Group Rides article in Go Snowmobiling Ontario

grover_yyz

I recently read the article on groups rides and I feel that groups of 15, 20 or more on a ride may sound like a fun time; I think its just wrong to travel in such large groups. It's not far for anyone, the oncoming rider has to deal with this group passing by. Waiting for fuel at a gas station, trying to get a table at a restaurant. I don't think businesses can't handle very large groups at once.

Now, I do enjoy group rides. we have a great time; but we are usually 6 people riding.

What's is the opinion of  this forum? What is a reasonable size for a group ride?

Jerry

I recently read the article on groups rides and I feel that groups of 15, 20 or more on a ride may sound like a fun time; I think its just wrong to travel in such large groups. It's not far for anyone, the oncoming rider has to deal with this group passing by. Waiting for fuel at a gas station, trying to get a table at a restaurant. I don't think businesses can't handle very large groups at once.

Now, I do enjoy group rides. we have a great time; but we are usually 6 people riding.

What's is the opinion of  this forum? What is a reasonable size for a group ride?

Jerry

It is cool as long as they warn the lunch stops etc 

Last big ride I went on was with donut. Must have been around 80 sleds and we went to the bass lake house restaurant. We filled the place to the brime. Then the locals got us lost on the way back and some people almost ran out of fuel. It was a mild day and there was good amount of slush on the lakes reducing fuel consumption. Heck we had to wait 30 mins or so to pull out hi mileage. Was cool seeing 35 people pulling on the rope after the divers hooked on to the sled, next thing you know someone in the group decided to run the channel and almost took off a drivers head. Good thing he went back under in the nick of time. This was all before the beer at the lunch stop too.

I think the optimal group size varies depending on various factors such as type of trail, time of week, length of ride, experience level of riders, amount of traffic, etc. Sometimes 6 sleds can be too many; sometimes 20 can be fine.

I agree with Blake. They can be a lot of fun and there are a number of variables. We did one in to Midland and had lunch at the restaurant on the waterfront but we also called and arranged lunch with them days ahead and then when we set out we called and gave them a head count and the time we would be there. It worked out well.

We also had a group ride out to the ice caves on Georgian Bay a couple of years ago. We had 52 sleds that day.

Archived