district 8 - midland - knight's parkview inn

slomo

Stayed at the Knight's Inn in Midland on the weekend - special sledder's rate $60/ night for 2 people- can't fill the truck with gas for that price. Web site:

http://www.knightsinn.com/hotels/ontario/midland/knights-inn-midland/hotel-overview

post-19713-0-24463700-1390776940_thumb.j

Motel features plenty of parking, free wifi, free continental breakfast, fridge,  microwave, good tv selection, hair dryer, basic toiletries, large clean rooms - nothing too fancy, a good basic place to stay with easy access to trails. A good steak house next door, Dairy Queen and another restaurant Bleu Garden (their spelling) are an easy walk. Pizza and Kentucky Fried a little further up the street toward King St.

There is a cluster of hotels right on the trail, but sledding by noticed parking is limited at one, you cross four lanes of traffic at another, and it is a very busy intersection.

post-19713-0-40523300-1390776942_thumb.j

Trail access from Knight's Inn is an easy ride down a sidewalk to where the trail begins in Little Lake Park. Sled right from your door.

post-19713-0-43761400-1390776956_thumb.j

post-19713-0-01449400-1390776944_thumb.j

post-19713-0-86192200-1390776945_thumb.j

Signage was a bit sketchy when we visited - blinding wind driven snow didn't help much... but after accessing the trail

post-19713-0-36270600-1390776948_thumb.j

Follow the hanging orange life buoys along the edge of the lake to the trailer park...

post-19713-0-40659800-1390776951_thumb.j

The trail through the trailer park can be a bit confusing due to local sled traffic, but work your way south...watching for the 'fish signs'....perch....bass...minnow....and the trail will show itself at the edge of the park. Keep right at the first fork, proceed until you meet the C trail junction....

Left to Midland....right toward Wasaga....

post-19713-0-37129800-1390778282_thumb.j

There is usually a trail from the motel parking lot directly to the park, but snow got away on the plow this year...

post-19713-0-48357300-1390776954_thumb.j

The manager here is really sledder friendly. would like to see more sledders staying and goes out of his way for guests. If anyone reading this is from the sled club in the area, (great job on the trails BTW) it might be worthwhile visiting the businesses on the end of trail 310 for some map advertisements and some trail signage leading to this commercial area.

Good report Slomo!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Don't ride the sidewalks in Midland. It is not permitted.

Don't ride the sidewalks in Midland. It is not permitted.

Noticed you are from the local club.Thanks for the good trails!  Has your club approached the motel to get a trail up through the park to their parking lot? Wondered how cooperative they have been?

To be honest, at $60 a night, whatever the sidewalk fine is, it will still work out cheaper than staying at the chain hotels. I noticed a number of local people sledding up the sidewalk to the Bleu Restaurant as well.

I'm not really affiliated with the club, That is who I support with my trail permit. I do work for the Town though. I think the issue with pushing a trail through the back end is the snow storage. And I'm only guessing at this time, the Parks dept doesn't really want several trails through the park (groomed, we realize there are several tracks). Sure, you can risk the ticket, I'd be more worried about vehicles and people (esp children) popping out from a snowbank to access the road/sidewalk and not expecting a sled coming.

I'm not really affiliated with the club, That is who I support with my trail permit. I do work for the Town though. I think the issue with pushing a trail through the back end is the snow storage. And I'm only guessing at this time, the Parks dept doesn't really want several trails through the park (groomed, we realize there are several tracks). Sure, you can risk the ticket, I'd be more worried about vehicles and people (esp children) popping out from a snowbank to access the road/sidewalk and not expecting a sled coming.

I guess you could always run the street - would be legal then. Maybe the owner can get his snow plow driver to leave a gap between snow banks next year - not much needed to leave parking lot on sled and direct entry into park and the on lying trail.

Too bad this can't be resolved somehow. This area could get a boost from sledders economically as there are two motels proximate to each other that would benefit as well as several local eateries. Maybe the town council could see the worth of making the 75 yards of sidewalk a 'multi use' trail.

If you had access from the rear, you wouldn't need to use the sidewalk.  But I hear ya.

from what I have seen the Midland police are ticket happy 

from what I have seen the Midland police are ticket happy 

They are indeed. Local Midland Police. There was a restaurant on the corner of King St and Prospect. We had to park on the side of the road as the lot was full. We came out and drove down the road to turn around. The road was narrow due to the snow banks so the turn with the 4 door pickup was more than a 3 point turn. Suddenly out of an industrial parking lot comes the cruiser with the flashing lights. Wanted to know why we were turning around, where we had been and told us that we did an unsafe and illegal U turn. In all the time we were there not a single car came by. He finally decided to let us go after checking licence insurance etc.

Coming into town from the east on hwy 12. The speed suddenly drops from 80 to 50 and they often sit there. One on the radar the other writing out the tickets. Last year I guess there were enough complaints it now only drops to 60. You're still not really into town but they don't care.

Driving down King St slowly one night looking for the new location of our favourite Chinees Food restaurant since it had moved to a new location. Nobody behind us. The streets are pretty empty in Midland on a winter Saturday night. As we pass an intersection a cruiser comes around the corner and on go the lights. Wants to know why we are going so slow.

I guess in the small town at night they are real bored and will stop people for just about anything.

Come to think of it, the Comfort Inn and the Midland Inn and Suites are the only two places right on the trail. Wouldn't you have to run the sidewalk (road) to get to the trail from the Best Western Highland Inn? Four lanes of traffic to the trail or to get to the neighbouring restaurants.

Come to think of it, the Comfort Inn and the Midland Inn and Suites are the only two places right on the trail. Wouldn't you have to run the sidewalk (road) to get to the trail from the Best Western Highland Inn? Four lanes of traffic to the trail or to get to the neighbouring restaurants.

Yup... from the Best Western you have to cross 4 lanes of King St to get to Kelseys or 4 lanes of hwy 12 and the Comfort Inn property to get to the trail. Then to get to Boston Pizza you have to cross hwy 12 yet again but the trail actually crosses hwy 12 a bit east of there I believe just before you get to the Midland Inn.

Westay at Kings Inn which is a bit down King St on the west side but we ride out of Port Severn. We are closed up for the winter so don't have anywhere to stay in Port Severn, It's just a place to sleep and have a shower. From time to time though we see sleds drive in for the night. I suspect they are taking trail 310 which runs off of C and around the east side of Little Lake and through Smiths Camp Trailer Park then up Smiths Camp Rd which is private up to King St. That road comes out basically just north of and right across from the driveway to Kings Inn. Small but clean and comfortable rooms at a great price. I think he works out to about $62 a night taxes included. Pizza Pizza and Pizza Nova are not far one north of and one south of the motel. They both deliver. There is also a chineese buffet within walking distance.

Archived