Parry Sound to North Bay Tips?

Dirtbag

Hey folks, planning a trip for a few people next weekend to run from Parry Sound to North Bay,   I know there are lots of different options to get there, but would really like to know the following

Any trails I should avoid this year because of logging, conditions etc?

Any trails that have a bunch of road running on them?   I want to avoid them as well as we are supposed to get a bit of a thaw later this week

And what hotels are good to stay at and easy to access?  Was considering the best western on lakeshore

thanks for any insights!

DB

Hey folks, planning a trip for a few people next weekend to run from Parry Sound to North Bay,   I know there are lots of different options to get there, but would really like to know the following

Any trails I should avoid this year because of logging, conditions etc?

Any trails that have a bunch of road running on them?   I want to avoid them as well as we are supposed to get a bit of a thaw later this week

And what hotels are good to stay at and easy to access?  Was considering the best western on lakeshore

thanks for any insights!

DB

Saw this sign on my travels last weekend - not sure if it is helpful, but here it is anyway:

post-19713-0-85115700-1392722880_thumb.j

Just saw Solomos report. Any feedback on the sunset inn?

You don't trust my fine taste in accomodation Dirtbag?  :-) What kind of place are you looking for?

Saw this sign on my travels last weekend - not sure if it is helpful, but here it is anyway:

attachicon.gifroadsign.jpg

You don't trust my fine taste in accomodation Dirtbag?  :-) What kind of place are you looking for?

There is another sign @ the south end of the "alternate" route.

Thanks guys, very helpful.... we booked the Sunset as well..... just asked to not be in the same room you were in SloMO  -_-

Hey Slomo,  where exactly was that sign?  It talks about taking C110D but that shows as closed onthe trail status...   where exactly is the 8.2km of road running, and any thoughts of what it might be like on saturday after the little bit of forecasted warmup?    thanks

Hey Slomo,  where exactly was that sign?  It talks about taking C110D but that shows as closed onthe trail status...   where exactly is the 8.2km of road running, and any thoughts of what it might be like on saturday after the little bit of forecasted warmup?    thanks

C110D is an extension on trail 700 from the south, which joins part of trail 710 - if you continue on 710 you will hit the lake. Makes more sense on the paper map actually. Not sure where the road running is on the D.

BTW to get to the Sunset Inn follow 710 past the 703 junction, continuing along the shore until you see the signs warning of a race track, the ice  drag strip, a road from the shore to ice fishing shacks and trucks / sled trailers parked on the ice. I was thinking if you were approaching it from the lake trail, it would be difficult to find at the final stages. There are a couple of Sunset Inn signs at two way points on the trail, but to my recollection, not one right where you turn to get there.

any thoughts of what it might be like on saturday after the little bit of forecasted warmup?   

Just had a look at the Weather Network for the region - night time temps are still fairly cool and small amount of rain forecast mid-week, but with snow as well. I did note that the trail base around there was thinner than in other areas that received more snow and there were some thin spots. Probably spring riding conditions.

I prefer running through Port Loring

This would be a nice alternative as well. Small amount of road running around Nipissing Village. Trail is staked from South River / NIpissing junction. I also recall stakes continuing on the lake past Hunter's Bay Marine (land junction trail D102C) which might mean lake running right to town along shore - although not marked as such on the interactive map.

The main thing to keep in mind --- if you see that sign, it's offering you a choice.

Avoid the road(s). Take the trails to 700; stop at Kudo's in Powassan and get fuel a few kms from Kudo's. We've taken both routes and I prefer this alternative.

where exactly is the 8.2km of road running?

It's south from the TOP D/A101D intersection, to a point just each of the TOP D/SSR 700 intersection.

Archived