Caramat

revrnd

We passed thru Caramat on our way to M'wadge, is there any life there? Place looked like a veritable ghost town. What is or was there for it to exist?

Qwissy's (which I'd heard of in the past) is closed & up for sale if anybody is looking @ getting away from the rat race.

Funny thing aboot Caramat:

We were in Man overnight prox 10 yrs ago. Was fueling up in the morning before heading out and we were heading to Hearst. Didn't want to go into Longlac just to fuel up and then backtrack. I asked the gurl at the gas station if there was gas in Caramat?

She said that she didn't know...

"You don't know?" :wtf:

Said she'd never been there. :confused:

:whatever:

:lol:

We did git gas there - and to date - I aint never been all the way into Longlac ever. Been close to it on both sides, but never all the way into town. :wtf:

I assumed it was surviving on lumber trucks?

Edit

Come to think of it - I think Longlac is the ONLY town from Nippigon to Timmins that I aint been to at some point along the way at least once. Hmmmm, I may hafta git werkin' on that? :o

The Greenstone Portal describes Caramat like this:

"This small hamlet began as a Canadian National Railway flag station in the 1920’s. Over time forestry and tourism have fueled the economy of this quaint northern village. Famous for its Annual Caramat Fish Derby, this year visitors will travel from far and wide to compete in its 50th year running!

For hikers and nature lovers, High Falls is a must see! Residents of Caramat enjoy a variety of local services including a community club and an elementary school while living enveloped in the beauty and serenity of the northern wilderness."

Really the only thing there is the community club and the elementary school. There was lots of discussion about the school in recent years in that there's one student in a grade that will continue thru elementary school being the only student in his grade until they're ready to go to high school. How affective is that?

Small and quaint - it's really sad everything is closed up and for sale. By the way, I lived here for 7 years before I ever went to Caramat..... :woot:

I looked on NR Canada's webside & the topo map shows more than what we noticed. I'm always up for an adventure, so maybe I'll have to do a road trip & check it out this summer.

Kind of like Hornepayne, I've been thru there by train several times & 5 of my sled trips, but never driven thru there by truck.

About the only major road up north I haven't driven on is from TB to Ft. Frances along the MN border.

so is there still gas here or not?? doesn't sound like it.

Didn't look like it. The pumps were tarped up & no sign of any snow plowing.

Went thru there two years ago and talk to a plow truck driver/ guide and he said there was no gas in town (or lack there of). Got to go to Hillsport or Longlac

Dave

Went thru there two years ago and talk to a plow truck driver/ guide and he said there was no gas in town (or lack there of). Got to go to Hillsport or Longlac

Dave

No gas in Caramat. I was through there a week ago. Hillsport or Longlac is correct.

Archived