Kushog Lake Question

revrnd

I was looking @ a GPS file tonight & it showed bad ice/open water @ the narrows towards the south end of the lake. I'm not talking about Ox Narrows or the part of the lake near the dam.

We didn't do much sledding over there from the cottage when we got our first sleds. I didn't know the ice was bad there. From what I can recall boating up thru there, I can't see how you'd get around it (unlike up @ the Kushog/Lake St. Nora narrows).

The only other open water I'm aware of in that area is on 12 Mile where 1 of the Harrison boys drowned years ago.

The narrows at the bottom are not usually all that bad . We lived there for years and only remember 1 incident were a car went through . Most of the ice in these narrows is ok but there is a boulder towards the west shore that causes a thin spot about 10-15 feet around. As well there is bad ice under the bridge ,at St.Noras narrows and in front of the entrance to the Buckslides river on Kushog . As for Boshkung on Big Boshkung at the northe end bad ice at the north end near were Halls lake comes in .Bad ice at the Beech river (been in the water there myself with tigger tim :oops: )

Bad ice were Buckslides comes in . Then a large open area under hwy 118 with very unstable ice near it . Wayne Harrison died in 12 mile lake in a very dangerous area . The way that the current comes into the lake it hits bottom and rises to the surface creating a boil or thin ice area away from the narrows . It was here the Wayne had gotten lost on the lake at night and died despite knowing the area like the back of his hand .

It was here the Wayne had gotten lost on the lake at night and died despite knowing the area like the back of his hand .

Bill thanks for the explanation. We knew the family from going up to visit them from the cottage.

I had a scare on Chandos back in the 80s. It was snowing out & running the roads was OK. I got onto West Bay & about a 1/4 mile out, you couldn't see anything. I wasn't afraid of open water, but hitting any of the exposed rock piles. I made a slow turn to the left until I could see the shoreline. Followed it to where I came onto the lake. Fortunately the folks @ that particular cottage always had a string of patio lanterns on.

The narrows at the bottom are not usually all that bad . We lived there for years and only remember 1 incident were a car went through . Most of the ice in these narrows is ok but there is a boulder towards the west shore that causes a thin spot about 10-15 feet around. As well there is bad ice under the bridge ,at St.Noras narrows and in front of the entrance to the Buckslides river on Kushog . As for Boshkung on Big Boshkung at the northe end bad ice at the north end near were Halls lake comes in .Bad ice at the Beech river (been in the water there myself with tigger tim :oops: )

Bad ice were Buckslides comes in . Then a large open area under hwy 118 with very unstable ice near it . Wayne Harrison died in 12 mile lake in a very dangerous area . The way that the current comes into the lake it hits bottom and rises to the surface creating a boil or thin ice area away from the narrows . It was here the Wayne had gotten lost on the lake at night and died despite knowing the area like the back of his hand .

BANG ON!

I have cottaged on Hall's Maple and now Big Boshkung for 40 years now. HCSA 15 runs across Hall's and down to Bosh near where Hall's flows into Boshkung. (Buttermilk Falls). Very dangerous area. Where the Beech river flows into Bosh is bang on within a stones throw of where I am now and it never freezes. Your best bet is to use trail 4 and run south instead of those lakes. Some wicked open water if you don't know the area.

I should've mentioned seeing the where Buttermilk Falls runs into Boskung. Both times I've ridden in the area were down the #4 (now TOP B) trail to Carnarvon. Never been out on the lakes other than the top end of Kushog/St. Nora & Raven.

here is the area in question,,,

Kushog.jpg

As I had stated just around the one boulder on the west shore other than that I have seen logging equipment run down the ice on the other shore . Tha boulder was a bit of a mine field in the summer too! The filks that owned the cottage there decided to mark it with an old lifejacket and went away for the day . No less than 10 people hit that rock that day trying to get the lifejacket :rotflmao:

It was here the Wayne had gotten lost on the lake at night and died despite knowing the area like the back of his hand .

Bill thanks for the explanation. We knew the family from going up to visit them from the cottage.

I had a scare on Chandos back in the 80s. It was snowing out & running the roads was OK. I got onto West Bay & about a 1/4 mile out, you couldn't see anything. I wasn't afraid of open water, but hitting any of the exposed rock piles. I made a slow turn to the left until I could see the shoreline. Followed it to where I came onto the lake. Fortunately the folks @ that particular cottage always had a string of patio lanterns on.

You sound like the ideal candidate for a GPS... in your case you weren't concerned about open water but othe spots like Georgain Bay open water is a concern. If you find yourself in a whiteout and don't know which way you are going. Turn around and follow the route recorded on the GPS back to where you came from. No mistakes no worries about hitting something unseen since you were already there.

You sound like the ideal candidate for a GPS... in your case you weren't concerned about open water but othe spots like Georgain Bay open water is a concern. If you find yourself in a whiteout and don't know which way you are going. Turn around and follow the route recorded on the GPS back to where you came from. No mistakes no worries about hitting something unseen since you were already there.

Not to worry. revrnd is well GPS loaded.

This was long before GPS was known to the general public. This was @ night, so ever since I try to get down lakes before it's dark. Even then I've been thru whiteouts in the middle of the day.

STG is right, I may not have the most recent model, I usually have my Legend Cx in its mount.

Archived