drop in Gravenhurst...or Orillia for RAP Minden then!!!!~!

timmer8uno

We have a group thinking of doing RAP next weekend. I know it will be busy and rough but weekend warrior style for those who work. Does anyone know of a factory or lot that the vehicles (close to the trails) will be all right at for Sat and Sun nights. Gravenhurst would be an ideal run to and from we feel 1000km for the trip. Orillia doesn't look like it will take much longer either. It would be a 2 and a half hour drive (weather permitting) on Sat morning. Does anyone suggest to hotel it friday night.

thanks to all for any help

Thanks Tim

Hey Tim, the last time I rode out of Gravenhurst for an over nighter I was able to park my sled at Howard Johnsons. Its a decent hotel as well. The hotel is fairly close to the trails as well. There is also a drop off zone, stagging area at the park by the rail station/food store. They have the opp patrol there often. The stagging area is right on the trails. Other than that you can contact the snowcrest riders, they are usually a lot of help.

Hey timmer - are you thinking of dropping in Orillia or Gravenhurst for a RAP??? That seems a bit far to do in a weekend from there. What route are you planning to ride - then maybe I can help you.

timmer, there are 3 drop spots in Gravenhurst. One is right on 169 at Gull Lake park. One is across the road beside the Independant Grocers and rail tracks( right on c101d) the third is right at the new Wharf area on Gravenhurst Bay ( also right on the c101d)

Gravenhurst or Orrillia for the RAP will probably be a lot more than 1,000km.

I think it was 1,000km when we left from South River. We did it in 3 days relatively easily.

The first day we covered the most miles. It was a Friday, trails were empty.

We met a more seasoned rider who had done it in 2 but he knew the shortest way.

Our trip used the lakes from Dwight to Kenisis lake. which cut off a huge amount of time.

That is not a safe or sane option this year.

The tight twisty trails of Muskoka are not the best for making good time on. There are some fast trails on the hydro line through the bottom of Algonquin Park. The pipeline trails from Pembroke to Mattawa are fast but the rest of the time you will be slowed down by the lack of clear sight lines of the bush trails. I would bet that adding Gravenhurst to the loop will increase the ride by one day of hard riding. Taking the lakes out of the equation will add half a day.

We stayed a pickeral lake lodge near whitney? Mattawa was the Valois and South river was the Algonquin. All great places and all very different. The Algonquin is the funkiest place.

If you do it, please post what the mileage and the times were like.

Check out the ofsc website before you go. It appears that a lot of trails that connect to lakes in the Dorset/ haliburton area are closed. Add logging to that and you might have to choose your route carefully.

It's a great trip.

Had some friends go around the Park first week of Feb.

They dropped their trailers at one of the motels in Sundridge and left from there.

Spent the first night there and headed south the next day.

They said trails were great except for around Powassin. There was a lot of road travel around there.

We are looking at going from Gravenhurst to Deep River on Saturday 360km by the big map. On sunday it would be nice to make it to Kearney or Sunridge again 360km. On Monday back to Gravenhurst but looking for a way around Huntsville figureing long weekend it will be bumpy there.

Most the group has done 400km days just not back to back. I have read of a strange few doing the RAP in 1 overnighter.

I lot of us been from Huntsville to North Bay and I have experience in Whitney to Pembroke.

This leaves the north part open for all of us.

I always found that the riding is a little quicker when there isn't as many roads to cross and we will have to keep the stops to a min.

I hope this is some more help and if you need to set me straight please do as I have never planned anything like this and I'm only going from friends and reading the forums. Tim

220 miles leaving north from Gravenhurst on a Saturday is going to be a very loooooooooong ride. You will be lucky to "average" 50kph for the first hour or two of riding. Lots of traffic,stops signs, tight twisty 8 foot wide trails. You'll probably encounter a few detours around water holes and washouts along the way as well.

Its going to be the same thing coming back only the trails in Muskoka will be beat from weekend traffic slowing you even further.

I think you may be a little too ambitious with that ride plan.

just mho from almost 30 yrs riding Muskoka almost every weekend.

I totally agree with Doonut here. If I were you I'd trailer further north and drop anywhere between Huntsville to South River area. I still think you are expecting to put on too many kms/day on what is expected to be a very busy weekend :shock: You would do better planning this trip over 3-4 days with less kms/day. JMO

Hey Tim.. Sydney's Bristro/Port Inn/Muskoka Motion is in Port Sydney and on the Rap Trails.. Great place to eat and right on the trail.. They have been a forum sponsor for many years, maybe give Scott or Mandy a call... That's where I plan on starting/ending my RAP Tour. I will be staying there the night before and leaving early in the morning.. Have a good trip and take lots of pictures.. Rick

Archived