Halfway Haven Conditions

Ox

Message from Gail today reads:

Hi!

We just got tru 3 days of mild weather, but thank goodness not much rain here. The trails compressed, but there was a good base, so they held up.

It finally turned cold last night and we received about 3 inches of new snow. Its about -3 degrees C. now.

Steve just went for a ride south of here, and the trail was excellent! The cold weather tightened it up, and the fresh snow makes for a nice ride.

Don't know conditions nearer to Wawa or Searchmont, but at this end it's good!

Will update when I see riders come tru (none since Sunday)!

Bye for now

Gail

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Steve got some paint slathered on the sign eh? :lol:

New Message from today reads:

Hi Everyone!!

It's -10 C. and snowing, so that is a good thing!

Had a few riders come tru yesterday from Searchmont, and they said the trail was good. The base trail held up, and there was about 6" of new snow on it, so a good ride. (Two small water holes, that they said was no big deal)

The Lamtrac groomed from Wawa yesterday, so the north trail is newly groomed!

Bye for now

Gail

We have yet to make the run from Soo to Wawa, is fuel and food available at Halfway ?

yes, they have gas and food..........not sure how much gas is this year, but it don't matter.........it's the only place you can get it.

I think it's been about 6 years since I was at halfway. The place looks like it has doubled in size. We rode from the sault to searchmont and up to halfway. Had a bite to eat and then got ready to head back. The part that keeps us remembering that trip is the temperature dropped from about -5 C to - 35 c before we got back to searchmont. Thank god the guy stayed open late to give us gas. We had to stop at Searchmont to warm up inside and out before heading back to the sault.

The only "addition" is the new front room that he built on a cpl yrs ago. This is a GOD send! This opened up more seating for the meals and folks stopping on their way through, and gives much more room for folks to kick back in the evening and shoot the ... er ... tell lies... ;)

There have been some upgrades in the bathroom area last (?) yr too.

Does anyone know whatever happened to the feller from Jorja that wanted to ride the north country over Christmas? With the site down I just hafta wonder...

The only "addition" is the new front room that he built on a cpl yrs ago. This is a GOD send! This opened up more seating for the meals and folks stopping on their way through, and gives much more room for folks to kick back in the evening and shoot the ... er ... tell lies... ;)

There have been some upgrades in the bathroom area last (?) yr too.

Does anyone know whatever happened to the feller from Jorja that wanted to ride the north country over Christmas? With the site down I just hafta wonder...

That new front room is nice and bright - warms right up when the sun is shining. Good place for Bad stories ;)

Don't know what happened to that fellow doing the Christmas north country tour. Would like to hear what happened.

What are you dooing sitting in there in the afternoons? :o

Funny story aboot that room:

Me and my chumm were there while he was werking on it. He had pulled winders outta here and puting them there and yaddi yaddi....

In front of the one winder that he had put plastic over he had an old style manual two-man cross cut saw inverted and mounted over the winder. Now I could see that being on a wall for decor and all that rot, and maybe inverted too, but ??? But this is no-where's near finished so that didn't make any sence.

So I asked him the point of the saw? He said to Keep the bears out! Assuming that if they came to the winder and started pawing at it that they would git cut bad and quit.

He's telling me this as we are standing in the new room that is completely walled in glass! LOL!

Now they haven't had a bear in the new room yet that I know of, but they did have one rip his way into the kitchen a cpl summers ago and made a huge mess'a things. I believe he is on a wall somewhere now. ;)

Update:

Hi EVeryone!!

BRRRRRRRR>>> -27 C. right now

With snow storms in Searchmont, and also Wawa, yesterdays riders were pushing a lot of new snow---about a foot in Wawa, and the same in Searchmont.

We only received about 5" of snow here, and no storm, sunny & clear---same as today.

That's all that's new here

Bye

Gail

Talked to some that rode down to Halfway and back up to Wawa and said trail was fine - other than some left-over worsh-out that was fixed before they had gotten their meals and headed back!

Someone broke trail with a foot of fresh. Boy - sucks to be them eh? ;):D :P (wasn't us)

Jan 22 Update:

Hi!

Our cold snap seems to be over, only -15 C. this am, bright & sunny. We received about 7 inches of snow yesterday.

The Lamtrac is headed North today, so will update later.

Yesterdays riders said the trail is still good, but rough on the Whitman Dam Road, but get's better after that.

Bye for now

Gail

Update almost a day old right now - sorry for the delay. :oops:

Hi Everyone!!

Well our first busy "winter day------alright!!!!! Way better than last year at this time!!

Riders today rated the trail anywhere from "good" to "awesome" so it's time to ride!!

Sesonal temp. about -5C this am.

Groomed south last night, groomed north to the warm up shack today!! So the trails are in excellent shape!!

Bye !!

Gail

• 2 weeks later...

Update as of 10:21 this morning reads:

Hello!

Well, the Lamtrac is back after having service work done on it, so newly groomed from Wawa to Halfway, and he was out last night grooming south, so newly groomed south also, and the Sault Trailblazers came north a day or so ago-------so the whole system from Searchmont to Wawa should be very good!!!

Just received about an inch of snow last nite!! So it's pretty to boot!!!

Bye for now

Gail

New update as of this morning reads:

Hi Everyone!

Sorry for the lackof emails, but my acct. was hijacked & subsequently shut down, so we just got it back up & running!

Anyhow, the trails north & south are PERFECT, and I quote yesterdays riders. Unfortunately, there are very few riders, but the ones on the trail LOVE IT!!!

So if your thinking of riding, do it NOW!!!

Bye!!

Gail

Archived