OC.com in Manitoba :)

FreezerBurnt

Rode 70miles yesterday and put my OC.com sticker on my XCR

post-19846-0-47572600-1326676561_thumb.jpg

Awesome!

I miss the 'peg.

Used to head down there on business. Took the train, when I had time. Great way to see Canada.

Ya I plan on seeing the country by train one day too

Awesome!

I miss the 'peg.

Used to head down there on business. Took the train, when I had time. Great way to see Canada.

I've taken the Canadian twice to the 'peg. I've been thru Hornepayne & Nakina by train & sled, by never driven there. LOL

As a youngster, I always wanted to work on the railway, but the entry level position of brake man required 20/20 vision. Had glasses since grade 2. My hindsight is 20/20. Train out west is nice, to the Maritimes is a good trip as well.

As a youngster, I always wanted to work on the railway, but the entry level position of brake man required 20/20 vision. Had glasses since grade 2. My hindsight is 20/20. Train out west is nice, to the Maritimes is a good trip as well.

I've seen the guys switching the cars into the plant during the winter. That can't be too enjoyable hanging off a box car in the middle of a snowstorm.

I've seen the guys switching the cars into the plant during the winter. That can't be too enjoyable hanging off a box car in the middle of a snowstorm.

how about out here when its -30s/-40s with windchill of -50/-60, We have the central hub of both CNR and CPR here and its wide open

how about out here when its -30s/-40s with windchill of -50/-60, We have the central hub of both CNR and CPR here and its wide open

My 1st trip to northern Ontario in 2000 included 3 retired CN chaps that lived in Capreol. When we were in Hornepayne, a couple of them remarked how miserable it was working there in the winter. They compared the wheels rolling in the rails to the proverbial fingernails down the chalkboard. When we're in Hearst @ the Companion you can watch the ONR guys shunting the yard.

Never did it by rail, but I drove a camper van from Nanaimo out to Ontario. It was very awesome to see what Canada has to offer. There is so much vast space!

Never did it by rail, but I drove a camper van from Nanaimo out to Ontario. It was very awesome to see what Canada has to offer. There is so much vast space!

My favourite part of the cross Canada drive is when you leave Ontario into Manitoba. Just before Steinbach, the boreal forest gives way, almost all at once, to the prairies and scrub trees. It's if you blink, you miss it.

Taking ms. slomo out that way for the first time, I explained to her that huge herds of buffalo used to stampede east from the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in the west, then turn around at that exact location, and stampede west again. That's why the trees stopped right there - trampled. -_-

In other directions, driving north from Edmonton to Hay River, then on to Yellowknife, NWT, usually in late August on return from vacation. ......We usually hit a T intersection at Enterprise,NWT, at 9:30 pm on all our five trips- one way went to Yellowknife, the other to Hay River - or you could turn around and go back south. The sky was always purple, the tall spindly pine trees looked like broken fingers sticking up and already there was a chill in the air. At that precise point, we knew we'd be spending another winter in the arctic.

Archived