Northern Ontario Trip Help!

Spanky

Looking for advice on a 5-day northern Ontario loop that I am (making an attempt at) planning. I’ve never been north of North Bay. I’d like to leave from Pembroke Monday am, trailer to North Bay (any suggestions where the trucks/trailers could be left sure would help), and snowmobile to New Liskeard on day one, and this would be repeated on day five (Friday), the rest is wide open, I’d like to make it as far north as possible. I’d be more comfortable in booking accommodations beforehand rather than winging it. I have revernd's awesome mileage and accomodations lists.

Any help from the forum would be great, it is a bit tougher than I thought to plan this, never have been up there before.

I would say 300 kms a day up there is no probs, longer if you want to take less leisurely breaks. 5 of us are going on our annual trip the end of Feb and we trailer to New Liskeard on Thursday night and stay at the Quality Inn (they have no problems with trailers being left there). Friday we ride to Timmins and stay at the Travelodge beside East Side Marios (no lockup though). Saturday is our long day about 400kms to Hearst and we stay at the Companion, great food, great bar and great people. Next day is a pretty easy day to Cochrane and we stay at the North Adventure Inn, (although I have heard nothing but great things about Lillabelle Lodge as well). The Monday we shoot back to the trucks in Liskeard and head home to Deep River. I would think you could do NB to NL, NL to Cochrane, as short day (or long) head past smooth rock towards Hearst then back to Smooth Rock and go to Timmins, then Timm to NL, NL to NB. Just a suggestion. BTW do you ride out of Pembroke or Deep?

Have a look at my recommended 4 day trip plan from N. Bay in "Planning Norther Trip" listed above your topic on this board. Same trip will work and I would add the extra day by going from Lillabelle Lake resort in Cochrane up to The Abitibi Canyon & Fraserdale then back down the new trail & stay at The Moose Motel in Smooth Rock Falls.

Check the link in my signature. The mileage spreadsheet will help you plan your days.

Thanks for the help guys, after reading the other thread perhaps starting from New Liskeard would be better, but I had hoped to avoid extra nights accommodations if possible. Is there anywhere to leave a trailer in New Liskeard if you aren’t staying there? If not we will trailer the night before and stay there, if required.

Chirosledr, I sled out of Pembroke. How far is it from Deep River to New Liskeard where you have stayed?

The Quality Inn, Econo Lodge & the Auberge Country Inn all have large parking lots.

Be aware that New Liskeard hosts a large hockey tournament on the 2nd weekend of Feb'. Usually most motels are booked up.

The Qulaity Inn, Econo Lodge & the Auberge Country Inn all have large parking lots.

Be aware that New Liskeard hosts a large hockey tournament on the 2nd weekend of Feb'. Usually most motels are booked up.

Yep, watch out for dem dam 'ockey tournaments . Have beem caught several times in the North . New Liskeard also runs a " Monster Poker Run " that chews up the area trails pretty bad . Not pretty if you're just passin' through .

ontflatlander

Archived