algoma snowmobile trip planning

woodyf

We are planning a trip for the middle of February depending on snow.

Any thoughts on our tentative routes regarding gas availability, lodging and food, and quality of trails such as slow tight turns vs nice long fast straight a ways...

We are 3 couples. We don't  mind old and rustic, but clean with a sleepable bed... Cabins, motel, hotels don't matter...

Our tentative:

day one. Whitefishfalls to Ironbridge 175km

day two. Ironbridge to Searchmount 155km

day three. Searchmount to Wawa, lunch at Haven and gas. 254km

day four. Wawa to Searchmount. 254km

day five. Searchmount to Elliot Lake 234km

day six. Elliot Lake to Whitefish 125km.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!

Please double check searchmont for gas , i don't think there is gas available in searchmont, not 100 % sure. Halfway Haven does have gas.

My wife has a 900ace, it should not be a problem for her, but I will bring gas for m 1200 renegade. I hope my friends to the same for theirs...

no fuel in searchmont. there are some cabins, available, and the ski hill for lodging. ski

for them to get business, we need to know who to contact, and where to go for fuel, food, lodging in searchmont. unsure, if you can actually get any of those things consistently, there right now. hopefully dan sr will chime in. Ski

I was told last year from a very good source that they would have some gas, then I did not hear anything again so a figured it did not happened, then I was saying that there would not be any gas and I was told again from a very good connected source that there will be gas...... so I don't what to believe...  Why haven't we heard anything so far... what is it taking so long? 

Unfortunately, there is no gas at Searchmont.  I went by the Searchmont Trading Post a few days ago. The buidling is empty and the driveway hasn't been plowed.  I do not see any activity whatsover that shows otherwise.  I am not aware of anyone else selling fuel in Searchmont at this time.

WoodyF, I'm recommending you modify your route and come up through Elliot Lake.  Fuel up in Elliot Lake, then head for Black Creek / Aubrey Falls.  Stay there overnight.  Fuel and food are available and from there head to Halfway and Wawa.

Hope this helps.

Dan

great options, and suggestions Dan. Ski

Unfortunately, there is no gas at Searchmont.  I went by the Searchmont Trading Post a few days ago. The buidling is empty and the driveway hasn't been plowed.  I do not see any activity whatsover that shows otherwise.  I am not aware of anyone else selling fuel in Searchmont at this time.

WoodyF, I'm recommending you modify your route and come up through Elliot Lake.  Fuel up in Elliot Lake, then head for Black Creek / Aubrey Falls.  Stay there overnight.  Fuel and food are available and from there head to Halfway and Wawa.

Hope this helps.

Dan

That's exactly what we are doing. Thanks for the great info and advice!

I was in conversation with someone who lives at Searchmont.  They indicated the owner of the store in the old school is the one who is trying to setup a gas pump and is currently going through environmental assessment paperwork.  This is what I heard.  Whether that information is accurate or not, I don't know?  Maybe someone else can chime in?

Bureaucracy moves at a snails pace, so what seems like a slam dunk to a layman, isn't the case usually. 

Are the Envirodikes still being sold? I know when the local garage rebuilt in 2011, their small diesel tanks were placed above ground. Some kind of double walled set up w/ vacuum between the 2 layers of steel. Vey compact system.

Archived