Pickerel Lake Lodge ?

mooseski

they shut it down last winter,did anyone buy it. ? Is it going to re open, was a great place to ride from.

thanks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The website has rates for summer 2009. Did they reopen or is this old info?

I didn't realize they had shutdown. I've stayed there a few times over the years.

I didn't realize they shut down last winter, either. Were they open this past summer ?

Like OntRider, I've stayed there as well and have been quite satisfied. Would stay there again and would recommend it.

Any news would be welcome - it's on the list for an overnight this season.

It's a little too early to comment with certainty. It was sold in the spring and was open this summer, but not as successfully as was hoped. The manager was recently let go and the major money family are trying to re-organize. The plan is to be open fully this winter. More news at 11:00.

It's a little too early to comment with certainty. It was sold in the spring and was open this summer, but not as successfully as was hoped. The manager was recently let go and the major money family are trying to re-organize. The plan is to be open fully this winter. More news at 11:00.

well there might be some hope.

• 1 month later...

The last few years haven't been kind to it. I know friends that raved about it back in the 80s for a sledding destination.

Hopefully things work out for the best. While checking things for my motel list I saw that the website was at least dated 2009.

There was mention of it in the lastest MSR/NearNorth sled publication. It will be open this winter, and the lodge will be assisting with the trail grooming to its site.

thanks for the up date.

• 1 month later...

We stopped in this past Friday for dinner, the place is looking good, and they now have their liquor license. Met the new proprietor Bo and we were served a great meal by Sophie. Good, friendly people. The menu is a bit more extensive that other area spots, with reasonable prices. Trails in the area were still decent, though as you'd expect, could use snow in spots. Still enough snow to run the back roads up there.

Still enough snow to run the back roads up there.

That says a lot. Very helpful, thanks.

Sometimes, we look out our window in Southern Ontario, and think 'no sledding'. Not always the case.

Thanks again.

(good info on the lodge , as well)

Hey Ted, thanks for posting that. Glad you enjoyed our lodge. We just joined this forum and want to post info on what's up at the newly revamped Pickerel Lake Lodge.

YES, we are open! It is our first winter here and we as we learn more about running things, we hope to provide a great experience to all who visit. The rates posted on our website are current. The accommodation descriptions are accurate too. We are still working on updating the website.

Restaurant hours are:

Mondays and Tuesdays, Open from 10:00 to 6:00, unless you make a reservation or are a guest of the lodge, then we will open as requested.

Wednesdays to Sundays, Open from 8:00 to 8:00.

As Ted posted earlier the Almaguin Trails are a bit low in some spots, but totally runnable right to our front door. The D and D123 and AL trails are good. I was on our x-country ski trails yesterday doing the first grooming and clearing and there was fairly deep powder, almost got stuck in the softwood areas. We are getting groups of sledders in from Sand Lake, Lake Bernard and Edgewater and they all say that the trails are decent...could still use more snow, but they are happy.

So come on up to Burk's Falls because the trails ARE open and as I look out the office window SNOW IS FALLING! :woot:

Dusan Nedelko

Assistant Manager

Pickerel Lake Lodge

Hi Disan:

Our group of 5 from Horseshoe Lake Parry Sound stopped by for lunch this past Saturday around 2pm. You had a good crowd there and more arrived as we were leaving. Excellent experience compared to the past 2 years(the lunch menu then was chile and chile and chile) lol. Great lunch and friendly service. Trails were in reasonable condition considering the lack of new snow and temperatures. Hoping to make it there again this year.

Cheers!

MP

Hi Disan:

Our group of 5 from Horseshoe Lake Parry Sound stopped by for lunch this past Saturday around 2pm. You had a good crowd there and more arrived as we were leaving. Excellent experience compared to the past 2 years(the lunch menu then was chile and chile and chile) lol. Great lunch and friendly service. Trails were in reasonable condition considering the lack of new snow and temperatures. Hoping to make it there again this year.

Cheers!

MP

Thanks freddy,

We had a great lunch rush this week again and it was even smoother than the week you were here. Thanks for the feedback on the expanded menu...eventhough we do still have chili on the menu :rolleyes: we are very fortunate to have a great chef on board now. Hope to see you again, let me know who you are if you do stop in again. My name is Dusan.

FYI, we have lost some snow, but there's more in the forecast. I'll post up how much as we get it this week.

Rumour has it that Parry Sound may get some snow soon. You're just north (okay, maybe not 'just') - hope you get some snow as well.

Always enjoyed canoeing the Pickerel River... never actually ventured your way from Parry Sound in the winter.

Hope to see you this season.

Always enjoyed canoeing the Pickerel River... never actually ventured your way from Parry Sound in the winter.

Hope to see you this season.

Hey Canuck. The Pickerel River you are referring to IS north of Parry Sound and is parallel to the French River, which is NOT near us here at Pickerel Lake Lodge. I've paddled it too. Our Pickerel Lake, is near Burk's Falls, just north of Huntsville...and compared to most of Central Ontario, has been blessed with good snow. We did lose some to rain, making yesterday (Monday) a write off for riding, but 4 of our guests were brave enough to venture out today and said it was wet in low spots but 'runnable'

BUT

it has snowed all day, and continues to now with about 3" accumulation since the rain with more in the forecast...so I am sure that the 'January thaw' is over!!!

More to follow.

Thanks again Disan,Bo,Sophie and the rest of the staff at the lodge. We had a great time this past weekend and am looking forward to our return visit. Great place! Great staff and good times. Loosing the race against "700" on Sunday did not even wipe the smile off my face!

If you continue serving the meals that you are you won't have enough seats for everyone! Hats off to your Chef. Top notch.

See you soon!

Dusan, thank you for the updates, we have a cottage in Burks Falls, PLL used to be one of our regular stops but have not been for a couple of years. We will now make it point to stop in even if only for a coffee. We are are heading up this weekend, will keep looking for your snow reports.

I rode from there last week,parked my truck there,had lunch.Nice spot,with time the reputation of a great riding spot will get out,and people will once again return.That time I was there,prior to last week,was when they were a private club and it cost 5 bucks to ride their trails, :mrgreen::mrgreen: ,will we willingly paid for cause they were awesome to ride on. :right_on::right_on:

Oh yeah with lunch I had a bowl of soup,,,,it came in the biggest bowl I have ever seen,,,thankfully it was only half full,but still more then enough,, :right_on::right_on:

Thanks everyone above for the good reviews. You just made my day!

As I look out the office window the snow is flying. :woot: Cant see the other side of the lake for snow. We lost some on Monday to rain, but it has already been replaced. Roger from http://www.adsc-snow.org/ says the groomers will be out today. With 10 cm in the forecast today and 10 more tomorrow, plus a drop in temps to tighten it all up, things are looking great for the weekend...around here at least.

Lola, dont you worry about 700. He is just a little :crazy:

Good times at PLL! :mrgreen:

We had a great week-end considering it was what I call a gamble. Limited trails and calling for rain on Sunday.

Saturday was "One of those days" you keep talking about, Sunshine and all good.

Sunday the rain didn't hit Burk's Falls untill about 5 pm when we got back in.

Great food and great host's.

Amazing to be on a lake Sunday and Monday morning it looks like a zamboni just did the entire lake. :banghead:

And Lola will forever remind me about losing the race to "700" after I installed a used lumpy belt on her sled. :headbang:

YES!!! Snow snow snow. Here's a few shots I just took. Thursday, Jan 28 @ 8:30:

Front of the lodge. The pillars had no snow on them Tuesday morning.

pllsignjan282010.jpg

This is what happens when you don't cover your sleds before you go to bed at night at Pickerel Lake Lodge! :lol: These lodge guests must have had a VERY relaxing hot tub and sauna.

coveryoursledsjan282010.jpg

...and it is still flyin'

snowflyinjan282010.jpg

Here's one from last Saturday's lunch rush. Beauty beauty day.

lunchcrowdjan232010.jpg

Archived