Wilderness Trail Conditions?

Shivesy

Anyone have any info on the wilderness trail? I've downloaded some maps and have a good idea how to get from Searchmont to Chapleau via this trail. I have heard that the trail is not groomed. Do you need mountain sleds for the journey or can Yamaha trail sleds cut across that area. I read it's about 60 miles long. Anyone been through there lately?

What I'm trying to do is travel from Searchmont to Chapleau in one days time. If theres a better route let me know.

Ronnie

go to halfway haven and get gas and the map, steve will tell you how to get there and have up to date conditions. be prepared they are logging and plowing both roads into chapleau, from about halfway from the turn off at halfway haven to chapleau. no way around it. they are plowing the road and sanding the center for about 25 miles. you can ride the ride and get through it if you choose. could be hard on the hyfax and cooling systems if you dont watch it. short tracks will be fine on the wilderness trail, no grooming but packed down, unless they get or have gotten a bunch of snow and no one has ridden it in days. ski

Thanks for the info Ski.

I'm somewhat unsure of a starting point at this time. Starting out first thing on Sun. morning and looking to get to Chapleau on Sunday eve. I'm looking at the OFSC District 13 map and have a couple of ideas I'd like to throw out there to anybody that could help.

1) Start at Heyden and head to Searchmont. Then up to Halfway Haven. Backdown to the Wilderness Trail and take it up to Chapleau. Is it doable in 1 day from Heayden?

2) Start at Searchmont and go to Halfway Haven. Back down to Wilderness Trail and take it up to Chapleau. This seems to be doable in a day. Not to keen about taking a logging road though.

3) Start at Echo Bay and go up the 106 and hit the Trunk Trail to Chapleau. Is it Doable in a day? Unsure of trail conditions and snow amount around Echo Bay.

I really don't want to drive in the truck any more than I need to once I arrive in the Soo. 17 hours straight through from Georgia is enough. Now there are some things I need to have planned.

1) Lodging for Sat. night. I have contacts in Heyden and Searchmont but if I decide to leave out of Echo Bay I wouldn't know where to stay as of today.

2) Trail Permits Sat. evening. Again I have a contact in Heyden but wouldn't know where to purchase permits in Echo Bay.

Where's the best place to start from. Heyden, Searchmont or Echo Bay?

If your just planning on going to Chap - I would start at either of the more distant places.

Easy day ride. 85 to 90 miles from Searchmont to Halfway. Back track approx. 9miles to big rock turn left North. approx 25 miles to intersection then either left or straight. According to some, logging is going to make a miserable final ride into Chapleau. From Halfway about 60+ miles.

skidooing

Easy day ride. 85 to 90 miles from Searchmont to Halfway. Back track approx. 9miles to big rock turn left North. approx 25 miles to intersection then either left or straight. According to some, logging is going to make a miserable final ride into Chapleau. From Halfway about 60+ miles.

skidooing

skidooing:

So are you saying that you would not recommend the Wilderness Trai? Do you think leaving from Heyden and heading through the Soo up the 106 towards Chapleau would be a better route to Chapleau?

By the way Ox this is the beginning of my route. From Chapleau I'm heading to Timmons, Cochran, Hornespayne,Dubre,Wawa then back to Heyden. I just want to which route I should take to Chapleau?

Anybody?

Thanks for the suggestion Jonesy but I really don't want to drive any further than the Soo or Heyden area if I don't have to. If we leave from the Soo area and ride the D Trail, D106 Trail, F Trail into Chapleau can that route be finished in a day?

Thanks Ronnie

Thanks for the suggestion Jonesy but I really don't want to drive any further than the Soo or Heyden area if I don't have to. If we leave from the Soo area and ride the D Trail, D106 Trail, F Trail into Chapleau can that route be finished in a day?

Thanks Ronnie

can do in one day, did it couple years back, will be heading that same way starting feb.29th-----------nice ride that way by the way

Thanks for the responses. I will more than likely take the Wilderness Trail and will make my final decision before we leave on Sun. morn. I'll try to report trail conditions and pictures of this route at the end of each day.

Bobby :mrgreen: What are you doin :mrgreen:

left heyden at 9 today. made it to halfway haven 12:30. steve gave me a map of wilderness trail smooth riding to

chapleau. 195 miles today.

Archived