Awesome Weekend! - 646kms (report)

yamisxr

Well the annual guys weekend went superbly this year, although more then one tree was hurt. Our newest group member earned the nickname "Straight Turn". Here is the report:

Day 1 - Friday

Left my house in Ramara (near the narrows in Orillia) and hit the B trail across Couchiching.

B trail (Lk. Couch) to MOST204 (north up Couchiching).

204 to MSR #15 (15 was limited and bumpy especially closer to Gravenhurst)

15 to C101B (C101B was groomed and great!)

C101B to D North (Again, hats off to the groomers for working with little through Gravenhurst. Closer to Bracebridge and further north was excellent.)

We stopped in Bracebridge at the DQ for lunch.

We took the MSR#37 bypass to rejoin D and then on up to Sprucedale to top up the gas.

From Sprucedale we took MRR 704 to MRR 711 and then C104D in Magnetawan to my cottage.

Total 217kms

Day 2 - Saturday

Left the cottage on C104D towards Sundridge (trail was freshly groomed - nice)

We took NN410 up to South River and joined C105D eastbound to D South. (again awesome conditions especially on the forest access roads)

At D123 we headed for Burks Falls and then on down to D again (the Seguin trail) towards Sprucedale for another top up of fuel).

We stayed on the Seguin (really good condition considering all the traffic) as it changed to C103D.

We thought we'd rip up the C101 (one of my favourite trails) but it was awful. Several bad washouts and not enough snow to groom it well.

At MRR 703 we ripped across Neighick lake to stop at my buddy's place.

From there we continued down on to Ahmic Lake C104D back to the cottage.

Total 232 kms.

Day 3 - Sunday

We made first tracks on groomed trail with 4 to 6 inches of fresh snow from C104D to MRR 711 to C103D to D South almost to MSR 37 before we saw any other tracks.

MSR 37 was a little rough for the first half and then the second half was tabletop.

Just North of Bracebridge it began to snow quite hard.

We stopped in Bracebride to top up at the CTC gas bar and eat at Pizza Pizza.

From there down to C101B and MSR 15 visibility went from bad to zero visibility quite frequently.

Just before the first ice crossing on 15 heading south, we caught up with 3 sledders (one was a STOP officer) and together we spread abreast on the ice trying to find the next stake as we slowly made our way across.

Just before the trail continued on to Sparrow Lake, the STOP officer told us he was going to take the roads to the south end of Sparrow. I said we were headed for Orillia and he said to follow him and he'd get back on the trails at the south end.

We picked up 15 again to MOST 204 and this time we stayed on the 204 Land Trail down to B105C to B trail and on to Lake Couchiching. Again we used braille to pick our way from stake to stake (pretty scary even when I know where I am!).

Made it home at 3:15pm.

Total 202kms

Sorry for the long story, but this is the first year in 4 yrs that we could sled from door to door. Here's to more good sleddin' ahead! :woot:

Great report! Our group did alot of those trails on Saturday and Sunday and encountered the same conditions. It's a little scary scearching for the next stake in white out conditions but on reflection, at the end of the day it's a hell of an adrenaline rush!! :D

Great report! Our group did alot of those trails on Saturday and Sunday and encountered the same conditions. It's a little scary scearching for the next stake in white out conditions but on reflection, at the end of the day it's a hell of an adrenaline rush!! :D

I was out on Sunday in the Mt Forest area. There were times I could not see the trail in front of my sled. My only guide was the feel of the hard pack or soft edges. Scary!!

yamisxr - thanks for posting. A report on a sled trip or trail conditions is never too long :D

You're right, it's been a long time since you would have been able to sled door to door. Conditions are sure shaping up !

Archived