CUSTOM NUMBERS

DaveTess

Need some help here.

We picked up our new sled a few weeks back and with the deal the sales guy threw in "Custom Numbers"

Well we finally received them and after comparing them to the MTO plate the numbers are too short.

I read somewhere that the numbers had to be at least 2" tall as are the numbers on the official MTO plate.

This is his response:

"Hey Dave,

This is the same company we have been using since I have started here and we have never had an issue.

If you take in comparison the actual plate from the MTO, you will notice our numbers are considerable bigger than what the MTO supplies."

Any thoughts here? I know if I accept these and put them on knowing they are too short, I'm responsible. Don't want to run into an overzealous Police Officer and end up with a fine.

Now saying that we're too old farts riding a 2016 Grand Touring SE, don't think were going to attract any attention, however want to be legal. I know I'm probably being a stickler here but that's me!

If someone could steer me to the legislation that describes this, I can forward it on and educate the sales guy.

Thanks

They have to be 2 inches high... I don't know of anyone ever being stopped and having them measured to find they were only 1-3/4 but that is the regulation.

Here is what I found online for you.

Using Custom Numbers on Your Sled in Ontario
  • Custom numbers must be attached or painted on both sides of the cowling not less than 10 centimetres or more than 15 centimetres from the rear of the cowling.
  • They must between 5 and 7.6 centimetres or more and have a stroke width between 5 and 13 millimetres.
  • The digits must be a uniform style and height in a colour which contrasts with the background and separated by spaces not more than 5 centimetres wide.
  • The validation sticker must be placed on the left side between the registration numbers and the back of the cowling. Validation stickers issued after June 1, 1997 must be affixed in the centre of a white background that forms a border of at least one centimetre in width around the sticker.

They have to be 2 inches high... I don't know of anyone ever being stopped and having them measured to find they were only 1-3/4 but that is the regulation.

Not the numbers, but I was advised during a paper check stop, that my val tag was 1.25 inches from my registration numbers and it should be 1.00 inches!!!

I immediately went home and fixed it.......NOT!

Not the numbers, but I was advised during a paper check stop, that my val tag was 1.25 inches from my registration numbers and it should be 1.00 inches!!!

I immediately went home and fixed it.......NOT!

Sounds like some over zealous enforcement from whoever stopped you.

Make sure your chin strap is on tight too or they can nail you for that.

Archived