Kirkland lake is in trouble.

Viperules700

Just heard on the news there is a huge forest fire just 3km north of town. Hopefully they can control it before it ruins the town.

Just heard on the news there is a huge forest fire just 3km north of town. Hopefully they can control it before it ruins the town.

Here's more info, on an Ontario-wide basis. 28,000 hectares are burning. Fingers crossed for Kirkland Lake and all communities affected.

http://www.sootoday...._medium=twitter

I saw some pics the other day on a hunter forum from KL the other day. The fires were near Goodnight & Nettie lakes. He said the fires had shifted & were heading away from town.

MCTV also had footage on Mon' of a closure of 101 & 144 west of Timmins. Apparently there is a fire between Timmns & Gogama.

There's an eerie feeling when trails cut through these areas, in the season(s) after a fire.

I'm no expert, but isn't this early for fires of this magnitude? It may get hotter and drier as the summer progresses. Let's hope adequate resources are provided for these communities in Northern Ontario.

not to take away from the seriousness of these fires,but does anyone remember a may as hot and dry as this one....im afraid what may be in store here for next winter.......?????i cant stomach another mild winter......i wish the people up north well wishes,and best of luck with these fires

not to take away from the seriousness of these fires,but does anyone remember a may as hot and dry as this one....im afraid what may be in store here for next winter.......?????i cant stomach another mild winter......i wish the

people up north well wishes,and best of luck

with these fires

I sure hope they get rain. I can remember warm springs in the past. I don't recall having a low snow winter, then warm temps in march, April and may followed by about only one third of

normal rainfall for the past three months. A hot

summer could help snowfalls around the great

lakes basin if we can get the artic air to swoop

in. We need the jet stream patterns to change.

I feel for all of the communities affected by these early fires. It is super dry there too. Hope people use common sense this year for camp fires and don't throw lit smokes away.

Smoke was thick here yesterday couldn't see to the end of the lake in the afternoon. All of the fires are listed as caused by human error. Pretty bad since we have a no open burning order in effect and has been that way since about the first of May. Lots of helicopters and water bombers flying around the area hopefully things will be under control soon

It sure is an unusual year. While we were hot in Toronto north-west Ontario locations were experiencing sleet and freezing rain. Others like Timmins that needed it desperately were out of luck. The news last night mentioned that water bombers were called back from other fires since they were having little or no effect and were being relocate to protect Timmins.

Hope and pray for all those affected by the fires. As of 10:00 this morning there is a total fire ban all around Georgian Bay for quite some distance.

There's an eerie feeling when trails cut through these areas, in the season(s) after a fire.

I'm no expert, but isn't this early for fires of this magnitude? It may get hotter and drier as the summer progresses. Let's hope adequate resources are provided for these communities in Northern Ontario.

Canuck, I was wondering the same thing about an early fire season.

Back in the 80s a bunch of us were out for a tour on a Fri' or Sat' evening. We spotted a small fire off road in a grown up field. Us guys tried out best to stomp out the flames w/ our boots. I think my brother went over to a house across the road asking for any shovels or rakes. The old lady asked him if he was going to bring them back. He said if he didn't get the tools her house might go up in flames. He finally got the tools & we got the fire put out.

When we got back to the trucks, a couple of the girls were talking to 2 MNR guys in orange monkey suits. I guess they were getting our names. Imagine my surprise when a couple of weeks later I got a check for an hours pay from the MNR. The memo said it was Bancroft 18.

Saw on the news that the "Timmins" fire was near Gogama.Hope that Kelly and her lodge in Shining Tree is OK and not affected.It's a great place to stop or to stay while touring in the winter.. Derf....................

Archived