Good News!!

Fred Quimby

MH wants back on snowmobile map

By Chad Ingram

Posted 3 hours ago

Minden Hills council wants to make Minden a snowmobiling hub again.

A $200,000 plan to revitalize Minden as a snowmobiling destination was unveiled at council's March 31 meeting and councillors voted to apply for $25,000 in funding from the Haliburton County Development Corporation (HCDC) to get the project started.

"How do we get Minden back on the snowmobile map?" asked Reeve Barb Reid as she gave councillors an overview of the proposed project, which aims to reaffirm Minden as a snowmobile-friendly area with a new marketing strategy that includes increased signage and enhanced accessibility, as well as a couple of bridge upgrades.

The plan grew out of conversations between the township, members of the Haliburton County Snowmobile Association and others such as the Haliburton ATV Association and county economic development director Bob Smith.

The township is hoping to access funding through the province's Rural Economic Development program, which is a fund-matching program.

This means in order for the township to gain the $100,000 it is looking for from the province, it must first have $100,000 to show.

The snowmobile and ATV associations have agreed to chip in a combined $50,000 and if the township is successful in its bid for HCDC funding, it will look in its own pockets for the remaining $25,000.

This amount would need to come from the 2010 surplus, or, possibly from the 2012 budget.

Minden was once a popular destination for snowmobilers.

"Things have changed in the past 10 years," Reid said, explaining that the decrease in snowmobile traffic, at least in part, has resulted from the termination of usage agreements on private land.

This has meant snowmobilers have had to travel on stretches of road in and around Minden.

"Minden essentially fallen off the snowmobile map," the reeve said, emphasizing that the village is often bypassed.

The township installed a floating snowmobile bridge traversing the Gull River last year in an attempt to address the issue.

My Two Cents.....

First. It was the snowmobile club that installed the awesome floating bridge. The council of the day put up a lot of red tape. The HCSA bent over to get that bridge in place and kudos to them! It is a great step in opening up Minden access!

Minden has been a PINTA to get into and out of for a long time. I have only sledded into Minden once in the last three years. The floating bridge was a great addition, however, the amount of road running to get near Minden is a nightmare. Plows do a great job of scraping down the edges to pure asphalt and they add a load of sand which is just great for the sliders too! It is just not a well sought after destination at all. Sad, Minden is a nice little town. They need to do more than clean up some trail issues to attract sledders. It is a start. They need to re-open the trails into and out of the Queen Elizabeth Park. That loop has been closed for ages..I signed a petition to re open that segment two years ago now and I have seen no action since. It would be nice as it would broaden the trail network some more and give riders some awesome views in that park!

The downtown is looking pretty dismal and dreary. Where Haliburton is usually buzzing with activity. Minden needs to attract some different shops and services. There was a great idea to develop some shops to sell goods from artisans who produce some really nice items locally..that has not materialized either. The choices in restaurants is pretty dim too. The Rockcliffe although nostalgic, is not that hot as far as serving up some really good food. It is a beer joint. A good one though:)

Sure there is a nice motel right on Hwy 35 and gas on the trail out of town, both are a bonus. They need to promote truck and trailer parking locations, and other services for sledders. Give Haliburton some competition and both will do well. There is planty of traffic in the area and both towns will flourish. It has been a major issue the past few years to get into and out of town. So much so that many have just written Minden off now as the issues went on too long. Part of that is the clubs fault and part of that is councils fault.

Both Haliburton and Minden are nice places. As I said..it's a great start.

That is good news. After staying away from Minden for years, we ventured in last year to check out the floating bridge. Bridge was neat, roads were snow covered on the day we were there due to fresh snow, but we remarked that we would not come back, because we wouldn't want to take a chance on that much road running. If they can put something together, I would go back for sure, but it is a big undertaking. Keep us informed if you can.

Minden always was a challenge even 30 years ago. The best route came in along the side of hwy 35 and stayed along it until across from Minto marine. Downtown was never easy or good.

Minden always was a challenge even 30 years ago. The best route came in along the side of hwy 35 and stayed along it until across from Minto marine. Downtown was never easy or good.

I vaguely remember Minto marine. Where were they exactly?

If you look hard, coming along 35, there is still one old trail marker attached to a sign post across and down from Kawartha dairy, where the old trail ran.

I vaguely remember Minto marine. Where were they exactly?

If you look hard, coming along 35, there is still one old trail marker attached to a sign post across and down from Kawartha dairy, where the old trail ran.

Just south of the south entrance to town last that I saw it was a Jug City.

When Minden started to expand out towards hwy 35, it drew attention away from Bobcaygeon Rd. Thusly began the slow demise of "downtown" Minden. Shops began to look shabby, business' closed or moved out towards the highway. There really was nothing to attract the general public, never mind sledders to the main strip. The old Dominion has been refurbished as has the Beaver theater (now closed again due to water issues, I believe). There is no Arctic Cat dealer in town anymore, Prentice is down the hwy a good distance and there is no Poo dealer anywhere near there. Other than gas and a couple restaurants, I don't know how they are going to attract people into town?

The "riverwalk" is very nice (in the Summer), as are some of the artsy shops. Again seasonal.

If they would re -open the QE park (trail 2), that would mean a significant amount more trail system! A lot of riders would now venture back to ride these trails. I am sure also gas up and eat in town too, and perhaps stay at the hotel on hwy 35. The trails into and out of Minden need the bridges, repairs and some re routes to be decent. Many years these sections of trails never open or are open briefly and have been known to become unreliable. The road running along Scotch line is brutal and boring. Then you have to navigate some tricky turns to get into town. Pretty easy to get lost. PO'd for sure. As WB said, it has been tricky for a long time.

Minden could be an excellent spot to drop off and sled from. It is in a good position to the rest of the HCSA trails, the Paudash system and Cardin system. I think trail improvements, signage and consistency will go along way to attract people back. The floating bridge was great! You no longer have to drive down the middle of Bobcaygeaon Rd and turn in between the Dominion Hotel and a building, two planters and parked cars to get to the trail through town.

• 5 months later...

all are great points/ideas,,,,but this is the best one,,

They need to re-open the trails into and out of the Queen Elizabeth Park
that is an awesome area to ride and if it was groomed,I may even get sledjunk back there again,, :coffeespit: :coffeespit: I think the old trail along 35 was closed because of the aging bridge,,,it made getting around a lot easier though!! I think clubs need to go and get the town on-board for groomed the ditch portion of the roads.It has been done in Quebec for years,,,as has grooming lakes,something that is still somewhat taboo around here.But the ditch portion of the road is key.We had a trail here that ran along 48 east for some miles,,,it worked good.

all are great points/ideas,,,,but this is the best one,, that is an awesome area to ride and if it was groomed,I may even get sledjunk back there again,, :coffeespit: :coffeespit: I think the old trail along 35 was closed because of the aging bridge,,,it made getting around a lot easier though!! I think clubs need to go and get the town on-board for groomed the ditch portion of the roads.It has been done in Quebec for years,,,as has grooming lakes,something that is still somewhat taboo around here.But the ditch portion of the road is key.We had a trail here that ran along 48 east for some miles,,,it worked good.

I recall that ride, lots of Beaverponds if I am not mistaken?? Also, didn't a certain someone almost buy a motel in Minden?

Archived