LOOKING FOR A STARTER BINDEX

ToSlow

Starter started making a weird noise today, just got it in the driveway shut it off and went to start the sled again, and no way. the starter turns but the bindex won't kick in.

i don't know the design of the damn thing. i'm guessing it probably has a oneway clutch. Anyway woud anyone have a place were i might be able to buy a used starter or anyone on the forum have one for sale.

thanks

No bendix in those starters.  I believe the starter is always engaged through gears with a one way bearing.

Here is the starter clutch that mite be the problem from

service manual http://www.mediafire.com/file/qa7xaxddp6bsdm0/apex++2011-2012_2.pdf

starter clutch.oxps

Not that bad.  Starter is on the front of the engine.  Just pull everything off like doing an oil filter change (headlight pod, airbox, battery and bracket, etc.)  Good thing it's not a Vector.  Starter is on the bottom and engine has to come out.

the starter is turning just got no engagment, i'm wondering if it's just the oneway clutch. if this is the case i'm wondering if i can just change that part, or does the whole starter need to be replaced

This is the starter clutch which is what you are talking about.I dont think it is actuality attached like a bendex clutch ...so I dont know if you have to remove the starter to change.you go through the right side panel to get the starter clutch over off.

starter clutch cover removal.pdf

starter clutch.pdf

1 hour ago, whits-end said:

Not that bad.  Starter is on the front of the engine.  Just pull everything off like doing an oil filter change (headlight pod, airbox, battery and bracket, etc.)  Good thing it's not a Vector.  Starter is on the bottom and engine has to come out.

Actually, you don't have to pull the engine on a Vector.  We had issues with the starter on my '07 Vector and unbolted the exhaust and motor mounts and were able to 'roll' the engine forward and drop the starter out the bottom.

24 minutes ago, apeXMAN said:

This is the starter clutch which is what you are talking about.I dont think it is actuality attached like a bendex clutch ...so I dont know if you have to remove the starter to change.you go through the right side panel to get the starter clutch over off.

starter clutch cover removal.pdf

starter clutch.pdf

thanks for the info, looks like to big a job to tackle in the driveway now that i don't own a shop anymore. so off to the dealer 

If the starter runs but not turning the engine, there may be teeth missing on the Idler gear like the Vipers.  Take the starter out first.  If the teeth on it look OK, then look through the starter hole to see the teeth on the idler gear.  If there are some missing, the end of the engine has to come apart.  You should get the broken teeth out of there as well.  Make sure all teeth of all gears are good before assembly.  Good luck.

BP

16 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

If the starter runs but not turning the engine, there may be teeth missing on the Idler gear like the Vipers.  Take the starter out first.  If the teeth on it look OK, then look through the starter hole to see the teeth on the idler gear.  If there are some missing, the end of the engine has to come apart.  You should get the broken teeth out of there as well.  Make sure all teeth of all gears are good before assembly.  Good luck.

BP

If its has missing teeth the starter/magneto cover has to come off to remove bits and pieces anyhow...That should come off first.Its not a big job to remove the end of engine for inspection of all starter gears and teeth.

16 minutes ago, ToSlow said:

it didn't sound like it was skipping teeth, it sounded more like a grumble, almost like the oneway clutch was slipping

To get to the clutch you have to go through the end of motor ...Its just a cover maybe one hour to get off at most.The oil tank is the only thing in the way.

6 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Actually, you don't have to pull the engine on a Vector.  We had issues with the starter on my '07 Vector and unbolted the exhaust and motor mounts and were able to 'roll' the engine forward and drop the starter out the bottom.

Good to know!  Dun that to replace cam chain tensioners on '05 and '07 Vecs.  Thanks!

Archived