Trail Availability

OK, so I'm getting a bit irritated. I bought 3 permits, we have well over 2 feet of snow that came after an extended period of cold weather, the groomers have been out for over a week. Some trails have been groomed multiple times. We have ZERO open trails. 

Last year the HCSA trails were poor and the excuse was low snow. This year we have no open trails. Whats the excuse this year?

Yeah I have 4 permits too. Lately I have been riding more in KLSC than HCSA. Maybe next year all my permits will go to KLSC.

I live in Carnarvon so I count on HCSA trails to get to other clubs trails. Due to last years experience only one of my permits is HCSA this year and I'm thinking that's one too many.

I live in Carnarvon so I count on HCSA trails to get to other clubs trails. Due to last years experience only one of my permits is HCSA this year and I'm thinking that's one too many.

Easy buddy! HCSA will come thru. They always do. It is holiday time too.

I know the trails will open eventually. It's just frustrating to know that some trails have been groomed multiple times and still show as closed. I was told by the club that 6 trails were ready to list as Limited on Dec 20th. The rail trail has been groomed almost daily and as we all know it's flat with no obstacles. Why does it still show as closed? I think I know the answer but I'm just venting.

Sorry

I came back to the HCSA this year as I do believe in buying where I ride even though in past years the trails have not been up to par with others. I am a past volunteer and know how tough it is to get trails groomed and open. This year they have no excuse. Signage is above average and groomers have been out at least 3 times on trails. I've been told that due to their web person being replaced that they couldn't open the trails. This is not a valid excuse. Having their own website up and running is not relevant to having their paperwork signed and submitted to the District and reporting trails as open. Excuses do not cut it. Telling people that conditions have not changed since beginning of the week does not explain why no report is made on time. They have the volunteers, and paid groomer operators out there getting paid for doing the job. Open the trails already.

I get that they may not want a lot of holiday traffic, but come on. When the trails are good they should be open.

Maybe the blame isn't with the local clubs but with Big Brother "OFSC" mandating to many rules and regs.and generally being a real pain.Seems as though a lot of clubs including Paudash which borders Haliburton are having issues this year. Frustrated as well but know what happens when organizations get to top heavy

I came back to the HCSA this year as I do believe in buying where I ride even though in past years the trails have not been up to par with others. I am a past volunteer and know how tough it is to get trails groomed and open. This year they have no excuse. Signage is above average and groomers have been out at least 3 times on trails. I've been told that due to their web person being replaced that they couldn't open the trails. This is not a valid excuse. Having their own website up and running is not relevant to having their paperwork signed and submitted to the District and reporting trails as open. Excuses do not cut it. Telling people that conditions have not changed since beginning of the week does not explain why no report is made on time. They have the volunteers, and paid groomer operators out there getting paid for doing the job. Open the trails already.

Do they have all the risk management positions filled?

Rumor is that some trails should show open on OFSC tomorrow. 

Rumor is that some trails should show open on OFSC tomorrow.

Pumped. I can see them wanting them to be closed on a mild weekend. That would help keep a lot of snow.

There's an update on HCSA's facebook page showing which trails will be open tomorrow.

Was in Halliburton on Saturday and would like to blame other reasons for trails not being open but there is nothing. We ended up on trails that had not been cleared from the summers brush. I have been a long time permit buyer with HSC but this will be my last year. No one likes to see post likes this but I feel the club needs to hear what the permit buyer is feeling.

Was in Halliburton on Saturday and would like to blame other reasons for trails not being open but there is nothing. We ended up on trails that had not been cleared from the summers brush. I have been a long time permit buyer with HSC but this will be my last year. No one likes to see post likes this but I feel the club needs to hear what the permit buyer is feeling.

then you were likely somewhere you shouldn't have been...  if there was deadfall then a groomer hasn't been through, so obviously the club hasn't opened it yet.    most of the main trails have been groomed now, so it must have been one of the lesser used secondary trails.    .   most of the clubs in the area get to the large deadfall on the first pass with the groomer as A lot of these trails are hard to get to in the off season for various reasons.

No info on trail status this morning,so

took a ride up the B  Hydro line trail, it is excellent!

looked to have been groomed yesterday, set up well with the cold weather.

The HCSA hasn't figured out that riders count on ACCURATE trail condition information. Last season was an embarrassment with their fraudulent " trails status" reports. It was  especially difficult for the poor Club Volunteers on the trail  who had to deal with  irate riders comng from the Kawartha Lakes, Old Hastings, and Paudash systems who were enjoying a great day until they hit (literally !) the HCSA trails. it looks like we are in for a repeat performance. I fought  with which club would get my permit support this season, and thought that I'd give them one more chance. I've been a member of the HCSA continuously since their inception in the 70s but that's it. I'm done.

Eagle and Moose lakes are now staked, a few rough areas with frozen ate ruts.

logging as you exit Moose to north,some buried,frozen wires just at side of trail,just as logging starts,

Dangerous area.wires need to be removed.

Say what you want, but I don't have the ability to volunteer so I am not going to complain.

Great news...most HCSA trails are now available! Check the HCSA Trail Conditions page for details, updated today (Monday, Jan 6). Official updates imminent on the Interactive Trail Guide.  :icon_snow:

What happened to the "Grooming report"? It used to show the dates the trails were last groomed and the planned grooming.

Just when we get all the trails beauty, the weather throws us 6°C temperatures on Saturday along with 20-30mm of rain.

Hopefully it doesn't get that mild and only lasts the one day. The base should be fine. Will mainly affect the road running.

How did the trails hold up today?

Archived