Haliburton-Ox Narrows Lodge/Restaurant

derf

I used to have some old HCSA maps. I don't think there was anything near us. I also don't think the ice around the island as you approach would be too safe. Lots of current towards the dam. I've never snowmobiled south of Ox Narrows.

I am not sure it was actually a HCSA trail??? It used to run up besides buckslides, and come out near the old trailer park. There is still another trail bed that you can see if you go up Town Lot road. It looks like it would have been right near your cottage, or a stones throw away. That particular trail would wind down towards what was Moorfield right near 118.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's an old "trail" that goes from our road (top of the big hill) over to 118. Comes out by "Dis Here Place".

I thought the same thing. Di told my buddy that it was a guy from Toronto who bought it and the gas and restaurant were gone. She didn't say if they were replacing the restaurant.

Welcome to the forum lannoc24. Hope you find lots of good information here and visit often.

There's an old "trail" that goes from our road (top of the big hill) over to 118. Comes out by "Dis Here Place".

I have been saving old maps. Every few years or so a trail seems to "vanish". HCSA 13 is an example. It used to run alongside Hwy 35 in Minden. There was another trail that ran up to the look out in Minden from 121. And then HCSA trail 3 that ran near the rail line. I had e-mailed the club to ask about these trails but nobody there even knew about them! Too much turn over in the club and things get lost.

Fred, these were a bunch of 8 1/2 x 11 photo copies. I think my Dad got them from a co-worker in the 70s after we sold the cottage.

Ox Narrows is now more or less a private cottage and cabin type place . Owners Rick & Brenda are from Port Perry and are trying to cater to local cottagers as far as marina docking.They hope to have a small snack operation next summer, but for right now are concentrating on fixing the place up. It is not open to the general public. There is no gas available at the old Ox .

P.S. check out The Firehouse on Facebook

Ice huts are on the lake , local knowledge says 8" of ice and slushy spots -- know before ya go. Sorry if this is a hijack (- I don't know what that is. )

Bucko

Thanks for the info. No problem about the hijack! Actually, you brought it back on topic! We aren't too concerned about those things here.

Fred, these were a bunch of 8 1/2 x 11 photo copies. I think my Dad got them from a co-worker in the 70s after we sold the cottage.

Kind of a nice keepsake, to preserve memories.

Ox Narrows is now more or less a private cottage and cabin type place . Owners Rick & Brenda are from Port Perry and are trying to cater to local cottagers as far as marina docking.They hope to have a small snack operation next summer, but for right now are concentrating on fixing the place up. It is not open to the general public. There is no gas available at the old Ox .

P.S. check out The Firehouse on Facebook

Ice huts are on the lake , local knowledge says 8" of ice and slushy spots -- know before ya go. Sorry if this is a hijack (- I don't know what that is. )

Thanks Bucko. It seems the old Ox Narrows was a bit of a mystery as far as it's disposition. It would be nice to see it as a restaurant again. I always enjoyed eating there until about a year ago when I had two back to back bad experiences there as did others. It was not Shirley or Derick (sp.) that were even there that day.

I have many great memories of the Firehouse...and Moon Winks days!

Right on Fred, Ron & Di are friends from high school. Their hospitality will be and is , hard to forget.

Derek & Shirley always treated us well. We should all wish Derek the best with his gettin' better . He had a bad fall a while back . Get better D. !

Thanks Bucko. It seems the old Ox Narrows was a bit of a mystery as far as it's disposition. It would be nice to see it as a restaurant again. I always enjoyed eating there until about a year ago when I had two back to back bad experiences there as did others. It was not Shirley or Derick (sp.) that were even there that day.

I have many great memories of the Firehouse...and Moon Winks days!

Yes Fred we were well served when the two restraunts were both going strong. I played guitar with Ron and Brian great times excellent food.

Yes Fred we were well served when the two restraunts were both going strong. I played guitar with Ron and Brian great times excellent food.

Was it called Huggy Bears then? when Brian owned it? I can remember being in there one night and Brian was making up shooters...suffice to say I don't remember much of the trip home.

Was it called Huggy Bears then? when Brian owned it? I can remember being in there one night and Brian was making up shooters...suffice to say I don't remember much of the trip home.

No moonwinks then I did not hang out at huggy bears much.

we are out on Mcbride island a a buddys place feb 5-10 or so. Will check out the FB page, also really enjoying Dons kawagama Tv updates from the Mountain out house marina. :D

Be careful on McBride Island ! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Ox Narrows 2012. Rick and Brenda would like to wish everyone a happy New Years from the Ox. We can see from the forum there is a lot of curiosity as to the future of this wonderful old place. After 10 months of clean up and reno's we have taken a well deserved break to recharge our batteries and enjoy our winter wonderland. With the reno's in progress we were only open to a few private atv and fishing groups in the lodge. The hill cottage and a few cabins were made available for rental. Some new dockage for our water access patrons. Boat ramp was tuned up. As far as the future of the buried fuel tank by the lake we will have to see. Our new kitchen is almost done. We ended the year with a New Years party dedicated to all our friends and gang that helped out with our project. There was good food. good friends,awesome band and fireworks to start the year off right. It will be a hard party to top next year. As the lodge gets back to its former glory all we can say for now is the Ox will Rock again. Best wishes from Rick, Brenda and our clan.

Ox Narrows 2012. Rick and Brenda would like to wish everyone a happy New Years from the Ox. We can see from the forum there is a lot of curiosity as to the future of this wonderful old place. After 10 months of clean up and reno's we have taken a well deserved break to recharge our batteries and enjoy our winter wonderland. With the reno's in progress we were only open to a few private atv and fishing groups in the lodge. The hill cottage and a few cabins were made available for rental. Some new dockage for our water access patrons. Boat ramp was tuned up. As far as the future of the buried fuel tank by the lake we will have to see. Our new kitchen is almost done. We ended the year with a New Years party dedicated to all our friends and gang that helped out with our project. There was good food. good friends,awesome band and fireworks to start the year off right. It will be a hard party to top next year. As the lodge gets back to its former glory all we can say for now is the Ox will Rock again. Best wishes from Rick, Brenda and our clan.

That's great to here.

Can wait to check it out next year.

It will be great to have what was once my favourite restaurant open again!!! Look forward to the re-opening..Please post when that is happening..........THANX....derf

Welcome "Ox Rocks". Glad to see the place opening up again!! Can't wait to eat there again! I am sure you had your hands full with the renos and such. Enjoy the Winter!! When do you figure you will be open again for normal hours? What sort of things will you have on the menu?

• 3 months later...

Just drove by yesterday (by car of course).The sign still reads "CLOSED 4 RENO". Any news on re-opening???????...derf

I talked to the owner when I was up there. He will be opening (I just can't remember what he told me now). Small steps. He is spending alot of money fixing the place up and doing it right the first time. He is from Port Perry. Nice guy.

I talked to the owner when I was up there. He will be opening (I just can't remember what he told me now). Small steps. He is spending alot of money fixing the place up and doing it right the first time. He is from Port Perry. Nice guy.

Did you ride thru the narrows as well??

Archived