District 6 Ride

maple

I had to wonder if the six-hour trip from Mississauga to Lake St. Peter on Friday night would be worth it. Well, I arrived at Algonquin Lodge just after 9pm Friday night. After making a wrong turn, I finally got into the parking lot and got settled in my room ... then headed down to visit with sledjunk and Moosifer (aka Dino Buddy) just in time for a Baileys! ;)

Saturday morning we awoke to a beautiful day.

MLS08-03-08006.jpg

Sledjunk and Moosifer planning our route.

MLS08-03-08008.jpg

And off we went. Decided to head across Mink Lake and then up to Whitney for breakfast. Tabletop conditions with a little powder on top. :woot::woot:

MLS08-03-08009.jpg

MLS08-03-08011.jpg

MLS08-03-08012.jpg

Got to Mink Lake and changed our minds about running across it (even thought it probably would have been okay ... better safe than sorry).

MLS08-03-08017.jpg

MLS08-03-08018.jpg

Turned around and caught the trail again ... about 8km of roads. :( Now on our way to Whitney.

MLS08-03-08025.jpg

MLS08-03-08027.jpg

MLS08-03-08028.jpg

Stopped to fill up the sleds ... and then ourselves. Anyone recognize this place?

MLS08-03-08030.jpg

Ouch!

MLS08-03-08031.jpg

After filling our bellies, we made a quick detour then headed to Barry's Bay on more beautiful trails.

MLS08-03-08034.jpg

MLS08-03-08035.jpg

MLS08-03-08036.jpg

MLS08-03-08043.jpg

After another quick stop for fuel (it wasn't MY sled that was being a gas-pig), we were on our way to Wilno.

MLS08-03-08045.jpg

MLS08-03-08047.jpg

MLS08-03-08048.jpg

More fuel for us, then on to Combermere ...

MLS08-03-08051.jpg

MLS08-03-08052.jpg

... then back to Lake St. Peter.

MLS08-03-08054.jpg

MLS08-03-08056.jpg

MLS08-03-08057.jpg

MLS08-03-08059.jpg

The snow started really coming down about an hour outside of Lake St. Peter.

MLS08-03-08061.jpg

MLS08-03-08001.jpg

MLS08-03-08067.jpg

... and one final stop as Moosifer's sled rolled to 15,000km on the odometer.

MLS08-03-08002.jpg

Back to Algonquin Lodge for a short rest then dinner at Porterville Diner (great food and wonderful staff).

I can't say enough about the hospitality at the Algonquin Lodge. When we were snowed in today, we were really taken care of while waiting for the plow to arrive. And thanks to the Maple Leaf Snow Skimmers for the wonderful job they did on the trails ... it was an excellent day! :woot::woot:

Nice ride ! nice pics . I don't blame you for not liking that lake !

I think the lake would have been fine. That picture is of the dam at the end of the lake ... the rest was pretty much frozen solid.

Nice ride ! nice pics . I don't blame you for not liking that lake !

I think the lake would have been fine. That picture is of the dam at the end of the lake ... the rest was pretty much frozen solid.

Still you went with the safe chioce "if you don't know don't go" . Better safe than sorry .

You are being kind to Moosifer. Not even the pic of the Moose Hoof Burger!!

You can't be that afraid of his pics, can you? :poke: :poke:

Oh wait maybe[attachment=0]pot.gif[/attachment]

Nope ... left the other pictures in the truck last night and wasn't prepared to weather that wind in my nightie! :rotflmao:

Believe me ... more pics will follow! :poke:

What's Maple got to be afraid of? All of her embarassing moments somehow dodged the camera. Then again I do have THE ONE. :twisted: :poke:

Shall we say "Details at 11" :wavey:

It really was a great trip. Great riding with you again Maple, glad you got home safe (although the roads were surprisingly clear by the time we left).

What's Maple got to be afraid of? All of her embarassing moments somehow dodged the camera. Then again I do have THE ONE. :twisted: :poke:

Shall we say "Details at 11" :wavey:

It really was a great trip. Great riding with you again Maple, glad you got home safe (although the roads were surprisingly clear by the time we left).

I have no embarassing moments that I'll admit to so I have nothing to worry about! :wtf:

And you can't prove THE ONE is me! :P

Great riding with you guys, too. Roads were very clear heading home ... where the hell did all the snow go?!?!? :o

Here is a report on the ride that Moosifer and I had on Friday before Maple arrived. Moosifer was on reading week so we figured he could practise reading trail maps :poke:

We started from Algonquin Lodge on Lake St. Peter and headed north on B106E toward Whitney. B106E was in great shape all the way to B. These pictures are at the junction with B.

DSCN0066.jpg

DSCN0659.jpg

DSCN0067.jpg

DSCN0069.jpg

DSCN0071.jpg

We took B across Algonquin Park. The signage at the entrance to the park was definitely lacking.

DSCN0072.jpg

So we fixed it. That is better! :)

DSCN0078.jpg

B continues along the Hydro line at this point. B was a little rough but not too bad.

DSCN0084.jpg

We continued along B to HCSA 10 which we took to Fort Irwin for fuel and then to E. Continued along E to the Paudash system and came across this outhouse at PTSC 13, I believe. It needed an upgrade.

DSCN0664.jpg

So we did it!

DSCN0666.jpg

Moosifer is getting ready to continue along E to E109. E was about in the same condition as B but E109 was better.

DSCN0667.jpg

From E109, we decided that it was too early to head straight back so we took MLSS 179 and 181 across Baptiste Lake (well staked and marked) back to B106E. The MLSS trails were is good shape but by this time it was snowing and the fresh snow made the handling kind of greasy. The sleds were darting quite a bit in spite of the dual carbides.

We took B106E back to the lodge to have dinner and await Maple's arrival.

Here ia a map of the Friday ride.

Sled-080307-LkStPeter-1.gif

Here's a few more pics from our ride on Friday before Maple arrived:

Photo of Eagle's Nest Park across from the Bancroft Tim Horton's

6917122777.jpg

View from the Algonquin Park Border on Top B trail:

691712279.jpg

Sledjunk addressing the signage issues on Top B:

6917122410.jpg

"Hey, out of my shot"

6917122774.jpg

"Thank You"

6917122732.jpg

Here's a few more from Saturday's ride with Maple:

Can you say "Table Top Trails" :woot::woot:

6917302167.jpg

6917301995.jpg

6917302097.jpg

6917302069.jpg

I know you two are talking about me!!

6917302048.jpg

I thought I was taking the photos here Maple :photo:

6917301913.jpg

Now for a nice long relaxing break at the Wilno Tavern (our turn-around point for the day):

MMMmmmmmm Blueberry-Lemon PPPPIIIIIEEEEE:

6917302180.jpg

Sledjunk, that looks good too!!

6917302188.jpg

WOW, Maple's just diggin' in :o

6917301910.jpg

And then it began to SNOW!!!

6917302134.jpg

6917302146.jpg

6917302196.jpg

What a great day, again the conditions were excellent and lots of laughs to be had (mostly at my expense) as I'm sure will be evident later.

Obviously, the mouse has been seen at the Algonquin Lodge previously. Looks like they are ready for his return!

[attachment=0]IMG00044.jpg[/attachment]

:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

Here is the map of Sunday's ride.

33c43e0f.gif

That would be Saturday's ride ... remember, Moosifer needed his Dino Buddies on Sunday! :rotflmao:

:poke: :poke:

That would be Saturday's ride ... remember, Moosifer needed his Dino Buddies on Sunday! :rotflmao:

Oops! Thanks :oops::oops:

I still do :( .

I'm still hacking up a lung every 5 min and feel feverish at times. Hopefully these new drugs will help but dino buddies would be better.

Great pictures and story. Inspirational. A couple of years back we lived in Peterborough for a year and had the opportunity to trailer up to this area and a few others that were proximate. Found a bit too much traffic for our liking - it was a 'scarce snow' year - but really enjoyed the area and the trails.

Got me thinking it might be a good idea next year to store the sled in the south, maybe trailer over to LMV country and other places we haven't been yet....just for the change.

Was over to Smith Falls yesterday and if you're looking for an additional destination this year, check out areas east of Pembroke over to Ottawa and a bit south. A ton of snow and conditions are mint from what I can see from the highways.

Great pictures and story. Inspirational. A couple of years back we lived in Peterborough for a year and had the opportunity to trailer up to this area and a few others that were proximate. Found a bit too much traffic for our liking - it was a 'scarce snow' year - but really enjoyed the area and the trails.

Got me thinking it might be a good idea next year to store the sled in the south, maybe trailer over to LMV country and other places we haven't been yet....just for the change.

Was over to Smith Falls yesterday and if you're looking for an additional destination this year, check out areas east of Pembroke over to Ottawa and a bit south. A ton of snow and conditions are mint from what I can see from the highways.

This year there is snow everywhere so adventuring around does seem attractive . Make sure you protect your sled from the road salt it sure does make a mess.

This year there is snow everywhere so adventuring around does seem attractive . Make sure you protect your sled from the road salt it sure does make a mess.

....You know....I've always had this strange ambition to ride my sled through a car wash.........

Archived