Few days in Field

shawnj

Not a huge run but a good start for us. Been nursing a bad back for a couple weeks so didn't over do it. Ran from Field to Temagami this afternoon and back and seen one sled going and two sleds coming back. There were a bunch in at Rock Pine when we went through the lot. Talked to groomer op and he said the A104 D hadn't been groomed since last week but we took the chance because I know it can get bad at times but it was actually in decent shape. The A trail from Marten River to Temagami was freshly groomed. Both ways. A104D to be groomed Thursday I think he said so should be awsome for anyone travelling it.

Wimped out today with the wind and all. Went for a warmer ride, in the truck to Sudbury for the day. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit warmer but not looking like it. Will have to tough it out if we want to ride. Contacted George at sportsmans and he is open for gas but the restaurant isn't open, only meals for those that are staying there. So may take a run on the chinaguichi loop in next day or two.

Rockys will be open for food and gas.. Good food there..

Ya that's right too. Been there once before. Can't remember how far off the loop it is? Will have to get new map hopefully along the way.

It's right off the loop, We did the loop a couple of weeks ago excellent riding, have fun!!

A bit of a chilly 250 Kms or so from Field up through and including the C206D ( which had just been freshly groomed). Stopped in for a fuel top of at Sportmans Lodge. Had a friendly chat with George. Sounds like getting lots of slenders in over night there. Tried the Hotshots in the mitts and we're glad we had them. My shield frosted up even being plugged in. Will have to see if it quit working or what goin on there. Only seen two sleds on the whole chiniguchi loop. Seen quite a few in river valley and on the D trail which was still in good shape. Tomorrow should be a much warmer day

Another 250kms today. Left Field area headed to st. Charles and across to Nepawassi lake. Ended up on C trail just before Estaire. Gassed up, 7 Kms north of there where the trail comes to the train tracks see my first Bull Elk. Was cool to see. Never seen one before. Unfortunatly he didn't stick around for a photo op before jumping the tracks. I must say the 50 or more Kms of the C trail we did today were the worst I've ever seen that trail. It's been a few years since we've been on that stretch but boy were she bumpy!!! Found most of the trails around there beat up pretty good. Once we hit the rail bed heading back toward River Valley it was much better. When we hit River Valley at 5:30, we were the 92 and 93rd sled to fill up there today.

Just before the gas station in Estaire there was a Trail Closed sign. I seen no other sign pointing which way to go. I remembered from past years where it headed but the sled tracks on the road headed off the opposite direction. So, I followed them a couple clicks and turned around and headed on the Closed Trail because I didn't know where else to go and besides it was well used. It turns out it just was because its a swampy area. That's what girl pumping gas said. I guess I missed the sign that pointed to the hwy, if there were one???? All in all, a much warmer ride today. Might get another before heading home.

A great 200 plus kms run today. For a Sunday the trails we rode were in really great shape. Ran from Field down to the west arm, Noelville and a loop and back. Lots of sleds out today but trails were great. Dug a young lad out of the rhubarb. His buddies never come back for him LOL.

Archived