guess those e techs are fast

blue er

Across cameron today on apex topped out powertek 800 mo problem new viper had its ass handed to it and the 800wtech walked.me on the big end

The viper is comparable to a 600 so The 800 should beat it. My 09 nytro (same motor as viper) stays dead even with my buddies 2012 800etec till about 130 to 140k then he slowly walks away from me.  I'm surprised the 800 is beating the apex though.

I was suprised too! Lol have ulmer clutching maybe took some top end wasnt about to make sure tach shifted out at 10800 when over 100mph

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 Apex machines.  2 2006 ER's and a 2009 GT.  I also have an 09 ETEC 600.  The ER's will top out at 187.  The GT tops out at about 168 which is bafflingly slow (mechanic says it is fine) and the ETEC tops out at about 160 which is surprisingly fast.  All the Apex machines do less than people say.  Most people seem to think they will easily do 200 but my 3 don't come close to that.

Putting aside brand loyalty, I have to hand it to Bombarier, The ETEC is really good.  It uses less fuel than the Apex machines.  22litres on average when the Apex is taking 29, much lighter so you can get more adventuresome without getting stuck.  When you do get stuck getting out is easier than trying to move one of those Apex bricks.  In the twisties, the Apex machines are a handful.  The lighter, nimbler ETEC isn't exhausting.  It also has WAYYYY better steering than the sloppy Yamaha steering.  The ETEC is also about $4,000 cheaper.  

I have enjoyed my Yammies but all things considered, I think I may have bought my last one. 

Man..that is odd..I've run a bunch of XP8's and they aren't on the same page as an Apex (or at least my STOCK 06 w/14,000kms). The only thing that I've run that has been close is this past weekend a CFR800. The group I ran with this weekend all used more fuel in $$ because they all ran 91 and I run 87 so I'm not sure how the liters worked out.

I totally agree about getting an Apex stuck...not so much fun...and this year we've had lots of opportunity to get burried. I ride around my property alone, a lot...many times I regret not choosing the ET250 to ride lol. I still love the Apex for the kind of riding we have here..lots of lakes, great trails (especially the twisty ones) and good grooming....and I love not worrying about running for miles of WOT on a powder/slush covered lake Muskoka. Oh, and the Yamaha 8dn belt will outlast an etec's set of rings :).

Speedy I'd have someone look at your Apex mine will run well over 200 on a hard packed lake and other than the track and copper exhaust donuts it's stock.

The Viper is a great sled if you never have to exceed 95mph...after that it's pretty much game over...

Ah found a broken axle wheel and 3 seized idler wheels withch was odd as they were all good when cjecked that weekend. Repalced whhels and tried again 2 sled lengths on cameron from trail head to first corner on stake line feel better after getting schooled in thw twistys all day

That will definitely slow you down :-)

In my experience I've found those lightweight Doo's very easy to tow. To be fair I have to say the Doo drivers have gotten me un-stuck a number of times.

Vipers are slow btw

I rode my buddies top speed was 89 and that was going for a long stretch, great acceleration to 80 and then it just creeps up from there

Got it on video too not that it matters

His Apex is much faster

Blue ER,

Page 18 of the March '14 American Snowmobiler mag has Ski-Doo X-RS 800 e-tec ahead in every category except one (0-30 mph which Viper won by a small margin).

Top speed (and this must be just past the 1000 ft mark) for Ski-Doo was 99.37 mph (Viper was 87.06);

The usual Viper vs Arctic Cat ZR7000 comparison and this quote:

"We noticed that the ZR 7000, SR Viper and SR Viper LTX all had the same quirky starting anomalies after they were warmed up and ridden for a while. If you would shut them off after 50 or so miles they would have a hard time starting again".

Yep. Been there, trying to start my Viper LTX . With a bull-dozer clearing a road catch basin deciding to go in reverse, not caring if there's sleds on the trail 20 metres back (he wouldn't have gone that far onto the trail - I think). Find a fix Yamacat. Fast. Because I can't put 14Snow's sled between me and danger forever. lol

Doktorc, you should give the newer 2011+ apex's a try before you switch it up. I know the look is very similar but it's a great trail sled! Still doesn't get unstuck easy but its hands down the best trail sled I've been on I'll be sad to see it go.  But I can understand the need for change enjoy! Sorry for being off topic to everyone else 

Doktorc, you should give the newer 2011+ apex's a try before you switch it up. I know the look is very similar but it's a great trail sled! Still doesn't get unstuck easy but its hands down the best trail sled I've been on I'll be sad to see it go.  But I can understand the need for change enjoy! Sorry for being off topic to everyone else

You've got the wrong guy....I'm dyed in the wool blue...my next sled will be an eps Apex no question.

The 600 etec is pretty zippy, I was surprised.  My brother bought on and when it was faster than my 06 800 mxx I decided that it might be good to look for one. On packed snow I can easily do 160 km/h.  This past week I was able to get up to 170 km/h, because I have studs and I was pretty much riding bare ice on my lake.  

The etecs are a great motor, over 50% better on fuel, 4 times better on oil, spark plugs last 10000km and they summerize themselves.

One of my ridding buds has the same sled as you mgooding and yes it gets great mileage and good on oil but has lost the motor two time because of injectors failing. He is able to keep up to me for a bit on the lake but the 600 runs out of speed....Thats what I call "YAMAHAING"...........lol  Had to say it :nana:

Archived