Lake of Bays

Canuck

Has Lake of Bays been staked?

Baysville?

Dwight?

Baysville?

Dwight?

Canuck -- as of last Thursday, the South Portage-to-Dwight leg was still not staked, although there were zillions of tracks following that route. It may well have been done since, although the OFSC Interactive Trail Map still shows it in red today.

As for Baysville, as you likely know, the main basin of LOB typically freezes much later than the various bays, so I'd only be guessing, but I suspect that it is neither staked nor safe yet. Others may know better.

Hope that helps.

IrRev,

Thanks. I didn't know that the interactive map covered ice and will check later in the week.

Baysville?

Dwight?

Dwight to South Portage was staked on Saturday when I rode it.

Now - Baysville - I don't recall them ever staking the lake down to Baysville. Cannot comment on if people are running it either.

Dwight to South Portage was staked on Saturday when I rode it.

Now - Baysville - I don't recall them ever staking the lake down to Baysville. Cannot comment on if people are running it either.

Red Rocket -- thanks, that's good news about the South Portage/Dwight link now being staked, which must have occurred on Thursday PM or Friday. That then begs the question why the OFSC's Interactive Trail Map still shows it in red ("Closed"), 4 or 5 days later??? :wtf: Then again, the D103B alternate that crosses the south end of Mary Lake on a stake line (also staked last Friday) is also still shown in red on the OFSC map, despite the fact that the HGR club web-site confirms that it is staked and open...so what gives??? :icon_gunhead:

Red Rocket -- thanks, that's good news about the South Portage/Dwight link now being staked, which must have occurred on Thursday PM or Friday. That then begs the question why the OFSC's Interactive Trail Map still shows it in red ("Closed"), 4 or 5 days later??? :wtf: Then again, the D103B alternate that crosses the south end of Mary Lake on a stake line (also staked last Friday) is also still shown in red on the OFSC map, despite the fact that the HGR club web-site confirms that it is staked and open...so what gives??? :icon_gunhead:

Cannot say why the OFSC site is not updated. I don't really trust it anyway. More reliable info from sites like this IMO.

Update...we spent some time of the north end of Lake of Bays today (Dwight Bay). We saw or went through countless nasty slush spots (even the odd one right on the stake-line itself), some of them more than a few inches deep...so be careful anywhere on LOB, if you decide to venture off that Dwight Bay stake-line.

Update...we spent some time of the north end of Lake of Bays today (Dwight Bay). We saw or went through countless nasty slush spots (even the odd one right on the stake-line itself), some of them more than a few inches deep...so be careful anywhere on LOB, if you decide to venture off that Dwight Bay stake-line.

Further update...just got back from a 160 km loop, which concluded with a very fast post-lunch run on LOB from Dorset back up to the stake-line at South Portage, via the well-worn short-cut through Haystack Bay. That route up from Dorset was in great shape, all the way...there's been so much sled traffic that it was well packed and frozen, with only the odd rough spot. We made it up the lake in no time at all. :right_on:

So, as it relates to that specific route, ignore my previous comments above about slush and uncertain ice conditions. However, I can't offer any comments on ice safety or slush conditions on the main basin of LOB, or down towards Baysville. Know before you go...

baysville to dwight is never staked

ive never seen it at least.

i think ive only seen Dorset to Dwight once because of the points having thin ice.

Ive done Dorset to Dwight once but you need to travel over land for a bit.... lake is never safe in some spots

Archived