Bow Lake Variety, Reopening?

revrnd

They have an ad in the Distr' 2 map this season. I was by the store this afternoon and the sign on the window said closed and there was a large sign leaning against the pumps stating gas soon.

Could any regular visitors to the Bancroft (or Hwy' 28 travellers) keep us up to date on the situation?

• 4 weeks later...

I was talking to a friend earlier this week & he said the gas soon sign has been there for ages.

I was up to Bancroft yesterday & the gas soon sign was still leaning against the pumps & the store was closed. Doesn't look too promising.

Is this the only fuel stop in Bancroft?

No its south of Bancroft was darned handy.

Next closest is Cardiff also on trail if heading south or in town (Bancroft).

There is also gas off Heritage B106E (marked - Shell) just south of town by side trail at the bend.

On the north side of the train station on B106E, you can go across the Millenium bridge and gas up @ the Esso. I'm not sure what access is like to the CTC gas bar near the Bancroft Inn.

I'm not sure what access is like to the CTC gas bar near the Bancroft Inn.

You take the little spur trail to Bancroft Motor Inn and it is practically across the street with a little parking lot running, cross highway and a few yards along the side of the road.

CTC gas is OK if your staying at the Bancroft Motor Inn otherwise that spur trail is usually pretty nasty and a fair way off the B106E.

Desperation only for us to tough that out.

The Esso across the bridge revrnd mentioned is 24 hours I believe but it involves some sidewalk scrapping.

I was up there filling up my truck (@ the Esso). Two sleds rolled in & gassed up. I should've asked their route in hindsight. Isn't the Best Western pretty close? The one sled a Phazer or Nytro had Illinois or Indiana registration.

Also, Coe Rider, I'm thinking the Esso south of town on Hwy 62 (across from the Shell you spoke of) has been closed for awhile now. I haven't been in off the trail to gas up, but passed thru after dark in the truck.

Well let's see if I can add to the confusion. The Esso south of Bancroft on Highway 62 (west side of highway) is open. The Shell, which is across the highway from the Esso, is closed - pumps gone. Access to the Esso is pretty easy - just follow the trail you used to get to the Shell - as per Coe Rider's Dec 8 post, and cross the highway.

The Esso that Canadoo refers to is in the middle of town - a bit of a scrape, but you can always get a McD's and you pass the Best Western Sword between bridge and Esso.

LM, I thought 1 of the stations south of town on 62 had closed. I wasn't sure which side of the highway/brand the closed station was.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, McLean's Station the XTR south of Apsley that was previously owned by the folks that had purchased Bow Lake Variety had the pumps & tanks removed just recently. When Kemp's Shell was closed last winter due to their fire, it was hit or miss if the XTR had gas.

I think the pricing @ the Ultramar near Young's Point has taken a lot of business away.

Archived