Sled insurance

b-bry

• 4 weeks later...

I have td as well. I pay about 240 a year for an 03 700CC triple yamaha, everything except collision. If you have one ticket TD won't take you. They only insure the low risk population at least it was this way when I signed up 5 years ago.

I pay $349 for my Ski-Doo '09 GSX Limited 600 (eTech) and $357 for my Ski-Doo '08 GSX Limited 600.

Interesting that the 08 is more.... :?

TD bases their rates on value which is true but they base it on the value you give them when you first get the insurance. Obviously, they will only pay you current market value in the event of an accident.

Each year I call in to TD and change the value of my sleds to reflex current market value and they lower my rates accordingly. If you don't make the call, they will continue to charge you the higher rate.

I'm thinking in this case the '08 was valued higher than the '09 at purchase....?

TD bases their rates on value which is true but they base it on the value you give them when you first get the insurance. Obviously, they will only pay you current market value in the event of an accident.

Each year I call in to TD and change the value of my sleds to reflex current market value and they lower my rates accordingly. If you don't make the call, they will continue to charge you the higher rate.

I have found that all insurance companies do this as normal business practice. Not just for snowmobiles but cars, boats... everything. Every time I get a renewal I call them and reset the insured value. It is nothing more than a scam by the insurance and really shouldn't be allowed. They know exactly what they will pay out on a total loss based on book value and are likely better able to tell you the book value without you searching for it. They should automatically adjust each year but they don't If I didn't call every time a policy renews I would be spending significanctly more money for insurance. If you buy a $12,000.00 sled new you pay premiums on $12,000.00. If it is a total loss and they pay you out a few year later you may only get $6,000.00 book value regardless of the fact you have paid premiums on $12,000.00.

Archived