Marten river/Kirkland/cochrane march 27-29

ecarnell

Left Thursday 5am from Kincardine - trailered to marten river - rock pine (huge great tasting meal!).

Ran to Kirkland fior the night.

Had 6" or snow that night - broke trail almost all day up to cochrane for lunch (ice hut - another great meal/burger). Road back to our room in Kirkland/comfort inn(very sled friendly/helpful fir pizza and Greek both nights ordered in).

Today - road back to trailer in Martin river (another huge abs tasty meal at rock pine) and trailering back to Kincardine.

Was a geat 600 mike run with my dad and friends! Great way to end the season for me - but there could be weeks left of sledding up north if the next three days aren't that sunny.

Ps - a 800 GSX with split rails handles and runs awesome!

Glad you had/ are having a good run.  KL to Cochrane for lunch and back is quite the day.

It was an adventure to say the least Friday.

Breaking trail was fun in the AM - but two gentlemen, also from the Comfort inn who we saw at breakfeast, caught up to us at about 30miles into the day.... 5 miles later we pulled one of the 800R short track out of a big snow patch - as he missed the corner (hard to see) and got stuck. The two guys would have been there for a while....

We stopped in Matheson (LCBO right next to the little dinner/chinese?) for a coffee and gas - they appeared to have gone through without stopping...

At 93.5 miles from Kirkland, I meet a sled on the side of the trail, 1 helmet straped on the back, and in the distance, steps in the snow and a figure up the way.... 1 km up found the same guy walking as we puled out earlier in the day (and saw at breakfast_ - and he appeared to have left his buddies sled - as broke/gas.... says he's heading into town to get a winch and rope as he's sled went off trail (and buddy back there) and REALYY REALLY stuck.... I'm usually pretty aware of riding - and didn't see anyone off into the bush, let alone anyone with a sled?.... I tell him to hop on and we'll get it out (as we already pulled in out earlier on the day , how bad can it be????.

I was more concerned that I missed someone going off trail and a guy sitting on a sled - how could that be?

My buddy is bigger and stronger than me, but our dads (both in their late 60's, wouldn't be much good) pulling a sled - but we should be o.k......

We go back past the abandoned sled, back another 1km, 2-up (he wasn't a small man).. .. then he points up to a major hill/ hydro line where you can see tracks of guys playing... he points - up there.... we go around the trail and up to the top. He adimitted to blowing the corner - and decided to continue on the hydro line (as there were tracks...) hoping to meet up with the trail.....

I tell him to get off, switch sleds with my dad (he was riding my GSX (he rode it all Thursday...:) ), which I'm more comfortable with vs his 600 etec Renegade) and go check it out..... go up and down a couple of hills and find his buddy and 800R BURRIED in a gully of snow. Never seen a sled stuck so bad......

I turn the sled around (being carefull not to get stuck - took 5 -10 minutes) and head back (meanwhile my buddy is already walking into us).

The two guys and my buddy and I keep digging, and finally after a small run back and forth - and I was finally able to ride her out onto higher ground.

The guys then ride to the abandoned 550F.... My riding partners (another father son duo) I ride with, carry spare fuel, and fill up the 550f for them from the 1200 spare tank, and start it up... they didn't fill up at Matheson where we stoped, and have at least 93 miles on their tanks AND breaking trail, he said the 550F usually get 200 miles....... i tell him jokingly the gas can on the Yamaha Apex is $4 a liter - and we fill up the 800R also - as they probably wouldn't make it to Iroqiou falls either....

He gives my buddy cash for the gas and a round of beers (we don't drink till after we are done riding).

All in all we lost 1 hr doing the recovery - but the guys would have been their for hours...... they had mentioned they were heading to Hearst and wanted to know if we could follow them :)

Has a great late lunch at the Ice Hunt (brutal directions to get into that place - had to stop a car and ask) - then made same run back to the hotel in Kirkland.

after filling up gas and cleaning and locking sleds - was 8:30pm I think.

E

Well these guys weren't ever boy scouts eh?

Almost sounds like your eating club has a skidooing problem?  :poke2:

Well these guys weren't ever boy scouts eh?

Almost sounds like your eating club has a skidooing problem? :poke2:

We did eat a lot - considering I'm not much of a breakfast person, especially at hotels.

Riding was great, I just need to mod my dad's 600 etec , as I think he'll be riding my 800 when we go out together next year :)

Archived