2013 600 Indy

Redfisher

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to finish this season on the 700 classic then sell it for $1800 and go for the Indy 600. Just need to tell the wife...lol

Going to finish this season on the 700 classic then sell it for $1800 and go for the Indy 600. Just need to tell the wife...lol

What kind of man are you! Just buy it and throw the old cover over it. That will work for awhile.

Sled is far from direct injection. It is an Sdi. Good motor but I ride with etecs and I out in easily 5-10$ more on a fill up

Sleds are not an investment . Buy the one you want and enjoy it. 

A snowmobile is not an investment in terms of capitol appreciation but if someone wants to call it that then it is a very bad one.  

But I think your trying to say it is more of a desired expenditure that will promote one's happiness and personal enjoyment.

Sled is far from direct injection. It is an Sdi. Good motor but I ride with etecs and I out in easily 5-10$ more on a fill up

Good to know, It should out pull the 600 etec right? 

These guys like the doo better but they do say the indy pulls much harder... http://www.snowmobile.com/manufacturers/polaris/2013-polaris-indy-600-vs-2013-skidoo-mxz-sport-600-1579.html

not sure how much stock to put in the comparison but the indy does have 20 more hp.  

These guys like the doo better but they do say the indy pulls much harder... http://www.snowmobile.com/manufacturers/polaris/2013-polaris-indy-600-vs-2013-skidoo-mxz-sport-600-1579.html

not sure how much stock to put in the comparison but the indy does have 20 more hp.  

That was a good link. Thanks.  I sure wish we could buy sleds at the same prices that our friends south of the border enjoy.

No crap eh, Some guys state side picked up indy 600's last march for $5900 out the door. I would run out the door for that price...lol

No crap eh, Some guys state side picked up indy 600's last march for $5900 out the door. I would run out the door for that price...lol

That makes sledding a much more affordable game. Last year at about this time, I paid just over $10k for a new non-current 2012 Renegade Adrenaline 800R, with a few fairly pricey options, including the two-up seat with the backrest. I thought it was a very good deal, yet it's close to double what a guy state-side would have paid?  What stops us from heading down to NY State with an empty trailer?

You can  buy state side and save money but its a lot of work and you need to know what your doing.. It's a long read but this gives you an idea of whats involved

Here's a write-up that's long-winded but you'll thank yourself for reading it if you've never done something like this at all. Even you veterans might be interested as things change year to year. I actually did import 2 sleds and a trailer in 2009 and it wasn't quite like this...

Well, I think I can confidently say we're the import masters now. Right to the bitter end, I have had a red-tape nightmare. Do I regret the adventure of importing two relatively old sleds? No. I think for what I paid, they are going to be fantastic machines. Would I discourage anyone from importing a snowmobile from the U.S.? A little bit - be ready to persevere and you gotta have good, solid patience. The following is mainly suitable for Montana/Idaho sled purchases with a Montana border crossing but the general steps are the same everywhere:

Step 1 - find a sled that you want to buy; it's almost universally agreed that Craigslist for the U.S. is unbeatable for private sales (and dealers in some cases), with the exception of the Bismanonline.com network for stuff straight south of us. 

Step 2 - figure out a payment arrangement that's agreeable to the seller; in the one case, I couriered a bank draft in U.S. funds and just payed for the sled sight unseen (they call it a "cashier's cheque"); in the other case, I couriered a draft for part of the payment as that's all the seller wanted. They're pretty squirrely with the money part - it's very likely that a lot of them in the U.S. have experienced scam or attempted scam.

Step 3 - You need a proper bill of sale and the title sent or faxed up to you; these are needed for the info package you'll be sending to the U.S. Customs side. 

A word on titles...these stupid certificates of ownership in the U.S. caused us quite a bit of crap...sucks because they're just a souvenir once you're done. Ensure the seller has the title...a title in their name is best but if the prev. owner transferred title to your seller, that's okay too. BUT when you get the title, the seller needs to TRANSFER IT TO YOU - and, if the sale is happening in Montana, then it needs to be NOTARIZED. Don't ask...just do. The seller should be able to find a notary at a local dealership and other 'official'-type places.

Step 4 - arrange to pick up; if it's for a Montana border crossing then you need to visit http://www.ucanimport.com and grab this form: http://www.ucanimport.com/docs/CBPGeneralVehicleExportWorksheet.pdf

Your package must be faxed (or you can email) at least 72 hours in advance of your crossing with your new sled to an office called "Whitlash". These pencil-pushers are the ones that send the documentation out to your specific border-crossing. 

But here's where it got stupid for us. Whitlash is the central office for all this crap and, yet, there may be special things at each crossing the U.S. side wants to see. In the one case recently with us, the Montana title wasn't notarized (and it didn't have to be, in the end) and in the other case Whitlash just plain 'n' simple crap the bed and didn't see additional documentation in an emailed PDF file (that was my fun).

Bottomline: seeing as how the U.S. side can be a) incompetent and B) not always on the same page in their bureacracy - my recommendation is that you call both Whitlash AND the border crossing to make sure your machine is specifically ready to cross before you go.

Step 5 - Pick up the sled; ensure you obtain original bill of sale and title from the seller (and sign them) then go cross the border; on the U.S. side they will ask to see your documentation (passport too), check the VIN on the sled itself, will emboss/stamp the title that it's ready to export...if all is good. 

If it's not good, there's no arguing really...they hold all the cards. There is some talk on the Internets that you can simply drive by the U.S. side and head to Canadian soil. This is actually true, if you never intend to import with RIV or register the vehicle (making it a tough sell, in my opinion); the Canadians really don't give a crap what you do or don't on the U.S. side - they just want to tax you once you're back home. That said, it's a much much better idea to keep your ducks in a row and, in our case, we lucked out with a local guy in Plentywood that held our rejected 2 sleds for 3 days, locked and inside. We cleared up any and all confusion with the U.S. Border and with a smile they sent us on our way. :rolleyes:

On the Canadian side you need to fill out an import document known as "Form 1". The guys will walk you through it. They may need to see something (label or VIN) on your sled but generally it takes 1/2 hour if it's not busy. There you pay GST and they will take care of getting the Form to RIV.

Step 6 - while you don't need it for export on the U.S. side, it's a good idea to get the recall clearance letter done somewhere in between all this because you will need it to complete the import (RIV) process. Arctic Cat Canada has a lady working for them that fires out the letters once you supply a bill of sale and VIN within a day or two - and it's free. Skidoo is a little goofier (big surprise) and your best bet is to get an American dealership to churn out a letter for you while you are down there. I don't know about Yamaha and Polaris but check because up in Canada it may cost you.

Step 7 - go online to http://www.riv.ca and a) click on "Make an RIV Payment" and pay the fiddler another $200 then B) you can Fax: 1-888-642-9899 (recall clearance documents only)
or E-mail: recall@support.riv.ca the recall letter (don't forget to state your case #); RIV will get back to you (usually pretty quickly) saying your inspection form is ready to download; print off that form

Step 8 - off you go to Canadian Tire or another authorized depot to have them fill out the inspection form and check machine - they usually need to see that the headlight works and killswitch works. Then you fax the form back to RIV; then send you out some stickers in the mail

Step 9 - Now you can register/plate your sled as a SK vehicle...take all the paperwork but generally you just need bill of sale and RIV documentation. You get to pay more tax at that time too.

More fun: in my case, I found out the M7 had an outstanding recall once I had it home, so no recall clearance letter - and there is a time limit of 45 days from crossing the border to get all your crap done. Open Road (Auto Gallery) Arctic Cat was good enough to let me get the part, a steering shaft update (I could get it faster off E-Bay), and if I brought it in they would install and clear the safety recall record on my machine. Almost 3 weeks later with time running out I get the part, and get the M7 to Open Road...turns out the update WAS done and the VIN record not updated - a colossal waste of time and, again, somebody just plain crap the bed on the U.S. side. Anyhow, I get the letter for that one and send both that and the 900's recall letter to RIV. One inspection form comes back, but the 900 is held up because my recall letter was done in July and is now *too old*. A few f-bombs later, I get an updated letter from Arctic Cat and send to RIV. 

Off to Canadian Tire this weekend...I'm almost burnt out but not down yet:eek: I haven't even mentioned how tough it was to get the 900 seller to fax the title...he just kept forgetting. At this point, almost to make a point, I feel like going and buying another...why let all this knowledge go to waste???

The etecs are fast! They are rated at approx 120 hp. We have a 600 h.o poo too 2007. The etec

is stronger throughout the power band. It just

responds instantly Polaris has a lag. The etecs

require very little thumb press (eliminates sore

thumbs completely). Etecs are very clean. Very

little smoke on startup. Clothes don't smell like smoke at the end of the day. The Polaris I can't

even start it in trailer, otherwise it will appear it

was on fire. We love the etec so far. Only had it

one season and 2400kms. It will do around

300kms on a 40 litre tank of fuel, I have the long

track version, never have to carry oil after the break in period either (will do about 1600km, before oil light comes on). I suspect the Polaris new cleanfire system would use 30 percent more fuel and oil compared to an etec. Etecs have automatic summer storage too. Love that feature. Doo can't say you didn't summarize it properly.

Big difference between a 2007 Polaris 600 and a current one. We have both and the newer ones use half the oil the old ones do. New one gets better fuel milage too.

Big difference between a 2007 Polaris 600 and a current one. We have both and the newer ones use half the oil the old ones do. New one gets better fuel milage too.

Good to know! So 150 miles is in the cards?

From HCS...

OK guys, seen it all yesterday. Bunch of guys playing, 1000ft drag in snow covered field. The 600 Indys did it real good. After all the snow dust settled the 600 Indy SP had beat everything that showed up except the F1100 turbos which they never even raced for obvious reasons. Among the carnage was F600,F700,F800,couple of 4 stroke Yamee's 1000 or 1100 cc(don't know what model they were), four 700 XCSP's, 800 XCSP, and a 800ZR(won some heats).
I though the 600 Indy worked real good but even I was surprised to see how many bigger sleds were looking a tail lights of a 600. Lets just say there was a lot of respect for the Indy's after the day was done. There were no Rush's there but I am hearing the Indy will take the 600 Rush from 200 ft on and a dealer told me he run an Indy with his 800 Rush and only beat it by 3 lengths in 1000 ft. I'm looking forward to seeing the 800 Indy go as I think it will be much faster the the 800 Rush. Love to hear your race tales. Anyone.......

Sounds promising.... Another guy was saying he was hitting 93 mph in the 1000' with his bone stock indy 600.

From HCS...

Sounds promising.... Another guy was saying he was hitting 93 mph in the 1000' with his bon

e stock indy 600.

I don't know if you can trust this info. The Indy could have been geared and clutched for top end fun that day. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

I don't know if you can trust this info. The Indy could have been geared and clutched for top end fun that day. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

...but we should trust you?

If power and performance mean so much I would stretch for the Indy 800

I would not say it means everything, I tend to research the crap out of stuff online before i buy... I think my father wants to pick up the 800 indy so I might get a chance to run one.

Sleds are not an investment . Buy the one you want and enjoy it.

x2

You can  buy state side and save money but its a lot of work and you need to know what your doing.. It's a long read but this gives you an idea of whats involved

buddy just bought a 2014 Viper RTX SE $11,400 in Minneapolis friday vs here the dealer wanted $14,600 saved $3g buying down there, Dealer up here has no issue working on the sled, he makes his $$$ on service,parts etc not so much on sales

I hope to try it tomorrow maybe :D

Or get a left over Rush 800 and save

Archived