Rance Aluminum Snowmobile Trailers

XTC500

There are only two drawbacks to their trailer that I can see from the pictures. Definitely not major though.

1. The protective checker plate on the front bottom doesn't wrap around the curled bull nose front. That is the point for most spray and susceptible to damage when accessing through the front door.

2. The front door is small. I wouldn't want to try climb in through it and do any more than reach into the trailer through it.

The torsion axles are good and there is debate on the tires. Some like narrow tires to cut through the snow others like fat tires to float on top.

Take a look at a couple of other things as well. Are the wheel rims galvanized or painted. Most sled trailers of this style are glavanized and look that ugly dull grey but they aren't rusty. Look at how the running gear is mounted to the frame of the trailer. Wherever you have steel and aluminum meet the disimilar metals will corrode each other. They need to be insulated from each other with either a nylon, plastic or rubber insulator and bolted with stainless nuts and bolts that won't react with either metal.

I have a similar trailer and one thing I have found is that when the top gets loaded with snow and ice... eat you Wheaties. It can add a lot of weight to the cap that you now need to lift even with the shock arms.

Lots of new sleds do not fit in 10' trailers. Any crossover or two up will be excluded from riding double in this trailer.

Only short track sleds can fit!

Lots of new sleds do not fit in 10' trailers. Any crossover or two up will be excluded from riding double in this trailer.

Only short track sleds can fit!

Ditto on this and also the width is an issue although not much can be done due to regulations. When I load my Venture Multi-Purpose on my 10' tilt trailer, the rear rack sticks out a bit and the ski is on the side of the other sled, making it difficult to tie down two sleds. Mine uses bars through the ski loops so it makes it very difficult (yes, it's that old but it works fine otherwise). Take measurements of the sleds you intend to load onto it and see how they would fit in the trailer.

Thanks for the input. I don't think we need a trailer capable of accommodating anything longer than a short track now, but who knows what might be needed in the future. I think it will require a road trip to check out the other points mentioned here. S.S. bolts, isolating the steel from the aluminum etc.

Thanks for the input. I don't think we need a trailer capable of accommodating anything longer than a short track now, but who knows what might be needed in the future. I think it will require a road trip to check out the other points mentioned here. S.S. bolts, isolating the steel from the aluminum etc.

I own a 2005 Rance Renegade XT-10 and I think it would be the next one up from this as it has the A frame tongue instead of just the main channel.

The good:

Value - all aluminum for a good price (compared to a Triton)and the steel options back when I bought

Pulls very smoothly with the torsion axles

Meets my requirements for the amount I tow

The areas of improvement:

Fit and finish - not bad, but not like a Triton. May have improved

Front access door could be larger (as mentioned) and sealed better

My front safety latching system sucked so I changed it completely. The trailer in the ad looks ok.

Bulb lights - I changed mine to LED last year and money well spent.

Although I have made some changes, I still like this trailer and would recommend it for the money. But take a hard look at it (and others) and then evaluate what is important to you. For me, I didn't want to pay $1500+ more at the time for a Triton. That being said, since I bought, there is more selection on the market.

Archived