Alban, New Liskeard, Shining Tree, Alban Trip Report

tricky

Our group originally wanted to do some Algoma riding this past week out of Dunlop Lake Lodge, but we couldn't get the nights that we needed. We all agreed that the Northern Corridor would be okay, but not our next choice. We wanted to minimize truck time, minimize trail traffic, maximize snow quality and stay at some new-to-us, venues. Thanks to contributors to this forum, the choice of routes became obvious. My friends and I, until this year, have considered a day's ride north of 17, to be a minimum of 500 km. We used to joke that 300 km rides were half days. We have matured and looked for a quality ride not a long ride.

With that in mind we first booked into the Riverdale Resort in Alban for Tuesday and Friday nights. When we couldn't get into Tree Bears Camp (Shining Tree) for Wednesday, we booked there for Thursday night, which left Econolodge in New Liskeard (Dymond) for our Wednesday night lodging. At Econolodge, we ate supper at Ali's restaurant, as it was bloody cold out and we could walk inside from our rooms to the restaurant. All of us enjoyed our meals there, but I felt a little guilty not getting to Gillie's for a meal. Again, all of those locations were recommended by OCers. Thanks. All accommodations were good to excellent, with a special shout out to Tree Bears for being above and beyond. Trail conditions per the ITG were green for our entire 950 km 3-day ride. Trails did not disappoint. In the 3 days combined we maybe had 60 km of mildly choppy trails. The groomers can't be just in front of you all the time, but we had almost 900 km of smooth trails, even in areas like around NL, where there was hardly any snow in the fields. Thanks to the volunteers, groomer operators, clubs and districts for providing mostly well-signed and magically groomed trails with often minimal snow. Days 1 and 3 were basically following the most direct route from Alban and back(except for including the Wolf Mountain Loop, day 3), but day 2 required some augmenting to get a good day's ride(new definition). We left Dymond, headed north to Thornloe, Earlton, Engelhart, Charlton and out to the A trail via L162. Then to Elk Lake for fuel at the funky unmanned gas station. Next order of business was fuel for the humans, but there were no restaurants in the village. On advice from a local, we checked out the local convenience/general store hoping for a coffee and a packaged sandwich. Expectations were exceeded again when the onsite mini kitchen, had fried chicken pieces, potato wedges and fresh made pizza. We topped off our bellies and headed for Shining Tree via A107C and C trails.   

We were all familiar with the Three Bears Camp of the 1990s and 2000s, and accordingly had previously left Tree Bears off our travel plans. What a mistake. Our large, new (not refurbished) 3-bedroom, 7-bed cabin was modern and comfortable. The camp is not licensed but we got in on a run to the LCBO by our hosts. Then the two supper choices(3 course) were both delicious. Friday morning at -25C, Oliver was quick to produce a battery booster when one of our sleds required it. Obviously, I was super impressed with the whole operation.

By my odometer, our 3 days were 309, 309, and 332 km for a total of 950 km for our very cold, but successful mini trip.

I will have to get the IT department (wife) to show me how to get pictures from my phone to the forum. This was my first trip not using a camera for photos. People have been conspiring for a few years now to bring me into the 21st century, but I am a reluctant participant. Don't have many pics anyway because it was too cold to expose my hands.

Can see in the trail photos that there isn't a lot of snow to work with.

20230222_101443[1].jpg

20230222_160826[2].jpg

20230225_201517[3].jpg

20230225_213134[4].jpg

Edited by tricky
photos added
  • Like 16

Sounds like a awesome trip!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tricky said:

Then to Elk Lake for fuel at the funky unmanned gas station. Next order of business was fuel for the humans, but there were no restaurants in the village. On advice from a local, we checked out the local convenience/general store hoping for a coffe

Too bad you missed out on lunch at Elk Lake Wilderness Lodge just east of town, accessible by trail.   New owners this year, nice people, still great food.  

Sounds like a great trip.  Good to look outside the box sometimes.

Second that on elk lake wilderness camp ,awesome food and fuel on site 

1 hour ago, whits-end said:

Too bad you missed out on lunch at Elk Lake Wilderness Lodge just east of town, accessible by trail.   New owners this year, nice people, still great food.  

Sounds like a great trip.  Good to look outside the box sometimes.

1 hour ago, Muskoka Man said:

Second that on elk lake wilderness camp ,awesome food and fuel on site 

I was aware of positive reviews here for the Wilderness Camp, but we didn't want to take the time for a proper sit down lunch because the cold outside was going to get much colder feeling as daylight faded. As it turned out, our timing was spot on as we got to Shining Tree in time to catch the LCBO run and daylight disappear behind the trees. Saving Wildermess Camp for another trip.

• Thanks 1

We better get used to those funky self serve tanks. They will no undoubtedly become the only alternative in many areas as time goes on. Fortunately, there are already 2 of them that I have been using in our local riding area with trails to or past them.

Beyond the self serve fuel stations, there is another more serious problem threatening the existence of the remote camps and lodges that we count on for the northern snowmobile touring experience. We all know about the shortage of all kinds of labour that companies in the south are experiencing. In the remote north it is many tines worse, such that most camps are dependent on a single family unit to shoulder all of the work required to keep the camp in operation. The resultant burn-out has caused closures in the recent past, but I fear we have just seen the tip of that iceberg. Its one thing to hire good help in Kap or Hearst, but imagine in Aubrey Falls/Black Creek or even Hornepayne. This is coming from a glass half full kind of guy, but I can't help seeing serious challenges ahead for my portion of the sport.

• Sad 1