Doonut's Unofficial OC.com Muskoka Lakes Tour.

Doonut

Well folks, it looks like Mother Nature is going to co operate this year and allow for a Big 3 Lakes tour and trip to the Rosseau ice caves.

Plans would be for a meet up at Boston Pizza at the Wharf in Gravenhurst ( there's a large parking lot for off loading/ staging right there ) at 9am Saturday March 15th. Departure from Ghurst at 10am. A leisurely trip up Lake Muskoka to Lakes Joseph and Rosseau and the ice caves followed by lunch at the world famous Bass Lake House. After lunch could include some trail riding, more lake running or for those interested, a trip through Doonut's secret playground( off trail and amazing ) before returning to Boston Pizza or Chez Doonut for some socializing :) ( these options can all be discussed over some fine chicken wings and the best onion rings in Muskoka) Its only a 10 minute run from CD back to Boston Pizza to end the day. If its timed right, an early dinner at BP could also be a possibility.

Keep an eye on this thread for further info about ice and snow conditions as I will be up at the shack all next week and will be reporting to the Mouse so he can post it here.

So, lets see a show of hands. Who's interested in tripping the big lakes?

Well, I dont think I can make it that weekend, but any hints on how to find the ice caves myself?

You can probably count 12 from the SlowTour.

Very Hospitable of you Mrs.Nut! What's for breakfast Sunday morning? :P

Hmmm, 3 double beds, 3 of us, 12 of you = 5 per bed. Sounds a little tight. :rotflmao:

Well, I dont think I can make it that weekend, but any hints on how to find the ice caves myself?

Steve, the "caves" , really just a big frozen waterfall you can walk behind are on the north side of a small island west of tobin island and near north bohemia island on the way to Rosseau from Sandfield. You can almost see north up the lake to Rosseau from th caves but not quite. Still behind the point.

Sounds like a plan.

I will be there and likely with Moosifer as well.

Steve, the "caves" , really just a big frozen waterfall you can walk behind are on the north side of a small island west of tobin island and near north bohemia island on the way to Rosseau from Sandfield. You can almost see north up the lake to Rosseau from th caves but not quite. Still behind the point.

got it thanks!

I was just wondering what the conditions for this ride are going to be like? Is there going to be snow on the lake for lube? How far will I need to get on a tank of fuel? How far is the ride and how fast will the group be riding? If anyone can update that would be great. Is the staging area on wharf road just off of bay street?

Thanks Steve

So who is planning to be here? When are you arriving and where are you staying?

I expect to arrive Friday night and stay Saturday night as well. We will be at the Howard Johnson. (fair warning) :wavey:

I was just wondering what the conditions for this ride are going to be like? Is there going to be snow on the lake for lube? How far will I need to get on a tank of fuel? How far is the ride and how fast will the group be riding? If anyone can update that would be great. Is the staging area on wharf road just off of bay street?

Thanks Steve

There is plenty of snow on the lake for lube.

Yes, the staging area is at the wharf - lots of room.

Some of the group is fast and some (few) will be with me. :D

You can do the lake tour on a tank of gas. The best I can help you with distance is to somewhat describe the most likely route. Grab a map. Departing the wharf, we'll take a short portage out of Gravenhurst Bay and stay on the inside of Rankin and Taylor Islands before hopping over Walkers Point. Another short stretch of lake is followed by a longer land portage that will bring us out on Lake Joseph close to Port Sandfield. We hop over Sandfield onto Lake Rosseau and run up to see Ice formations and, possibly, on to the town depending on the time. Back down Rosseau, we cross at Sandfield again and then run about half way up Lake Joseph and turn into Foots Bay. At the end of Foots Bay is the Bass Lake House restaurant where we'll stop for a bite and then head back across Joseph and Muskoka. Mr Nut may choose a slightly different route but that is basically the route he followed last time we were with him.

From there, DooNut has offered up a few alternatives.

Hope that helps.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he today that blind follows STG

Shall be my brother;

Be he ne'er so vile

This day shall gentle his condition

And gentle folk on forum now a-bed

Shall think themselves accursed they were not here

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That rode with us upon slow touring day."

Is the 'pail of french fries' still on the menu at Bass Lake House?

Apologies to W. Shakespeare....Henry V...

Shall be my brother;

Be he ne'er so vile

You wish that so, my cousin Slomo ?

The fewer the riders, the greater share of 'french fries'.

(further apologies)

Shall be my brother;

Be he ne'er so vile

What a long winded way of saying you will be there :rotflmao::rotflmao:

Very creative though!

Archived