Haliburton-Ox Narrows Lodge/Restaurant

derf

Unconfirmed report,that new owners have lost the resort and that Ron and Dianne Reesor have taken it over again!!!!!! What good news this is to sledders in the area!!!!Cant wait for one of Diannes awesome dinners....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unconfirmed report,that new owners have lost the resort and that Ron and Dianne Reesor have taken it over again!!!!!! What good news this is to sledders in the area!!!!Cant wait for one of Diannes awesome dinners....

I heard this on another thread, but thanks for posting ! :right_on:

Food was terrible there last Winter. I thought maybe an off day..but on a return trip they were closed??? Went across to the firehouse where about thirty other sledders were eating. The OX was one of my stops for lunch and you could always get a great meal no matter what time of day.

• 2 months later...

Food was terrible there last Winter. I thought maybe an off day..but on a return trip they were closed??? Went across to the firehouse where about thirty other sledders were eating. The OX was one of my stops for lunch and you could always get a great meal no matter what time of day.

Hi Everyone

You would think everyone that reads or posts on here are old enough to understand that unless it comes from the Ox's mouth that it is only rumour...............Whoa it is close to 5 yrs and as far as my morgage payments I still own the Lodge....But Fact is yes we have sold and that the Ox is closed at the moment and New Owners (Not Past Owners)will be looking forward to having the doors open and welcoming you all. And for the people that had bad food there I wish I had known about it as anyone that knows me I would of made it right..Are you telling me that the past five yrs the food had been terrible....I find that hard to believe as we got great feed back on many things...our food beats Roast Beef heated in a bag...........For many a reason we have chosen no one else did the choosing we want to be with our family and enjoy the same things that you do..............See you on the Trails my Friends..

Thank you all Family and Friends for supporting us...

Thanks for clearing things up. I have enjoyed every visit to the ox and will continue to as long as I can. Hopefully now we can do some riding. Thanks for the years of good times and Merry Christmas.

Thanks for clearing things up. I have enjoyed every visit to the ox and will continue to as long as I can. Hopefully now we can do some riding. Thanks for the years of good times and Merry Christmas.

I agree, The Ox has always been great to me and everyone i know. Whether it be the previous owners, current owners and hopefully the new owners. Good food, reasonable prices and great service. Been to the Fire House as well a couple times. Pricey, average food and average service IMO. Ox Narrows wins my vote!

I agree, The Ox has always been great to me and everyone i know. Whether it be the previous owners, current owners and hopefully the new owners. Good food, reasonable prices and great service. Been to the Fire House as well a couple times. Pricey, average food and average service IMO. Ox Narrows wins my vote!

X2

Hi Everyone

You would think everyone that reads or posts on here are old enough to understand that unless it comes from the Ox's mouth that it is only rumour...............Whoa it is close to 5 yrs and as far as my morgage payments I still own the Lodge....But Fact is yes we have sold and that the Ox is closed at the moment and New Owners (Not Past Owners)will be looking forward to having the doors open and welcoming you all. And for the people that had bad food there I wish I had known about it as anyone that knows me I would of made it right..Are you telling me that the past five yrs the food had been terrible....I find that hard to believe as we got great feed back on many things...our food beats Roast Beef heated in a bag...........For many a reason we have chosen no one else did the choosing we want to be with our family and enjoy the same things that you do..............See you on the Trails my Friends..

Thank you all Family and Friends for supporting us...

Food always was great. Friendly chit chat, nostalgic place to eat and right on the trail. However, being honest..the day I was in there last Winter the food was surprisingly bad. Overdone fries, that tasted like stale fryer oil. S-l-o-w service. Sorry just being honest. I went back, however a week or so later, there was a sign on the door, "closed"?? Food, service and atmosphere was always top notch, which surprised me about my last trip there!! I was very surprised. Every establishment is entitled to an off day! That is why I went back. Sadly, you were closed and the firehouse was packed??

I am sure you have all heard the Old saying The grass is always greeener on the other side. We have cottaged and lived in the beautiful Highlands for the past 9 yrs...starting out as a vacant lot building a home that is our fulltime res. Before we had bought the Lodge we would ride over on our sleds and stop for Lunch or Dinner and enjoy what all other riders enjoyed...And we wanted a part of that...What a crazy idea to sell everything and up root our young family....it was our adventure.........that has come to an end.I originally put that post on to set things straight...as rumours are just that.........Others.. Thank you for your kind words.

Just like any business you have your haters and your supporters.I have learned from you all. Thank you

Thank you all

Ride with Care

The Shirl-girl

• 8 months later...

Unfortunately had a similar experience with a group that I was leading. As leader and the one that selected the lunch stop I felt specifically responsible for the less than satisfactory experience we had. Including the Cranky reception at the gas pumps. Wait times for meals and/or attention, deportment of wait staff, quality of food, and general "value" was the source of many negative comments I had to field. With little to no assistance from the paid employees.

The next year I led a group of about 25 into the Firehouse and the whole group was quite satisified. Too much of a gamble to lead any group back to the ox in my book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I dunno who actually owns it. I have been watching some renovations going on there over the Summer. It has actually been closed for most if not all Summer. I hope who or whomever owns it they re-open in time for sledding season! It was a favorite stop on my travels up that way. I am not going to sugarcoat my last experience at the risk of offending anybody. It was not a quality meal and I was less than impressed. The "usual" was always good and that is why I kept going back. My last two trips there were lousy, hence my switch to the firehouse which was really decent.

• 3 months later...

2 of us are headed to this area on Friday morning and are trying to figure out if the Ox Narrows Lodge is open this winter and if it is, has itchanged much over the last couple years because it's been a few since I've been up this way.

I also see where B trail is currently closed from the dump halfway to the D101B connection. Can anyone tell me if this route is passable at the present time or if there is a serious issue preventing someone from getting to D101B from Ox Narrows. Hopefully with the snow they are forecasted to get today and through the rest of the week it will help this and they will be able to open things up more by the weekend.

Last thing I was wondering are the conditions of the smaller lakes like St Nora, Kushog and Raven in order to get up to the D101B or 64 that way? Has anyone been running them or around them to see what they are looking like?

If these lakes are good to go then it kind of eliminates my first question and the need of running the B trail down to the D101B but either way I guess I'm just looking for some input on these questions.

Thank you for any and all input.

The last time I drove by Ox Narrows was a couple of weeks ago. It looked closed. I know there has been some work going on there, with reno's and I believe it is sold. I have heard it is not re-opening until the spring.Their number is not in service either. Lakes are very dicey. Some spots seem solid and then you hit water and slush. There has only been two recent cold days/ nights in the -24 range. Some guys are running the lakes, but I would not. I am on Boshkung next to Kushog and Boshkung just froze last week. Barely!!!

Have always had good food at the Firehouse. I hope the Ox re-opens! I would have thought they would try to be ready for sledding season?

I rode the west parts of big and little hawk, as well as all over sherborne. St nora & kushog should be fine, but like fred said dicey parts. Use at your own risk, but you wont have first tracks (unless snow has covered up the existing ones.)

Stay off the big lakes, they all finally capped over the weekend; halls, bosh, kennisis, redstone, kawagama.

THere are huts out on big hawk and its one of the larger deeper lakes but always freezes before big bosh and halls.

Trail 64 is Mint. Tall Pines is working on opening the 65/66 trails also

Thanks for the info. I won't go unless I see some tracks and I don't ever like stopping on any ice unless I am way off to the edge almost on a beach but it sure does make life easier when you can use some of these smaller lakes to get from point A to B especially on a busy weekend!

Thanks again!

I am on Boshkung next to Kushog and Boshkung just froze last week. Barely!!!

Fred, when we were kids, we had a cottage on the west side of Kushog near the very bottom of the lake. I think we were up there once w/ my Dad's '70 Oly' 335. Since there wasn't much in the way of trails, plus the fact the cottage wasn't winterized we only did it once. More sledding opportunities in the Apsley area (grandmother lived there) in those days.

I was talking to a chap a few years ago in Oshawa about sledding & he was familiar w/ Kushog thru a friend. He was saying that in addition to Ox Narrows, you have to watch the ice @ the narrows further south near Pipher's.

Fred, when we were kids, we had a cottage on the west side of Kushog near the very bottom of the lake. I think we were up there once w/ my Dad's '70 Oly' 335. Since there wasn't much in the way of trails, plus the fact the cottage wasn't winterized we only did it once. More sledding opportunities in the Apsley area (grandmother lived there) in those days.

I was talking to a chap a few years ago in Oshawa about sledding & he was familiar w/ Kushog thru a friend. He was saying that in addition to Ox Narrows, you have to watch the ice @ the narrows further south near Pipher's.

You could be right! That lake has some weird spots on it in the Winter. I have seen some spots that never freeze despite the rest of the lake being like a rock. It must be current or spring fed from the bottom that stops ice from forming properly.

Were you near where the old trail that ran from Boshkung to Kushog? Too bad that trail is long gone. I could go from my place, up Kushog and be at Ox narrows in minutes compared to trail running.

Heard from a reliable source that the Ox is under renovation and the gas pump and restaurant are gone. Doesn't sound like the lodge will be open for the winter.

Has been under renovation since the Summer. I don't even know who owns it now. It is a mystery. The cabins were long overdue for some work, the inside was nice enough though. Nostalgic.

I can't imagine there not being a restaurant there? If the new owners are relying on it just as a resort...could be a mistake.

Has been under renovation since the Summer. I don't even know who owns it now. It is a mystery. The cabins were long overdue for some work, the inside was nice enough though. Nostalgic.

I can't imagine there not being a restaurant there? If the new owners are relying on it just as a resort...could be a mistake.

I thought the same thing. Di told my buddy that it was a guy from Toronto who bought it and the gas and restaurant were gone. She didn't say if they were replacing the restaurant.

I used to have some old HCSA maps. I don't think there was anything near us. I also don't think the ice around the island as you approach would be too safe. Lots of current towards the dam. I've never snowmobiled south of Ox Narrows.

post-19781-0-07451700-1326853314_thumb.jpg

Archived