Christmas/New Years Ride 2017

DaveTess

Check out my post from last year which was from the  second or third week of January 2017

7 hours ago, extreme600 said:

Hey there.  Great place to go.  Basic, but clean, nice pool, great food, sledding atmosphere, gas on site, Groomers stationed right there, secure and FUN FUN FUN.  I agree with Nunz.  We have been there a couple times now and plan on going back again.  Diane is a SWEET HEART.  No BS from that lady.  They are spot on with their trails, signs and info.  They would never steer you wrong and they make sure you enjoy your stay.  They are in the main hub of the trails there.  Lot's of places to go and see.  A wide variety of terrain and very sccenic.  They love sledders!!!!!!!!!  Can't say anything negative about the place.   Enjoy you won't be disappointed. 

IMG_6253.JPG

Agreed!!!

8 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Area sounds promising, but that motel has mixed reviews. Not sure what to believe. Sounds like basic accomdation and good food. I don't think it is my kind of place to stay for a week though. I know Quebec has awesome resorts in Laurentians. Maybe Nunz can help us out.

If your looking for an upgrade try Sacacomie, Lac Taureau or Esteral...All absolutely stunning places...but your gonna  pay $$$, Vieux Moulin is very nice as well

Cabanon is affordable, 100 bucks a night, has pool jacuzzi(not the best). Food is ok, the munga-cakes in or group like it but my palette is spoiled. Place is dated but clean, they have redone some rooms ask for one of these. Beds are terrible, I brought a 4 inch foam mat to help out. They are upgrading slowly.

The owners Dennis and Diane are great, Dennis runs the groomer operation and will point you in the right direction. Groomers operate out of his yard=fresh trails every morn. Lots of loops to do out of Cabanon, you can travel in all four directions. Koubec, Lac Taureau are great lunch stops.Relay to the north is a fun stop, I forget the name. Black Mountain is a great lookout but snow and safe ice may cancel a visit

18 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Area sounds promising, but that motel has mixed reviews. Not sure what to believe. Sounds like basic accomdation and good food. I don't think it is my kind of place to stay for a week though. I know Quebec has awesome resorts in Laurentians. Maybe Nunz can help us out.

Online reviews are like an opinion, everyone has one and take them with a grain of salt, If you are looking at the Cabanon to be the Marriott, It's not and they don't claim to be, rooms are decent similar to a lot of the places you find when sledding, what they do have is an excellent facility and locked compound for the trucks and sleds and gas and they are truly the HUB of sledding in that area. I would stay there again in a minute next time we head that way.

10 hours ago, Nunz said:

Online reviews are like an opinion, everyone has one and take them with a grain of salt, If you are looking at the Cabanon to be the Marriott, It's not and they don't claim to be, rooms are decent similar to a lot of the places you find when sledding, what they do have is an excellent facility and locked compound for the trucks and sleds and gas and they are truly the HUB of sledding in that area. I would stay there again in a minute next time we head that way.

That is true. I just tend to enjoy nicer places when out sledding. Sounds like it would be a good starting point to do a loop. Where would one start if I wanted to do the two day 5 summit loop? 

• 1 month later...

Hello All

Been doing some research and Tess and I are perhaps leaning towards Passions from December 23 for a week.

Thoughts!

Dave & Tess

Team2UP

Yes it is. It's right on the main trail 93 and there are many loops to do as well as other activities.

Seems like it has everything Tess and I are looking for.

As we are a single couple, Lise has suggested  a Loft for us.

Close to Saguenay for other interests.

Dave & Tess

Team2UP

We're prepared to drive as it's always got snow at that time of year. No questions from what I've researched. We haven't has a Holiday away sine 2013 when went down east for a week and before that was January 1993. Yes 1993. I'm okay with a bit f a drive to be sure I we can sled.

Worth the trip we think!

Dave & Tess

Team2UP

Archived