HCSA Trail 2 Changes

Fred Quimby

What used to be the HCSA trail 2 is now a connector trail and is denoted as B112. It runs from Pine Springs to Minden and over to the B103. The QE park trails are still closed.

thanks for the info, why are the park trails closed anyway?

thanks for the info, why are the park trails closed anyway?

They have been closed for years. There are bridges in the park that require replacement and as I understand it, there is a HUGE amount of red tape to sort through as the park is Federal land, yet the Province also has a hand in it as does the MNR. A lot more BS to replace bridges than a club would normally deal with. The bridges were wrecked by off roading jeeps. There have been petitions signed for the Feds to bump up this project in priority, but we all know how they work. I was informed that there has to be three separate studies done and an MNR approval before work can begin!

buckhorn club went through something similar to just recover a bridge in green's mountain couple years ago.

been seeing trails closed on the hsca map just never knew why, it seems the off road jeeps to so much damage then just drive away and not give a crap about other user groups, starting to think these clubs need a permit that's at least the value of ours just to go reapiring there seasonal damge

buckhorn club went through something similar to just recover a bridge in green's mountain couple years ago.

been seeing trails closed on the hsca map just never knew why, it seems the off road jeeps to so much damage then just drive away and not give a crap about other user groups, starting to think these clubs need a permit that's at least the value of ours just to go reapiring there seasonal damge

off road jeeps ! That must be it. Saw some ugly damage when we were out on Trail Prep this past weekend. Ripped up trail and deep ruts - one area so badly damaged that the tops of the culverts were exposed ! But I was puzzled because the width of the track was much greater than an atv. I wondered about a small suv. But ! off road jeeps ! Could well be !

Unfortunately, this sort of activity could very well cost us some trails. Landowners are understanding people but it only goes so far. After all, it IS there land !

off road jeeps ! That must be it. Saw some ugly damage when we were out on Trail Prep this past weekend. Ripped up trail and deep ruts - one area so badly damaged that the tops of the culverts were exposed ! But I was puzzled because the width of the track was much greater than an atv. I wondered about a small suv. But ! off road jeeps ! Could well be !

Unfortunately, this sort of activity could very well cost us some trails. Landowners are understanding people but it only goes so far. After all, it IS there land !

There are quite a few off roaders in the Haliburton area. They likely drift over your way too. Popular are those older Suzuki Sidekicks, which are barely wider than an ATV or side-by-side! They are light, easy to fix and cheaper to fix than a Jeep Wrangler. They have pissed off landowners in my area, tearing through private property, gardens, and farmland! A lot of ATVers get blamed! It sure could cost us trails!

I have seen convoys of these vehicles numbering ten or more. That does a lot of tearing up of trails...a lot more than ATV's do! I would hope that the QE park get's re-opened again someday.

Fred where are the police in all of this. They know its going on , maybe a little time spent in these trouble areas would cure a lot of this. In the end it always seem to be the sledders that get screwed. Albeit the opp sure are out in force once the sledding season starts. Don't get me wrong i like to see them keeping things safe for snowmobiling but maybe its time to cash in on these people that are really causing the problems.

We've sledded in your area a number of times for our weekly tour and hope to enjoy the haliburton trails again.

Maybe we should post 'No Trespassing" signs while we're out there? Those Red Dots on White background are very effective. Now I know some of you will say "a sign makes no difference", but a new landowner in our area plastered his land with them and it's been very effective.

Think about it. Many of you assist with trail preparation. With the landowner's permission, we could be signing their property.

There are quite a few off roaders in the Haliburton area. They likely drift over your way too. Popular are those older Suzuki Sidekicks, which are barely wider than an ATV or side-by-side! They are light, easy to fix and cheaper to fix than a Jeep Wrangler. They have pissed off landowners in my area, tearing through private property, gardens, and farmland! A lot of ATVers get blamed! It sure could cost us trails!

I have seen convoys of these vehicles numbering ten or more. That does a lot of tearing up of trails...a lot more than ATV's do! I would hope that the QE park get's re-opened again someday.

my wife has a tracker...ez...when there was trouble at ragged rapids....the game warden showed up & made it rough on entrance...the americans hired their own security to keep people off their side...fred how were the american able to purchase that peice...was it not park land too

Fred where are the police in all of this. They know its going on , maybe a little time spent in these trouble areas would cure a lot of this. In the end it always seem to be the sledders that get screwed. Albeit the opp sure are out in force once the sledding season starts. Don't get me wrong i like to see them keeping things safe for snowmobiling but maybe its time to cash in on these people that are really causing the problems.

We've sledded in your area a number of times for our weekly tour and hope to enjoy the haliburton trails again.

The OPP are out (SAVE team), they do lay charges and when we warden with the ATV club we also have a Provincial By-law officer out with us to hand out hefty fines. The problem with the local OPP is that they don't always have the manpower to run the SAVE unit's. They do respond to major complaints and do ride the trails, but they are not out there every day. Wish they were. Last year I don't think they had staff trained for ATV/water/ or snow, so there was no patrolling. All $$$.

Maybe we should post 'No Trespassing" signs while we're out there? Those Red Dots on White background are very effective. Now I know some of you will say "a sign makes no difference", but a new landowner in our area plastered his land with them and it's been very effective.

Think about it. Many of you assist with trail preparation. With the landowner's permission, we could be signing their property.

Would love to set up a "game cam" to capture some license plates.

Would love to set up a "game cam" to capture some license plates.

Awesome idea!

I think if you hid it well, yet aimed the cam at an appropriate spot on the trail, you would have little trouble catching the SOB's who are trespassing or wreaking havoc.

Awesome idea!

x2

my wife has a tracker...ez...when there was trouble at ragged rapids....the game warden showed up & made it rough on entrance...the americans hired their own security to keep people off their side...fred how were the american able to purchase that peice...was it not park land too

I "think" they purchased it before it was designated the QE Wetlands/Wildlands or whatever it is called. The QE was designated only in 2002.

I "think" they purchased it before it was designated the QE Wetlands/Wildlands or whatever it is called. The QE was designated only in 2002.

I think you are right STG. I am not 100% positive though. I was told that because the Province, Feds and MNR have a say in the park..all three have to be on the same page when it comes time to repair bridges and fix the trails. The usual permit hassle and then SOME!

I was also told that they (HCSA) still show the trails on their map as "closed" as they apparently give up the right to use the trails if they delete them from their map system? Anybody know if this is true? At one time HCSA trail 5 used to run a lot farther than it does today. It was shown as closed through West Guilford for years and now it is off the map totally. Apparently the landowner issue will never be resolved and the club had abandoned the hope of re-opening that trail.

I think if you hid it well, yet aimed the cam at an appropriate spot on the trail, you would have little trouble catching the SOB's who are trespassing or wreaking havoc.

Or at least know where to put the snipers! :D

"Some 2" X 8"'s with some four inch ardox nails hammered through and hidden in the leaves..will fix a set of ATV tires.

Ned...Ned...Ya gotta a purdy mouth Ned.

Followed by the Ned Beatty nightmare ! :shock:

Ned is my pal...

He is a handsome feller!

Archived