Supertrax Magazine Great Ambasadors of the Sport?

smokeater466

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This shouldnt be and isnt a hate on for Supertrax Magazine. Smokeater is merely offering his version of the events and Luke Lester is offering his. Please take them both and we should all check our attitudes and egos at the door. Leave it at this. Never leave a stranded rider down. Im sure we all do!

Why dont have some good stories about helping stranded riders instead of the negative. This is the OC our living room on the internet!

BTW- I am now going to stop snowing stranded riders as I drive by! :D

do you pull into a gas station and ask a motorist with his hood up if he needs help? I probably wouldn't.

I failed to see where he stated he was sitting in the parking lot of a sled dealer or repair shop so I'm not sure your analogy really applies.

PS, I have often stopped at the side of the road or in a parking lot and asked a stranded motorist if they needed help. I guess that makes us different types of people.

I think you should re read what I wrote. NOwhere did I mention "parking lot" or "road" and "not stopping" in the same sentence.

if you had read my comments and now Luke's you would realize how silly you sound. you are damn right we are different people, and thank you for pointing that out. you are a true ambassador of this sport (stereotypically speaking)

do you pull into a gas station and ask a motorist with his hood up if he needs help? I probably wouldn't.

I failed to see where he stated he was sitting in the parking lot of a sled dealer or repair shop so I'm not sure your analogy really applies.

PS, I have often stopped at the side of the road or in a parking lot and asked a stranded motorist if they needed help. I guess that makes us different types of people.

I think you should re read what I wrote. NOwhere did I mention "parking lot" or "road" and "not stopping" in the same sentence.

if you had read my comments and now Luke's you would realize how silly you sound. you are damn right we are different people, and thank you for pointing that out. you are a true ambassador of this sport (stereotypically speaking)

This is not a schoolyard. Keep the comments positive or we shut this down. Despite all the negativity, this thread actually is fairly relevant! And I for one see good coming from this discussion!

This is not a schoolyard. Keep the comments positive or we shut this down. Despite all the negativity, this thread actually is fairly relevant! And I for one see good coming from this discussion!

I agree, this is not a school yard & even though ther is some negativity in this thread some good will come of it reminding people to stop & help when the need arises. As mentioned above there are always 2 sides to a story. I believe it is great that Supertrax has responded in this forum...a point has been made so lets stop throwing stones & get back to the good stuff.

I wasn't the guy with the gas can , but on the edge of the trail in Haliburton. I subscribe to your magazine but you can keep if if you feel I sullied your reputation, which appears to be all your concerned about. You gave me no thumbs up and I am sorry if i wasn't correct on the number of sleds - you had about one from every brand. My head was under my hood.

I do not appreciate your tone. I did not attack your character. I am sure you are a great guy, loving husband , clean living family man. I just made an observation.

I do not want to engage in a war of words with you. I wish you the best of luck in the future but I do not appreciate you assertion that my version of event was incorrect (insinuating - I was being untruthful?). I have no bone to pick with you. Nor do I have any affiliation with any of your competitors. Perhaps you did not see me and we will leave it at that. Your reply leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I've had about enough of being attacked.

I did have a couple of riders that stopped and asked if I needed asistance, I had my cell and at that point help was on it's way. Snowmobiliers by and large are salt of the earth type of people who would help anyone in need and be your best friends for life.

Actually smokeater, you did attack my character, and that of the entire Supertrax Crew. My character is something I value greatly and will defend to the end. Your observation, and the title to this thread suggests that an entire group of people (the Supertrax Crew) are not representing the sport they love properly because of one situation. Thats a pretty big deal. Im not mad, Im simply concerned that your comments, about one situation, will have a negative impact on people who truly do love this sport and have worked the better part of their lives to help and support the sport. Now im not saying its impossible we didnt stop to help. However, my response was intended to show that we do stop to help. We have done our part to help countless people. And, we have been helped by others. Read the posts following your first post. Did what you wrote foster negative impressions of me and my crew? Yes it did, thats not something I take lightly.

Also, note that I did apologize for not stopping. For missing you when you needed help. Things like, how far you were from town and what you were doing the moment we passed you could have influenced this but if nothing else you have given me and the rest of the crew a desire to be even more vigilant than we already are. However, no one should be judged by ONE mistake.

Let me ask this, has anyone on this forum ever ever ever passed a sled and wondered if maybe you SHOULD have stopped, but chose not to? Can anyone here say that you always, %100 of the time, stop for broken or stranded riders? If you even have to think about this you are admitting you have been in the same situation the 5 of us were in on sunday. You had to evaluate what you were seeing and make a choice. Apparently the choice we made was not the right one as smokeater DID need help. Perhaps what we saw looked different, perhaps it looked like he wasnt in as much distress as he really was. Its just a thought I had as I pondered why its so easy for people to attack others when things dont happen the way they want.

Again, I want to state Im not angry. Im concerned. I think this is a valid topic. I think snowmobilers should stop and help whenever needed. But I wont let people question my motives/ability to represent this sport without an explanation.

Luke Lester

You sure came across as angry and defensive in your first post, A calmer, "sorry we missed you, but we did check several others that day" would have sufficed instead of a overly defensive rant.

I saw no hate against Supertrax in this post, just people concerned about actions on the trail.

Todd

We were called

Super Jackass Donkeys Rears

Clowns

and Cocky

That sounds non hateful... just concerned, right?

Also a note:

It was suggested that the Supertrax crew doesnt volunteer with their local clubs.

Mark Lester served as the Vice President of the HCSA for upwards of 13 years, John Arkwright is extremely active in his. Kent Lester worked with the HCSA for years also. A.J. and I have volunteered for work projects and clear trails each season.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Luke

You continue to come across in a very negative manner, Im just concerned your not doing youself any favours by being so defensive and taking these way to personally, its the internet people love to hide behind the keyboard.

Im just saying, you need to take it a little better, its a learning experience for all.

Todd

Warwick Snowmobile club

Man, talk about a whole lot of hate over ONE persons experience from ONE persons perspective. Has anyone thought that maybe the situation didn't happen EXACTLY as ONE person says it did. When was the last time you were involved in an argument/conflict that happened exactly as both sides says it did?

I was there, I work for Supertrax Magazine. I was on that ride, on sunday. Let me point out a few things that are simply not correct.

First, we had 5 sleds with us, not 8-10. Observation is important here, no?

Second, we saw no less than 3 stranded sleds that day. Each time we slowed down, gave the thumbs up sign, when the stranded rider gave us the signal things were o.k. we continued on. Each time the rider was either with a group, or in one case, was at the sled with a 5 gallon can of gas. As a note, the ONLY person I saw in distress with a child was this the guy with the gas can. However, he was with his son and was already at the sled, with the gas. What were we to do at that point? Stop and fill it for him?

I have, as have every other member of the Supertrax crew, on countless occasions, stopped and helped stranded riders. I have offered my cell phone, pulled sleds from the ditch and given rides to those whose sleds were broken. I have also bought belts for guys who needed them, given my spare belt to people who needed it and driven to a gas station, filled a 5 gallon can, driven back to a sled and filled it for a guy who was out of gas. On each occasion I did NOT ask for money. Why??? because I am extremely lucky and %100 thankful in every way to have the position in this industry that I have. I respect the fact that it is YOU the riders and snowmobilers all over North America that make Supertrax what it is. Without you, were just a bunch of people who love sledding.

To add to this defensive rant I'm on I would like to say this: On my way home from an 8 day business trip this past friday night. Thats right, away from home and my family for 8 days... I saw a car spin out and flip into the ditch. I was only a few miles from home, i was tired, id been flying all day, it was 9:30 at night. What did I do? I stopped, turned around and waited with the couple in the car for 2 hours while the police and tow truck arrived. I called the tow truck myself and let them use my phone to call the police and their families. I DO stop to help, I have ALWAYS stopped to help and I ALWAYS WILL stop to help.

Im truly sorry if we did, in fact, drive past you on sunday smokeater. But if you think, that by this one action, the crew of Supertrax Magazine have proven we are not good ambassadors of this great sport you are seriously mistaken.

Sincerely

Luke Lester

Supertrax International Magazine

SnowTrax Television

WOW, maybe a simple "sorry we missed you, we would have stopped if we had seen you were in distress" would have sufficed here. Starting out by questioning the posters honesty is a little over the top isn't it?

PS, I called your group Donkey's rear ends as I would call any sledder who would drive past another with the hood up and not stop one too.

Hey Luke.. Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking the time to post on this forum about the issue. This has brought up some good conversation about stopping to help people out. I see both sides of this issue and in the end, if people learn to help out others on the trail it's a good thing. I don't see this as a SuperTrax hate thread, it's questioning something that bothered someone a great deal and as far as SuperTrax goes, myself and others don't really know much about Supertrax. The fact that you have joined us and is great and I hope in the end everyone can move on. Your family has done alot for snowmobiling over the years and I thank them for that. I'm not sure if you are new to forums, but sometime things get pretty emotional.

Your just lucky your not from Collett :coffeespit::coffeespit: (that's another story)...

Hey Luke.. Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking the time to post on this forum about the issue. This has brought up some good conversation about stopping to help people out. I see both sides of this issue and in the end, if people learn to help out others on the trail it's a good thing. I don't see this as a SuperTrax hate thread, it's questioning something that bothered someone a great deal and as far as SuperTrax goes, myself and others don't really know much about Supertrax. The fact that you have joined us and is great and I hope in the end everyone can move on. Your family has done alot for snowmobiling over the years and I thank them for that. I'm not sure if you are new to forums, but sometime things get pretty emotional.

Your just lucky your not from Collett :coffeespit::coffeespit: (that's another story)...

Can you hear me now?!?!?

I agree, Rick. This thread has brought up some good points and, hopefully, given everyone some food for thought.

We were called

Clowns

and Cocky

Also a note:

It was suggested that the Supertrax crew doesnt volunteer with their local clubs.

Mark Lester served as the Vice President of the HCSA for upwards of 13 years, John Arkwright is extremely active in his. Kent Lester worked with the HCSA for years also. A.J. and I have volunteered for work projects and clear trails each season.

Luke

Luke:

Let's be very clear and this is the last time I will address anything towards you. I was the one who began the discussion, it was I to whom you directed your response and I said none of the names you listed above. I asked the question as to whether you volunteered with the clubs? and I thank you for your direct involvement. Ive grown tired of this discussion, your attacks on my character and your maligning of my intentions.

Steven Buckingham

P.S.take me off the subscription list please

I was not trying to be negative, I was just trying to remind him that as a representative of Supertrax and the Lester family any response he makes is a reflection upon the company and should be carefully considered.

Sometimes when your a representative its tough to draw the line between individual feelings and good PR.

The Lester family has done much for the sport, and Im sure this was just an oversight given the circumstances, but the response to criticism could have been a little less retaliatory.

Cheers, Todd

Each response was pre-read by Mark, A.J. and the rest of the Trax crew. Each response was carefully and thoughtfully worded, then posted with their full approval and consent.

On a different note, to all the Skidoo guys here (I've noticed many of your names are skidoo related) I've been at the 2009 Skidoo intro all week. I cant talk about what I've seen but I think you'll all be very happy when the embargo is released. Much of what we've seen is already rumor/common knowledge. But some of it is new and pretty sweet.

Polaris guys will be really pleased also. I was at their intro last week. I was really impressed and liked what I saw/rode.

Arctic has some big news too. Cool new stuff for next year.

I wasn't at the Yamaha intro so I don't know what's going on there. But I'm sure they've got some new tricks up their sleeves also.

Probably more important than the new iron is the news that the new-non current overage is finally getting cleared up. All MFGs are reporting very clean inventories of non current sleds. Which is really good for the industry as a whole. Its been upwards of 7 years since its been this way.

Just some scuttle for you all to ponder.

L.

We were called

Clowns

and Cocky

Also a note:

Luke

Luke:

Let's be very clear and this is the last time I will address anything towards you. I was the one who began the discussion, it was I to whom you directed your response and I said none of the names you listed above. I asked the question as to whether you volunteered with the clubs? and I thank you for your direct involvement. Ive grown tired of this discussion, your attacks on my character and your maligning of my intentions.

Steven Buckingham

P.S.take me off the subscription list please

Man, sorry to see a thread go like this. I have owned and operated a few different web forums over the years, as well as been admin, mod, whatever on other sites. I also regularily ride with the supertrax crew, and am good friends with both A.J and Luke as well as the whole fam. The #1 problem with forums, is that they are very poor communication tools for situations like this. Great places for rants and contraversy, random info, trail conditions etc., but almost impossible to create a positive situation where understanding and a common ground is needed and feelings are involved.

Lukes first post did draw attention, and trust me, if you knew luke in person, he is one of the most caring guys you could meet. Luke has been there for me through a near roll over accident, directed traffic in the rain while I delt with my vehicle, helped me big time when my second daughter was born, we worked side by side in construction together for over 6 months doing crazy things watching eachothers backs, and you know who was there 10 times out of 10... luke. He is a direct guy, but it is that quality that shines through to make him such a stand up guy.

Sorry they missed you on that ride, it is a really busy section of trail and its too bad you got missed, you were in town with all the services including a repair shop, gas, food, hotel all within walking distance. I don't want that to be an excuse, but being in town with tons of sleds and car traffic around does make a difference. However, if you were out in the bush and in need, those are the guys who you would want to see, because they would get you out. If you had of waved them down for some help, for sure 100%, they would have stopped. Even if you just stopped to have a chat with them, which so many people do on every ride we go on, you can get suspension setups that are gold straight from Motorhead himself who spends hours tweaking the sleds to find the sweet spots, find out whats in the pipe, what conditions are like all over our region, get directions, on literally every ride, we talk to the public and are there to help whenever we can.

Honestly Steven, I urge you to keep your subscription, if Luke offended you, I am certain he did not mean to, the whole crew are great guys, they sponsored me in racing when I was really in need, they were my first customers of my construction company when I went out on my own, they have been there for advise, help, and so many aspects of my life since the day I met them. There are many others who they have helped out just like me, when they really didn't have to. So I'll say thanks to the guys, and happy riding, if you see us out on the trails this weekend, wave us down so we can meet and hopefully you will see that all of us are pretty much average guys out there having fun, and trying to do the best we can for our sport.

BTW, I always mark volunteer for my region on my permit papers, and have helped the supertrax crew get the chainsaws out to cut trees in our area, I even saw motorhead himself on the end of a stihl last year just outside minden.

Jordan Elliott

Man, sorry to see a thread go like this. I have owned and operated a few different web forums over the years, as well as been admin, mod, whatever on other sites. The #1 problem with forums, is that they are very poor communication tools for situations like this. Great places for rants and contraversy, random info, trail conditions etc., but almost impossible to create a positive situation where understanding and a common ground is needed and feelings are involved.

Hey 15....Impossible to create a positive situation? Hmmmm , not on this forum.... What we have here is an open conversation and the only ones that are doing the rants are you and Luke (coming onto a forum and calling someone a lair is not the proper thing to do). This forum is about open conversation and unlike other forums, the bullies and blow holes are taken care of very quickly. Your posting is self-serving and not an open conversation. On this forum, we talk about things in a civil manner. I hope you stick around and see how this forum works. One posting rants by new members has a much effect as 1 cm of blowing snow.

In the end, smokeater was on the side of his trail with his kid (fact) and the Supertrax group blow by them (fact).... I hope with all of your snowmobiling and forum experience you stick around and share your knowledge with us. Good luck racing.. Rick

Well having a new (to me) sled and planning to go on the OFC trails someday I did learn something in this thread. If I'm stopped on the side of the trail/road with my hood up I will wave passing sleds if I need help or give them the thumbs up if I'm ok. There is no way I can't here them coming and this will remove any confusion for both sledders.

Hey PhatboyC .. Congrats and the sled and glad you where able to learn something from this.. I have stopped countless times and asked people if they need help.. Lots had runout of gas and had a buddy going for some gas. And the more remote the area, the more we need to be on the lookout for people in trouble.

Have a nice weekend with your new toy.. Rick

The rants expressed by Supertrax do not surprise many who have seen thier dark side . Some folks abuse power the media has power . At the end of the day we are all equal and common decency should prevail where we help out our fellow citizens. We all make mistakes I suspect simply stating gee we are sorry, would have ended the the conversation instead of the self important rant . Maybe they can learn from this.

smokeeater466 if you were truly in distress with your child present, I'm quite sure hearing 5 sleds approaching you could of pulled your head out from under the hood long enough to motion for assistance. GAURENTEED they would of stopped no doubt in my mind at all, probably figured you were adjusting something or other, HONESTLY you know better, the 'flash and the dash 'got the hair on your back up implying you know where I'm going with this, they absolutely would have assisted you. ps. this thread has plenty of MERIT, as ice and lake issues do, definetly keeps us aware and reminded ;)

Archived