nunavut - where men are men and women are women - good arrangement

slomo

Most of the members here might have missed this post on Dootalk....have been following the exploits of 300spartans from Iqaluit, NU for the last couple of years as he details his experiences in the Arctic with the 600ACE engine. Thought you might find this part of the post interesting so posting with the author's permission:

"Had a great trip last weekend, went out with a friend about 180km north of town out on the open tundra to look for caribou. We had a kamotiq with our supplies and I had 40L of extra gas with me so I knew I had a range of about 560km. Well, it was quite the adventure as I managed to sink my sled in a patch of water, 3 hours of pulling and we finally got it out. I was quite worried as we were at least 150km from town with nothing or no one else around but yes the ACE 600 started right up, we were very relieved! And lo and behold, the next day we came across some fresh caribou tracks and after 3 years of looking I finally got my first caribou.

Can't say enough good things about the ACE 600. My friend has a Yamaha 4-stroke and together we were able to cover a massive range with the fuel we had. Here are some pics."

post-19713-0-37251900-1365173793_thumb.j

"Expedition Sport loaded up with my gear as we only had one kamotiq (mine is broken otherwise we would have had two)."

post-19713-0-82531500-1365173794_thumb.j

"And here is my sled sunk in a patch of water. I was leading us and I could see that the track we were following had gone over this patch of ice. I tested it and yup, sled broke right through. It was too far to pull out forward so we had to pull it from the rear. I'm glad my friend had his Yamaha 4-stroke as it had a lot of grunt."

post-19713-0-57015500-1365173796_thumb.j

"It was a lot of work but we finally managed to get the back on on solid ground for the pull out. Always bring lots of rope!"

post-19713-0-44249000-1365173798_thumb.j

"We found a pack of 6 caribou the next day and I finally got my first caribou after looking for three years."

------------------------------------------------

Long before returning to Ontario from the NWT and finding a system of trails, used to drive a few ice roads up there on a sled like this one (thanks Ron - GLC) and thought that was pretty hard going...even softer down here on the trails in the south.

post-19713-0-60387600-1365173791_thumb.j

But up where 300spartans rides, there isn't a tree in 1000 miles!

Original post #101 at:

http://www.dootalk.c...e-arctic/page-7

What a rare photo - A picture of a ski-doo being towed :icon_tinykitball::D

THANK YOU for the insight into northern sledding, Slomo. Looks like the 600Ace is perfectly suited for the north.

If the Yamaha got stuck, it would still be in that hole.

THANK YOU for the insight into northern sledding, Slomo. Looks like the 600Ace is

perfectly suited for the north.

Are you ok? Admitting a yamaha is heavy! You must be getting old.

Hee hee hee.

Twas a time when Yamahas required 20 lbs of ballast to make them legal for Sno-Pro racing, according to a recent Supertrax article.

post-19774-0-92902500-1365626522_thumb.jpg

THANK YOU for the insight into northern sledding, Slomo. Looks like the 600Ace is perfectly suited for the north.

While in Baker Lake, NU on time doing a course, guy took me out onto the land and dropped me off saying he would be right back. Disappeared over the horizon and was gone for about 20 minutes. Without 'southern type' landmarks - trees for instance - the feeling of complete isolation was pretty intense. It was so quiet it was noisy - ears were straining to hear something.

Posted this story earlier, but fits here. Guy was out on the barrens and burned a hole through one of his pistons. Took off the head, fired a shot gun shell, hammered the brass from the shell into the hole in the top of the piston, re-assembled and limped back to his village some distance away.

Sledding wise, I think I am more in tune with this type where the snowmobile is part of your day to day living.

Know your Canada!....Baker Lake, Nunavut is the community closest to the geographic center of Canada.....

Yamaha was number one in snowmobile manufacturing in the late 70's to mid 80's before poo passed them, mostly because of the Indy 500. Then poo held the sales charts until 2004 or 2005 when doo passed them with the rev. So maybe yamaha will pass doo in 2025 lol.

• 2 months later...

I want my click back,wtf,,,

hey if my IQ got stuck in that crap it would still be there too lol, she is a heavy ride but I do love it

hey if my IQ got stuck in that crap it would still be there too lol, she is a heavy ride but I do love it

"doo love it" Now you are talking!

You're an only child aren't you?

no love for Doo's in my house..........sorry lol

Archived