First trip to cochrane(ever)

shawnj

This is our first sled'n trip to Cochrane and all I can say is Wow. Tons of snow. Trails are awsome. There are some that haven't been groomed yet following the big storm they hav first of week but we went to Kap and back. 320kms. All those trails were great. Talked to 3 gentlemen from Wisconsin. They left Wawa and stopped over in Chapleau, then to Cochrane. They did the canyon loop today then stayin in Kap before heading to Hornpayne then Duberiville then back to Wawa. That is a trip for sure. They said the East side of the canyon loop hadn't been groomed so was rough going but the west side was groomed up. We will check tomorow and see if its groomed before heading around it. Also the C106(I think it was) that goes from Smooth Rock to the C trail also not groomed yet followig the storm.

good place to wind up the apex

Yup! The only thing controlling your pace is how cold you get. Ran the last 30 kms with the fuel lite on mine. For some reason it cost me $42 to come back from Kap and only $37 in her Apex.

good place to wind up the apex

the yamaha is made for the trails up north...smooth & wide....& fast

I may have a cpl pounds over her. Usually we are withi a buck on fillups but our distances are usually much less. My throtlle may of got stuck a cpl times too thus used more fuel.

Polar Bear Riders just said the groomer just went up the east side of the canyon , staying overnight and coming back in the morning

Polar Bear Riders just said the groomer just went up the east side of the canyon , staying overnight and coming back in the morning

groomer came back last night , as per ther F/B page

This is our first sled'n trip to Cochrane and all I can say is Wow. Tons of snow. Trails are awsome. There are some that haven't been groomed yet following the big storm they hav first of week but we went to Kap and back. 320kms. All those trails were great. Talked to 3 gentlemen from Wisconsin. They left Wawa and stopped over in Chapleau, then to Cochrane. They did the canyon loop today then stayin in Kap before heading to Hornpayne then Duberiville then back to Wawa. That is a trip for sure. They said the East side of the canyon loop hadn't been groomed so was rough going but the west side was groomed up. We will check tomorow and see if its groomed before heading around it. Also the C106(I think it was) that goes from Smooth Rock to the C trail also not groomed yet followig the storm.

if u happen to come down the 'c' from smooth rock to timmins , let me know how it was , thanks

Ok thanks. Not sure if they went up East and coming back east. Will be trying the loop soon.

they do the east side only , west is done by Smooth Rock , you should be first ones on it today , have fun

We started up the east side but was rough so went to Smooth Rock Falls and topped up with fuel and headed up west side. It was a bit choppy the first bit but most of the power line was fine. Got fuel and a snack and headed back east side. It had only been packed not groomed so was not the greatest. Was a good day for it tho. 325kms total.

A shorter day today. 185kms. Went down to Iroquois Falls on the A trail. It was in good shape. Then did the small loop on the A111C back into Iroquois Falls and went back up A toward Cochrane then took the L103 to the A106C. The first 10kms (maybe more) of the L103 had been plowed by had plenty of fresh snow on it. The remaining of the L103 didn't look like it had been groomed this year, was really hard to tell, but there were a few tracks down it so we continued and was really nice. The A106C back into Cochrane was rough and so was the A trail in Cochrane. (Lots of traffic on that part, beat up bad). The best trail we hit today was the A111C, hardly a track since last groomed and about 3inches of fresh powder.

Left cochrane on freshly groomed A trail west. I heard the smooth rock club helped out and met Polar bear rider club part way which was nice of them. Went up the L105 to the fire tower. Nice trail and nice view. In Smooth Rock Falls now, was wanting to do the C trail down to the A106C back to cochrane but the C south out of Smooth Rock not been groomed for some time and didn't look pretty. Will backtrack from here after this plate of awsome food @ Smoothy's.

All loaded up after 4 days of riding. Not a high mileage day today either (200kms) but all was on fresh groomed trails. Even did the L101 loop around Cochrane. Leaving for Camp Horizon near Field for remaining of week. Will be back here again for sure!

A shorter day today. 185kms. Went down to Iroquois Falls on the A trail. It was in good shape. Then did the small loop on the A111C back into Iroquois Falls and went back up A toward Cochrane then took the L103 to the A106C. The first 10kms (maybe more) of the L103 had been plowed by had plenty of fresh snow on it. The remaining of the L103 didn't look like it had been groomed this year, was really hard to tell, but there were a few tracks down it so we continued and was really nice. The A106C back into Cochrane was rough and so was the A trail in Cochrane. (Lots of traffic on that part, beat up bad). The best trail we hit today was the A111C, hardly a track since last groomed and about 3inches of fresh powder.

Here are some pics on the A111C heading north from New L. to Cochrane Feb 12 to 16th,took it back on the 16th.

post-22970-0-10304200-1362072107_thumb.jpg

post-22970-0-60090900-1362072178_thumb.jpg

post-22970-0-14662700-1362072252_thumb.jpg

post-22970-0-03285000-1362072331_thumb.jpg

I remember that exact spot. The day we were on it, it had some fresh powder ontop of what it looks like in your pics. Awsome trail indeed. Maybe I should have a go with the pic upload.

Archived