another good dump in Parry Sound-ride pictures added

slomo

(now with ride report and pictures below...)

My informal snow gauge - snow on roof - indicated over a foot of new snow in the McKellar/Wabaumik area. Dun-Ahmic trails listed as limited, but with the snow fall yesterday, probably better than that.

Drove up in semi-blizzard conditions last night - noticed some grooming on trails in area that haven't been updated as open yet.

Can sled out of driveway today! Will post further observations later.

If coming up after the weekend, weather forecast indicates rain on Monday, but temps drop the next day...might want to work around that.

Thanks for the updates Slomo. keep them coming. Are you up to your cottage for the weekend?

Going to Bancroft on Friday til sunday. i hear there's a nasty 24hr flu going around D5. Some even say it lies dormant for 72 hrs after first onset. Think I better take precautions.

Was out eventually for about a 100 km ride.....set out down DunAhmic trail 804 on the way to Lake Manitowabing..Land trails were in good shape particularly after several inches of light powder the evening before.

.post-19713-0-95287300-1327186540_thumb.j

Manitowabing was staked, but huge slushy areas even on packed trails next to stake line. Some slush in frozen formation, other slush hiding.... neither very pleasant.

post-19713-0-18858200-1327186560_thumb.j

Crossed Manitowabing 804 and turned around to to re-cross to get to the general direction trail 805 north to C104D. Usually I like this trail as it goes from slim land trails to lakes where you can open up a bit, repeating this a few times before reaching C104D.

post-19713-0-25064500-1327186581_thumb.j

post-19713-0-36250200-1327186595_thumb.j

All water crossings were plagued with slush or frozen slush. Crossing wasn't difficult, but riding suffered.

Decided to go east on C104D toward Dunchurch. Trail is in limited condition, but passable with no rocks that I ran into. Re-aquainted myself with the hill that made me decide a studded track was a good idea.....picture this with no snow and a layer of ice.

post-19713-0-93957300-1327187132_thumb.j

Got to Dunchurch and bought a bit of gas at the Duck Rock.....Map sponsor. Distance at that point was 65 kilometers from starting and gas purchased to fill was 7.8 liters which comes out to roughly 8.33 kilometers per liter or with a 40 liter tank, a range of 333 kilometers. (that one's for you viperules700 !)

A small group was at the gas station discussing various routes. As Bark Biter had panned C101 this morning, told folks to try 711 Magnetewan trail to go south to the Seguin. All thought it was closed, but told them it had been reported open this morning. Off they went, happy.

Myself did not want to go that way as had to return home. Thought - C101 to Dunahmic trail 803 - how bad could it really be?

post-19713-0-83649600-1327186610_thumb.j

Pretty bad really. Groomer was out of action and trail was in hard shape. Learned the four stroke has a nice controlled ascent up hills as opposed to the gunning required to power a two stroke up a steep incline. Engine compression helped a great deal descending hills as well.

It seemed like ages until I reached trail 803 - thought I'd missed the junction! Finally found it though and that is where the batteries died for the camera. Which is too bad because both C101 and 803 was test for man and machine worthy of a few snaps.

803 is a single lane back woods trail, nice scenary, but on this day there were two trouble spots....a three foot deep ditch full of swamp water, and another water crossing which was more slush than anything else. My front suspension and nose of sled disappeared under water going through the ditch and the sled just teetered over the bank on the other side.

At the other water crossing, couldn't really spot the far land trail due to the number of tracks in the slush, so just picked one, went full throttle and hoped for the best. Made it okay.

The res tof the trip was easy after that. Spent the first half hour after arriving home clearing swamp vegetation from the chassis of the sled.

All in all, it was good to be out riding in warm, sunny, face shield up weather, but more snow after some cold would make the trails more enjoyable. Still, you can't knock the work of the Cramadog and Dunahmic clubs who got them to this limited condition.

Was out eventually for about a 100 km ride.....set out down DunAhmic trail 804 on the way to Lake Manitowabing..Land trails were in good shape particularly after several inches of light powder the evening before.

.post-19713-0-95287300-1327186540_thumb.jpg

Manitowabing was staked, but huge slushy areas even on packed trails next to stake line. Some slush in frozen formation, other slush hiding.... neither very pleasant.

post-19713-0-18858200-1327186560_thumb.jpg

Crossed Manitowabing 804 and turned around to to re-cross to get to the general direction trail 805 north to C104D. Usually I like this trail as it goes from slim land trails to lakes where you can open up a bit, repeating this a few times before reaching C104D.

post-19713-0-25064500-1327186581_thumb.jpg

post-19713-0-36250200-1327186595_thumb.jpg

All water crossings were plagued with slush or frozen slush. Crossing wasn't difficult, but riding suffered.

Decided to go east on C104D toward Dunchurch. Trail is in limited condition, but passable with no rocks that I ran into. Re-aquainted myself with the hill that made me decide a studded track was a good idea.....picture this with no snow and a layer of ice.

post-19713-0-93957300-1327187132_thumb.jpg

Got to Dunchurch and bought a bit of gas at the Duck Rock.....Map sponsor. Distance at that point was 65 kilometers from starting and gas purchased to fill was 7.8 liters which comes out to roughly 8.33 kilometers per liter or with a 40 liter tank, a range of 333 kilometers. (that one's for you viperules700 !)

A small group was at the gas station discussing various routes. As Bark Biter had panned C101 this morning, told folks to try 711 Magnetewan trail to go south to the Seguin. All thought it was closed, but told them it had been reported open this morning. Off they went, happy.

Myself did not want to go that way as had to return home. Thought - C101 to Dunahmic trail 803 - how bad could it really be?

post-19713-0-83649600-1327186610_thumb.jpg

Pretty bad really. Groomer was out of action and trail was in hard shape. Learned the four stroke has a nice controlled ascent up hills as opposed to the gunning required to power a two stroke up a steep incline. Engine compression helped a great deal descending hills as well.

It seemed like ages until I reached trail 803 - thought I'd missed the junction! Finally found it though and that is where the batteries died for the camera. Which is too bad because both C101 and 803 was test for man and machine worthy of a few snaps.

803 is a single lane back woods trail, nice scenary, but on this day there were two trouble spots....a three foot deep ditch full of swamp water, and another water crossing which was more slush than anything else. My front suspension and nose of sled disappeared under water going through the ditch and the sled just teetered over the bank on the other side.

At the other water crossing, couldn't really spot the far land trail due to the number of tracks in the slush, so just picked one, went full throttle and hoped for the best. Made it okay.

The res tof the trip was easy after that. Spent the first half hour after arriving home clearing swamp vegetation from the chassis of the sled.

All in all, it was good to be out riding in warm, sunny, face shield up weather, but more snow after some cold would make the trails more enjoyable. Still, you can't knock the work of the Cramadog and Dunahmic clubs who got them to this limited condition.

I think I have the same pic of the groomer, still on camera though.

Yep, C101 is bad

Thanks for the report and pics. Hope you get more snow and things get better!

Hey thanks for the report slomo, its getting there but looks like this season could be worse than last. I havent been out yet. I was hoping for this upcoming weekend but I dont know the damage from todays rain and forecast looks mild. Doesnt look like the slush will firm up this week. We should hook up for a bit of a ride one weekend once conditions are favourable. cheers

Thanks for your report Slomo ! And the pictures are always an added bonus. It seems like (likely because I would like to think) you are enjoying the new sled. Terrific. I say that, because at this time of night I"m not sure how to spell wonderfull.

Many miles of Happiness I wish you ......

Do you anticipate that you (and the lovely and talented Mrs. Slo) will ever be in the Housey's Rapids environs this season ?

Archived