Careful on the lakes

wutagoalie

Stories like this one always send a shiver down my spine. Trail permits are cheap insurance.....having the clubs stake the lakes when they are ready for riding eliminates the guess work and virtually all the risk. If it isn't staked...I just don't go. I'm happy to pay for my permit and the peace of mind the red stakes bring.

THis was a good friend of a good friend. :(

He was a local cottager and had been on the lake for years. There is no rational explanation for this.....

R.I.P.

THis was a good friend of a good friend. :(

He was a local cottager and had been on the lake for years. There is no rational explanation for this.....

R.I.P.

Dom we are very sorry for your loss it happens too quick ,but it does anywhere especially on the highway . Remember to live while you are alive.

Some Lakes might be ok, But most are not at this point.

The way i look at it, if there are no fisherman, and no huts around. Don't bother

http://www.metronews.ca/edmonton/canada/article/411481--opp-dive-team-finds-body-of-snowmobiler-who-went-through-ice-on-redstone-lake

Even if there are fishermen and huts doesn't mean it's all that safe. There were shots of ice huts out on either Couchiching or Simcoe with open water just a couple hundred feet away and one of those fishermen went through the ice on their ATV.

I rode this area on saturday and sunday. Head lake is safe in haliburton if you know where to go. (There is no way red lake is safe. It is close to 200 feet deep) They should have never been out there. I dragged raced up and down in front of the town centre for a few hours on head lake. I stayed off all of the big lakes, since they were wide open a week and half ago. The area has lots of snow, just needs abit of cold to thicken the ice. I did 200km. Trails were rough, since not much grooming going on yet.

Even if there are fishermen and huts doesn't mean it's all that safe.

The folks renting huts are probably a better source for info. I don't think they'd want to jeopardize themselves going out on the ice if it's not safe.

I was sledding on saturday off chandos. Our cottage is on west bay and there was still open water in the middle of the bay friday when we arrived . Saturday it was closed but a cannot imagine the rest of the lake was thick at all. It's tragic to hear of the loss sometimes running the roads to get to the trail are not that bad especially if it avoids this happening.

there was still open water in the middle of the bay friday when we arrived . Saturday it was closed but a cannot imagine the rest of the lake was thick at all.

Add half an inch of snow & some fools figure there's 8" of ice.

Archived