Anyone familiar with trails around Manitoulin Island/Espanola?

yamahas

So I am planning a trip up the the grand parents cottage this winter.

I would like to know if there would be trail access to their cottage or would I need to drive up there. It would save me 2 hrs of driving and gain some sledding time to park the truck in Sudbury and ride up to Birch Island.

Their place is on Old village road (or I think used to be called okachobee spelling? side road). It looks like there is a trail D110 that may go across the lake side of their place but I am not sure how I would access the building since it is a steep hill far from the road.

If there are any locals from the area (maybe Manitoulin Island?) that would know how I could get onto Old Village Road via sled from the D110 trail that would be great!

Thanks

Nobody know?

There are a couple of members here from the island and north shore but I haven't seen them on-line yet this year.

Manitoulin is a ride I'd love to do but each time we've looked at it the past 4 winters the stake lines from Spanish or Killarney have been "iffy". We like to plan our saddle-bag trips well in advance and it looks like the year we finally do Manitoulin will be a year we just drop everything and go when we hear conditions are good. Apparently the trails on the island are terrifc.

I have been to the island once during winter. Signage is abit of a problem. Locals know all of the routes and like to keep it that way. I haven't been there for 10 years though, so maybe things have changed. If it is cold enough, you should be able to run on the shoulders of the roads, to find your way.

There are a couple of members here from the island and north shore but I haven't seen them on-line yet this year.

Manitoulin is a ride I'd love to do but each time we've looked at it the past 4 winters the stake lines from Spanish or Killarney have been "iffy". We like to plan our saddle-bag trips well in advance and it looks like the year we finally do Manitoulin will be a year we just drop everything and go when we hear conditions are good. Apparently the trails on the island are terrifc.

I made two trips to Manitoulin Island back in March of 2008. The west end of the island was great, while the east was more like farm fields. The ice bridges are what is needed. I have been waiting every year to see when I can make another trip. I made one trip from Drumond Island and the other from the Sault. Wild crossing from Spanish and also running the North Shore on the ice. Hope conditions are good again and the marked routes are open. Best to check about gas since there was no gas open at the west end of the island when we were there. The interactive map was not good about showing ice crossings open last year. The theoretical border of districts are often where the trail or crossing shows a change while in reality, the entire trail is taken care of by one side or the other.........

I made two trips to Manitoulin Island back in March of 2008. The west end of the island was great, while the east was more like farm fields. The ice bridges are what is needed. I have been waiting every year to see when I can make another trip. I made one trip from Drumond Island and the other from the Sault. Wild crossing from Spanish and also running the North Shore on the ice. Hope conditions are good again and the marked routes are open. Best to check about gas since there was no gas open at the west end of the island when we were there. The interactive map was not good about showing ice crossings open last year. The theoretical border of districts are often where the trail or crossing shows a change while in reality, the entire trail is taken care of by one side or the other.........

There is always gas (F/S Co-op) at the Sheshewaning Indian Reserve which is on the M6 at the west end. The owners live next door and you won't go stranded, nice folks. They used to run an ice trail near the front of our place across to Blind River but haven't the last few years. Otherwise Gore Bay is the closest. And you can probably find gas at Meldrum Bay if needed, check with the General Store, it re-opened this year.

Gas Should be available in Little Current and in Espanola right?

BTW, the club has already replied to my email... Pretty cool!

Gas at Espanola, Little Current, West Bay, Kagawong, Mindemoya, Spring Bay, Prov (maybe) and Manitouwaning

Contact the Rainbow Country Snowmobile Ass http://www.rcsasnow.com/ They are a big help.

You where not kidding about the big help. We have been emailing back and forth through the night helping me find a route with the least amount of time on the highway. He fixed me up with a way to the cottage and even offered to go out to the trails with me when I make it up there to show me. It does not get much better then that.

Bring on the snow!

You where not kidding about the big help. We have been emailing back and forth through the night helping me find a route with the least amount of time on the highway. He fixed me up with a way to the cottage and even offered to go out to the trails with me when I make it up there to show me. It does not get much better then that.

Bring on the snow!

That is SO great to hear !!

There is always gas (F/S Co-op) at the Sheshewaning Indian Reserve which is on the M6 at the west end. The owners live next door and you won't go stranded, nice folks. They used to run an ice trail near the front of our place across to Blind River but haven't the last few years. Otherwise Gore Bay is the closest. And you can probably find gas at Meldrum Bay if needed, check with the General Store, it re-opened this year.

Thanks Faceman, hope to make it back this season.

I am from sudbury and sled in this particular area atleast once a year. Espanola has everything you need from a artic cat deAler to a tim hortons. One spot i see you did not mention is white fish falls which is about 10 minutes before birch island on Hwy 6. There is a gas bar and store there and a bar and grill called the red dog. I would suggest you call the red dog if you want an update on conditions or routs. Great area for sure and great people!

Thanks, thats even better gas wise so I can fill up close to camp. I forgot there was gas in White Fish since I usually fill the car up before I catch the bypass while I can still afford a tank lol.

How close to the Independent and Canadian tire is the trail in Espanola? I will be needing food and my 2 stroke buddy will probably need some oil..

I think the last gas station on the right hand side of the road in espanola is a perto canada. The trail is in the back of that parking lot. That gas station is across from the crappy tire and independant.

I am from sudbury and sled in this particular area atleast once a year. Espanola has everything you need from a artic cat deAler to a tim hortons. One spot i see you did not mention is white fish falls which is about 10 minutes before birch island on Hwy 6. There is a gas bar and store there and a bar and grill called the red dog. I would suggest you call the red dog if you want an update on conditions or routs. Great area for sure and great people!

Alex..Where is the gas station at Whitefish? I've ate numerous times at the Red Dog ( excellent wings) and been a frequent flyer at the general store/LCBO outlet but I can't recall gas pumps?

Archived