Need some help

wannago

Some of our group had planned on doing the RAP tour next week but with the weather have decided to cancel and head north.

Looking for some ideas as to where to head, Cochrane or maybe Timmins. Anyone have any suggestions for destinations and places to stay.

Has anyone heard what the conditions are like up there with the mild weather and rain, is it worth making the drive?

Thanks

We were in the same boat, and put together this trip 'on the fly'. Thanks are extended to doktorc...and his group for pm's back and forth.

A caveat - we are on the Hwy 400 axis (Parry Sound area) so Elliot Lake is our launch point. If you're closer to Hwy 11, New Liskeard or Cochrane.might be a better launch.

We first considered this 6 day trip (too long for time available) -

6 DAY RIDE

Elliot Lake to Chapleau 280 km

Chapleau to White River 267 km

White River to Hornpayne 304 km

Hornepayne to Wawa 254 km

Wawa to Sault St. Marie (or Searchmont) 337 km (280 km)

Sault St. Marie (or Searchmont) or Elliot Lake 270 km (235 km)

Instead, we're going with this 4 DAY RIDE

Elliot Lake Lodge to Chapleau

Chapleau to Wawa via Dubreauville

Wawa to Sault Ste. Marie

Sault Ste Marie to Elliot Lake

About 1300 kms.

There are great resources for the Algoma area and our route is on this pdf

Thank you very much! Great info. We will be leaving from Burks Falls so will likely start at Cochrane.

Not sure how many days's you're looking at but you have to head to Kapuskasing, the Northern Corridor is awesome...........always a great ride there!

You can't go wrong heading to Cochrane, it's one of my favorite places to ride. Still gotta get there this year!

Evil

Thank you very much! Great info. We will be leaving from Burks Falls so will likely start at Cochrane.

Not sure how many days's you're looking at but you have to head to Kapuskasing, the Northern Corridor is awesome...........always a great ride there!

You can't go wrong heading to Cochrane, it's one of my favorite places to ride. Still gotta get there this year!

Evil

Evil

Thanks for the info. We will have a week, leaving our cottage on Sunday morning and then will head home to southern Ontario the following Sunday.

Any suggestions for routes or places to start and stay would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Shari

Evil

Evil

Thanks for the info. We will have a week, leaving our cottage on Sunday morning and then will head home to southern Ontario the following Sunday.

Any suggestions for routes or places to start and stay would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Shari

Hey Shari:

Are you planning on a saddlebag trip or are you trailering further north to start?

Evil

Evil

Thanks Shari

Hey Shari:

Are you planning on a saddlebag trip or are you trailering further north to start?

Trailering north and then saddlebag. Actually nothing written in stone, definitely trailering until we find good snow then we'll decide whether to ride from one place or tour. I just hope I don't end up sleeping in my truck...lol...

Evil

Evil

Thanks Shari

Hey Shari:

Trailering north and then saddlebag. Actually nothing written in stone, definitely trailering until we find good snow then we'll decide whether to ride from one place or tour. I just hope I don't end up sleeping in my truck...lol...

Shari:

Just got off the phone with someone that was in NB last night - trails are pooched there and Powassan as well - no snow! I would recommend that you trailer to as least Kirkland Lake to get some awesome riding in!

There's some good loops that you can do up there on a saddlebag trip. :D

Have a great time!

Evil

Evil

Thanks Shari

Hey Shari:

Shari:

Just got off the phone with someone that was in NB last night - trails are pooched there and Powassan as well - no snow! I would recommend that you trailer to as least Kirkland Lake to get some awesome riding in!

There's some good loops that you can do up there on a saddlebag trip. :D

Have a great time!

Giddy, thanks! I did talk to someone yesterday that told me that Powassan and NB are pooched. We plan on trailering to at least Cochrane. We'll see from there what happens.

Shari:

Call Rod at Lillabelle and stay there great place-great people-great food. Do the loop up the Canyon - then do a saddlebag trip to Hearst - stay at the Companion Hotel - they have secure and heated lock up for the sleds....then loop back....a great trip!!! Have fun!

Leanne

Look @ the Northern Corridor (Dist' 15) map. Lots of trails to ride besides the A trail. In fact you could spend a whole day just riding around north of Hearst. Trails are well marked, so if you've never ridden the area, you shouldn't have any problems.

Howdy Wannago.

(This is a copy of what I just posted for justme on their topic. Same issue)

I have done several trips up there and stayed in Cochrane as home base. Lots of choices for day trips. A day trip to Kap is not out of the question. Day trips to Moonbeam (and local trails), Timmins, the canyon, Zeverly's loop, the lookout, etc. are all doo'able and easy.

Local highlights: The polar bears and the museum out back are worth a peak.

Food and gas have never been a problem.

I have been thinking of heading up there myself (and maybe draging the wife along too) for a week of sledding. Haven't decided when yet, but the season is getting shorter. At least they have lots of snow compared to down here.

Archived