Pressurized Fuel Pump - anyone use this?

slomo

Have been on the lookout for a good fuel transfer mechanism. The flo'ngo I had cracked with the first cold weather. The jigger suction works fine as long as you've got downward flow.

Happened upon this thing:

http://www.dockedge.com/products/list.asp?cat_id=pump_and_fill

which appears to pump up hill. Any experiences with it?

Have been on the lookout for a good fuel transfer mechanism. The flo'ngo I had cracked with the first cold weather. The jigger suction works fine as long as you've got downward flow.

Happened upon this thing:

http://www.dockedge....d=pump_and_fill

which appears to pump up hill. Any experiences with it?

I ave one and it works well. I found that the valve was a little hard to hold open as the lever is narrow and requires a bit of pressure to hold open. I have used a releaseable tie wrap to hold it open.

It is a simple idea.

Two hoses enter the fuel can through a single bung that goes in the pour spout hole. One is the fuel delivery and the other goes to the foot pump. When you use the pump, you are pressurizing the fuel can (it will swell a bit) and that forces the fuel out. I have even adapted the air intake to a hose from an air pig and used that instead of the foot pump. Just little shots of air move the fuel pretty quickly.

I've had it for a few years and it seems to stand up OK, although most of the use has been in a heated garage. The only parts that I see ever being an issue would be the foot pump and the valve. Both are easily replaceable with an alternative style quite cheaply.

Advertisements claiming superior performance but containing typographical errors always transfer a credility loss to the product claim with me.

It looks like more plastic. More cold weather cracking, UV deterioration and, I'm willing to bet, the 'patented cone connector' will be less than secure.

BUT..... in answer to your question: "no".

:-D

I ave one and it works well. I found that the valve was a little hard to hold open as the lever is narrow and requires a bit of pressure to hold open. I have used a releaseable tie wrap to hold it open.

It is a simple idea.

Two hoses enter the fuel can through a single bung that goes in the pour spout hole. One is the fuel delivery and the other goes to the foot pump. When you use the pump, you are pressurizing the fuel can (it will swell a bit) and that forces the fuel out. I have even adapted the air intake to a hose from an air pig and used that instead of the foot pump. Just little shots of air move the fuel pretty quickly.

I've had it for a few years and it seems to stand up OK, although most of the use has been in a heated garage. The only parts that I see ever being an issue would be the foot pump and the valve. Both are easily replaceable with an alternative style quite cheaply.

Interesting idea...but how many dineros? The catalogue seems to be lacking any pricing...not even any MSRPs...hmmmm.

Sledjunk, what was you experience with their claims regarding:

1. pumping fulids

2. the complete draining of redisuals

:-P

fulids?...redisuals?

Is that the gin talking again? Or has the dyslexia kicked in early today?

:rotflmao:

fulids?...redisuals?

Is that the gin talking again? Or has the dyslexia kicked in early today?

:rotflmao:

Click on the link - Read their promotional material. I worry about a product when the company doesn't take the time to push the 'spell check' button. :-P :razz:

Advertisements claiming superior performance but containing typographical errors always transfer a credility loss to the product claim with me.

??? PKB.gif:poke2::poke2::poke2:

It looks like more plastic. More cold weather cracking, UV deterioration and, I'm willing to bet, the 'patented cone connector' will be less than secure.

Actually, the cone works fairly well. I would have expected it to get scored where it contacts the edge of the fuel can, but it has stood up. As for the cold weather cracking, the only part I was concerned about would be the foot bellows but it seems to be OK. The good part is that none of the plastic parts come into contact with the fuel on a normal basis. The fuel runs inside a regular fuel hose (which is easily replaced).

As for the cost, I think it was $30 - $40 when my wife bought it for me four or five years ago.

....................I was concerned about would be the foot bellows but it seems to be OK. The good part is that none of the plastic parts come into contact with the fuel on a normal basis.

That's interesting there is no fuel/plastic contact. The experience I had with something simiar years ago had the fuel running through the bellows and the product didn't last a season. Cool.

??? PKB.gif:poke2::poke2::poke2:

Actually, the cone works fairly well. I would have expected it to get scored where it contacts the edge of the fuel can, but it has stood up. As for the cold weather cracking, the only part I was concerned about would be the foot bellows but it seems to be OK. The good part is that none of the plastic parts come into contact with the fuel on a normal basis. The fuel runs inside a regular fuel hose (which is easily replaced).

As for the cost, I think it was $30 - $40 when my wife bought it for me four or five years ago.

Thanks, SJ...interesting info.

One other thing I wondered about was whether this would work as a trail-side sled-to-sled siphon? (thus avoiding the need to find a snow-bank or whatever to position one sled higher than the other)...or would it be too bulky to carry around?

And STG, I think you've just been burned big time... :poke2::-P

That's interesting there is no fuel/plastic contact. The experience I had with something simiar years ago had the fuel running through the bellows and the product didn't last a season. Cool.

I had the same experience :banghead: and the Flo'n'Go turned out to be a piece of junk/complete waste of money. :angry:

Sledjunk, what was you experience with their claims regarding:

1. pumping fulids

2. the complete draining of redisuals

:-P

I have only used it for gas, but it should work for most any fluid. The biggest issue would be viscosity and the pressure required to move it. As I said earlier, I have pressurized it with an air tank but you need to be careful that you don't a)blow the cone out of the can or b:) over stress the can. I have only used it on the red 'jerry' cans so it may work better (or worse) with other containers.

As for complete draining, hmmm, it isn't too bad but it depends on placement of the hose in the fluid. Basically, the system doesn't suck, it blows! :rotflmao::rotflmao:

Thanks, SJ...interesting info.

One other thing I wondered about was whether this would work as a trail-side sled-to-sled siphon? (thus avoiding the need to find a snow-bank or whatever to position one sled higher than the other)...or would it be too bulky to carry around?

And STG, I think you've just been burned big time... :poke2::-P

I don't think it would work sled to sled because the reservoir needs to be sealed to keep in the pressure to force the fuel out the hose. On a sled tank, you would lose pressure out the vent hose and also possibly force feed fuel through the fuel system on the sled. However, if you could pinch / close those lines, a more compact version might work and be easier to carry.

trailside is easy on flat land. carry a large size outboard motor primer bulb and stick it in the end of your siphon hose.Shove the hose in the doner tank and pump right into the empty sled. Not fast but reliable.

Archived