Trail Questions (from a Newbie)

Wyatt

Hi folks, got my permit and went on first full ride tonight down the B112B towards Barrie from Orillia. I have a few questions:

- Is it acceptable to sled in the center when you are alone and can see well ahead or should I stick to one side?

- What speed do people go? I was going 20mph-ish and with all the bumps (entire trail was essentially ski moguls) even that was quick

- Do I pull over for people behind me or do they pass me?

Thanks guys, I haven't ridden with anyone yet just been solo so far but real fun nonetheless! 

Wyatt

Someone cares about trail etiquette. Good questions. Pass when safe. Usually people will wave you through. Having a sled whip past you 40mph faster is rude and dangerous. At least get a mirror that goes around your left wrist and keep an eye out behind during the day when headlights won’t give a rear approaching sled away. Ride to your ability and move to the right when necessary. Corners, blind hills etc. Be safe and have fun! 

23 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

Hi folks, got my permit and went on first full ride tonight down the B112B towards Barrie from Orillia. I have a few questions:

- Is it acceptable to sled in the center when you are alone and can see well ahead or should I stick to one side? Depends on the situation, all alone sure, a busy saturday not a good idea

- What speed do people go? I was going 20mph-ish and with all the bumps (entire trail was essentially ski moguls) even that was quick Trail speed in Ontario is 50 kmh

- Do I pull over for people behind me or do they pass me? Yes always as long as safe to do so

Thanks guys, I haven't ridden with anyone yet just been solo so far but real fun nonetheless! 

Wyatt

See above

27 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

- Is it acceptable to sled in the center when you are alone and can see well ahead or should I stick to one side?

- What speed do people go? I was going 20mph-ish and with all the bumps (entire trail was essentially ski moguls) even that was quick

Wyatt

Welcome to the forum. And great questions.  Here is my 2 cents. 

I always make make a habit of riding on the right even when I can see the trail is clear and sight lines are good. I tend to think the sides are less whooped out that the centre anyway. 

Only go go as fast as you are comfortable with and conditions permit. People following have the onus on them to pass when safe. From an etiquette view the mirrors are almost a must have. Check regularly and if riders are close behind pull over and let them by. 

As for speed, you need to be in complete control of your sled at all times and expect the unexpected. If that’s 30-40-50 kph so be it. 

Enjoy your season. 

1 hour ago, Wyatt said:

Wyatt

Welcome to an addiction that has no cure. I suggest you get in the habit of always riding to the far right. this can make riding alone more fun, challenge yourself to stay right all the time, on every single corner, never allow yourself to cross that center of follow that berm and cut the corner. You will find on some corners after many riders have been through it is hard to stay right, they cut the corner and create a berm that will pull you to the center, this is prevalent on left turns, fight it, get your sled out of it and on the right even if you have to slow down a lot to do it. this is fun to do, it is safe, and you will learn your sled, and control of it in short order doing so. In the end you will become a very good safe rider that can incrementally maintain control at higher speeds as your experience allows. When you do ride with others and are following, never ride at a pace you do not feel good about so you can keep up, they can wait.You have bought the perfect sled to hone your skills on, it is light, quick but not over powering and handles like it is on rails. The most important part of the day is when you arrive home to your family, alive, and well and ready to do it again. Sounds to me like you are already on the right track, and are a man that wants to have fun without being reckless, and that is what it is really all about. having fun. have a fun winter and get out to a club meeting to meet some dedicated sledders that live for the sport. here is a link to your local club. https://www.sledorillia.com/index.php/odsc/volunteers/

Archived