Important Survey Regarding the B103 -Haliburton Rail Trail

Fred Quimby

Done IMO this realy wouldn't even be an issue if it wasn't for the few who ride and use with no respect or regard for others, their the ones who light the fires that stir the anti groups and help them gain support. Sledders, ATV'ers, off road bikers and all other user groups need to better to police each other, and by police I don't mean just volunteer trail patrol, I mean everyone ...... to work together to help curb the asshat factor and change the mind set of those few.

Nutter, once again you have nailed really what the problem is. A few bad apples spoiling it for others. Think of it as your own backyard and treat it that way. Ooops there are some backyards I see that are junk yards full of all kinds of garbage. Basically though common sense. We often run a multi-use old rail trail from Coldwater to the top of Lake Couchiching. You see people hiking, slow down and move over giving them comfort as you pass and not throwing chunks of ice and snow at them. Another trail we use has a riding stable on it. We see the riders coming we stop, shut down the sleds and let them pass to make sure none of the horses are spooked. They appreciate it and everyone is happy. Everyone pick up your damn garbage. I have taken to riding with a plastic bag to collect empty beer cans and other garbage I see sledders leave behind. Just show respect for the property and the others on the trail.

thanks for sharing this Fred! this is an important issue in Haliburton, however I think a lot of people here are being mislead and naive to the real issues here.

Snowmobilers and snowmobiling have never really been in question regarding use of the trail. There are a few irritated(ing) landowners that will always whine and moan, and really have no pot to pee in on the subject, never will.

the county has always understood the economic benefit through the winter, and the other user groups are really not active during this time. In all the reviews I've been privy to, over the last few years, snowmobiling has never been a topic of discussion.

The reason for this survey (and its good they are actually providing it so lets pass it around) is becuase of the enduro bikes and ATVs primarily. The enduros were granted use on a trial basis I believe and now the county realizes they need a proper plan and parameters in place to solidify its usage. This is a good thing IMO, for sledding.

I've kept on top of all the goings on with the trail and never once has snowmobiling been in jeapardy with this trail and its users are not a problem. So why are people so quick to jump on other sledders?

Hi Canadoo..

Actually there have been complaints about sledders too. A source I have with the OPP informed me that speed, drinking (leaving empties on private property) is an issue as are sleds going through a few farm fields. The most recent deluge of complaints are ATV related as it was just ATV season. There have also been complaints about the Jeep off road club, enduros, dirt bikes, you name it the tree huggers and farmers have complained about it. Any powersports could be in jeopardy if the tree huggers get their way and I understand a lot of them intend on stacking the public meetings. They want the rail trail for walking, hiking and to watch turtles. The group Friends of The Rail Trail or as I call them FART think this is the best option! Fortunately sledding is such a crucial income during the WInter months that Minden is finally wanting some of that action back into town and are from what I understand really trying to support that. I have said it a million times that powersports clubs need to work together to help each other and promote each other. Strength in numbers! This year I have noticed that there is a ton of ATV traffic in this area. Especially on weekends, this is a growing sport, and the townships need to stand up and listen to the numbers.

There are bad apples in evry sport, game, hobby and passtime. This is just not about bad sledders or ATVers. If this trail turns into a nature trail, it will not be maintained, repaired, washouts will flood private property, garbage will accumulate again and it will become an overgrown dump. I guarantee it! The cyclists, FART group, equestrian users, turtle hugers have not contributed dime one to this trail or its upkeep in time. It is all the ATV and snowwmobile clubs.

Survey completed

That's what happened my way few years back. The right people openned thier month and got the sleds taken off the trial. Than the trail became over grown and unpassable. People complainted about the overgrown trail. Local township said, you guys wanted the sleds off the trail, they where the ones who looked after it and kept it clear, not the township. A few from the local club (for something that had nothing to do with sleding) just happned to be there at the meeting when this came up. They stood up and said, let us have the trail back and we'll keep it clear. Township had a vote on the spot and the trail was reopened. Tree hugger group was told you can't have it both ways.

But that doesn't happen very often.

Which trail was that and when? What a great success story!

Thanks again to all who have participated. Again if you enjoy powersports in the Haliburton area or travel through it, via the rail trail, this survey is important!!

Thanks again to all who have participated. Again if you enjoy powersports in the Haliburton area or travel through it, via the rail trail, this survey is important!!

Hoping to get up your way this winter!

If you are going to go, let me know Mossy. If you plan to go aim for the third weekend in Feb. Hailburton forest does their poker run on the third Saturday of the month. It has five check points and they all have food awaiting for you along with the heat from the woodstoves. Grand price is always a new skidoo snowmobile. Trails are always pancake flat and lakes are normally frozen solid. I will be up there this year for the poker run.

If you are going to go, let me know Mossy. If you plan to go aim for the third weekend in Feb. Hailburton forest does their poker run on the third Saturday of the month. It has five check points and they all have food awaiting for you along with the heat from the woodstoves. Grand price is always a new skidoo snowmobile. Trails are always pancake flat and lakes are normally frozen solid. I will be up there this year for the poker run.

Not exactly sure when we will be going. That weekend is the PET ride.

Oh right. I will be doing the forest poker run. Hace popoerty in the area. Always have a blast and being the long weekend, have to commit to three nights in gravenhurst. That hurts.

survey is done, i use the trail non-stop all winter don't see any drinkin or emptys spread all over, now we all know everyone will stop in fenelon or hali for a bev with there lunch and doing 50 feels like walking on a trail thats dead strait as usual thinks it's the opp making it sound worse than it is

Done,

This rail trail brings a lot of tourism to Haliburton County through snowmobiling in the winter. The town of Haliburton would get no snowmobile visitors if the rail trail was closed. The town better give their heads a shake and leave access to the groups who are looking after the trail.

Done,

This rail trail brings a lot of tourism to Haliburton County through snowmobiling in the winter. The town of Haliburton would get no snowmobile visitors if the rail trail was closed. The town better give their heads a shake and leave access to the groups who are looking after the trail.

If it were not for the HCSA and HATVA this trail would be overgrown, full of washouts that in some cases would drain into private property, there would be gabage, abandoned crap of all descriptions...the list goes on. There has not been dime one from the walkers, cyclists, nature freaks or equestrian users. Not to mention giving freely of time to maintain the trail.

completed it as well...why would they listen to those groups,they contribute nothing at all...its a joke....

Archived