lake nipissing - south shore restoule trails feb 16

slomo

A heavy snowfall in the area early in the weekend brought white out conditions, but more snow to the trails in the area....

post-19713-0-40672600-1361103551_thumb.j

post-19713-0-53544600-1361103560_thumb.j

Saturday dawned bright but chilly. Didn't take many pictures as with shield heat and electric vest plugged in and fighting with no fog mask, was tough getting camera out. However, here's a few to show the conditions during noodling around on the South Shore Restoule trails south of North Bay.

post-19713-0-67566100-1361103570_thumb.j

Trails varied from excellent to kind of bumpy....and altogether not very much traffic which was the reason I headed this way...

post-19713-0-72409300-1361103583_thumb.j

A colony of Inuit visiting Ontario for the Family Day weekend from Chesterfield Inlet, Nunavut.

post-19713-0-48672600-1361103597_thumb.j

post-19713-0-97104100-1361103607_thumb.j

All in all a pretty good day....

post-19713-0-52243000-1361104580_thumb.j

A couple of observations....signage at the crossings of four lane Highway 11 might be improved for newcomers to the area....I had been at these before, but could see where someone could get lost..... I was sorry to see the loss of small trails through Astorville adjacent to Lake Nosbonsing access....meant some road running on bare pavement instead of more direct access to the lake.

Will get out again today once temperatures go up a little.

nice pics & report...always nice to see new snow...no cross training this wk-end coach

Hey Slomo. Where is the hwY 11 crossing that u mentioned. We are @ Clarion tonite and monday nite so may come accross that area.

nice pics & report...always nice to see new snow...no cross training this wk-end coach

Yes, there was some cross training - posted about it in the Crazy Persons part of the forum. :-) In actual fact have some information to pass on that might help someone - if you get a muscle strain or similar injury and are in a town where you can find a physiotherapist with an open appointment, (yellow pages, google) getting a sport injury massage as quickly as you can helps relieve the injury and shortens recovery time. (complaint time is also reduced) Personally wouldn't have thought of it myself.*

BTW - Nice pics on the family day ride WD!

Hey Slomo. Where is the hwY 11 crossing that u mentioned. We are @ Clarion tonite and monday nite so may come accross that area.

The highway 11 crossings I experienced were on tail D102C and the C110D trail on the way towards Powassan (south) It wasn't too hard for me to spot sled tracks, but with a melt or plow some confusion could result. Safely cross the highway and follow the road. Didn't see any signs about this - they might very well have been demoed by a snow plow etc.

The D trail runs through Astorville as well - lots of pavement through there. Was going for a coffee at the gas station, but turned around due to amount of car traffic and unclear trail direction. Your experience may vary! Have a good trip!

Trails were a little worn down Sunday and icy corners presented hazards. More than a few 'off trail adventures' as denoted by ditches dug in snow by out of control sleds. Also talked to two groups who had a member suffer an on trail injury that resulted in hospital visit. Will be a bad tally by end of weekend I am thinking.

* sport injury massages are not available at Fanny's or the Mosee On Inn.

Holy, maybe I will stay in my motel rm for a bit...

We just came home from a visit in the area as well. Didnt ride today (Sunday) but Saturday was amazing.

Thanks to the groomers and volunteers in the area. Really the only area we found rough was the AD south of A102q on the way to the Portage. The groomer was working on it though. That was possibly the most sleds i have seen in one weekend. Even the Trail from Nippising to Trout lake was smooth. SSR trails excellent and A102q to Quebec for lunch is a must. Scenery was unreal.

Awesome weekend. Staying off the main trails kept us riding on the smooth stuff. Great to see so many out enjoying winter. Surprised to see the number of ladies on the trails.

Archived