Lake of Bays Area

aar0n

Hi,

Not so much interested in the snow but more the depth of the frost/ ice coverage. I understand that the swamps are frozen and the small lakes like Kawagama are glazed over. Is lake of bays glazed over in the small bays and still open in the middle

Thanks

Is lake of bays glazed over in the small bays and still open in the middle

I don't know about Lake of Bays, but this afternoon Lake Muskoka near Gravenhurst was definitely open water, although a small bay had thin ice extending out about fifty metres from shore.

Aaron,   LOB wont generally freeze up until around Xmas time.   We are weeks away from it capping over at best and we are lucky to ride it on new years day safely, let alone the middle of January.   have patience grasshopper.

on another note, many small lakes have capped over in the last week and its COLD!   good start to winter so far

^lol. here are a few of my (secret) webcams. These pictures were captured 5 mins ago

As we can see the main part of lob is still wide open but the bays appear to be frozen over. The calm water and cold temps such freeze this up shortly. Kawagama lake is completely frozen up with what looks to be an 1''. THIS IS VERY GOOD NEWS FOLKS!!!

Lake of bays won't be solid until mid Jan, depending on the year. Some winters I wouldn't go on it at all. Xmas is too early for me, knowing that body of water. I wouldn't go any where near fairy lake either. Remember warm fall, lots of rain, high water levels too. Going to take longer this year, even with the early cold. Some years the small lakes barely have ice at new years. You almost always hear horror stories of people falling thru around that time too.

Today I noticed that Muskoka Bay, which is the southern part of Lake Muskoka inside the Narrows, has completely frozen over. Kind of strange to see that happen so early in the season.

A friend of mine on Moore Point in Honey Harbour noted yesterday that the bay in front of him was frozen over. The earliest he has seen if frozen over in the past 26 or 27 years. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come. Every year we regrettably here of someone going through the ice and losing their life early in the season. They see ice and assume that because it is a few inches thick at shore it is right across.

Another unfortunate circumstance is when a 220 lb rider with a 600 lb sled sees tracks across the ice left by a 120 lb rider on a 400 lb sled running at 80 kph. Then he goes out and runs the ice at 50 kph and goes through. Sometimes he is lucky enough to get out alive... sometimes not. Be careful.Be patient. It will come.

i know lake of bays extremely well and it is a veru dangerous lake to be on if you dont know what your doing. My rule of thumb is never go from black point towards baysville. I have seen times where there is 10" of ice in front of my place (across from bigwin island). Past blackpoint it can be 4" because of the swifts and proximity to the damn. You will say that is enough but there is some spots where it can be only 1"! Not everyone knows this and a guy died last season mid feb when he presumed that the ice was ood. Another rule, dont go into dwight bay Always go towards dorset and turn into haystack bay where you can portage to get over to dwight, MUCH safer this way. Last thing is there is almost ALWAYS a large crack about 8" high down the lake from dorset to baysville. Last season I was going 30mph and it launched me a good 3 feet in the air.

My rule of thunb, when the ice huts are out in front of bigwin island I go out stick my arm down there hole and see how thick it is. 8" i ride, 6" i dont risk and take the fire roads to dorset

I hope anyone who rides lob sees this and take these words carefully.

Archived