Arctic cat 440 opinions needed

b-bry

I'm looking at an Arctic Cat 440Z about 10 years old. I need a third sled for guests & as a spare. What's the reputation of this engine & sled from that era? Everything I've read so far is good.

I'm looking at an Arctic Cat 440Z about 10 years old. I need a third sled for guests & as a spare. What's the reputation of this engine & sled from that era? Everything I've read so far is good.

They were fine no real issues. Actually a fun little sled.

as I said in the other forum you posted in,I drove a 1997 jag for 10,000 miles and it was great,,,, :right_on:

as I said in the other forum you posted in,I drove a 1997 jag for 10,000 miles and it was great,,,, :right_on:

Thanks WB & Ceyhoopers. I'm going to pursue this one.

My wife put over 7000 miles in a couple seasons on her "Purple Fanzy" 2001 440 ES.

Great little sled. Good on fuel, even ok on the lakes with smaller rider. Engine was a little noisey.

ONly one problem was with the flex shaft on the electric start broke once.

avoid the 99 it was a one yr bad design

Someone on the board has one of these for sale as well.

Someone on the board has one of these for sale as well.

Didn't see that one.

I'm also going to check out a 2000 A/C ZL550e. I'm told that's a good sled also. Liquid cooled.

Comments welcomed!

huh? I maintain 5 of them no issues.

The 99 Z440 was the yr they went to a different cylinder/crank just for that yr, same as the Z SnoPro 440, only yr, they went back to the normal cylinders/ engine in 2000 :coffeenose:

The 99 Z440 was the yr they went to a different cylinder/crank just for that yr, same as the Z SnoPro 440, only yr, they went back to the normal cylinders/ engine in 2000 :coffeenose:

Never dealt with a bad one. Honestly all the companies small fans are tough. Too bad that they are gone.

Never dealt with a bad one. Honestly all the companies small fans are tough. Too bad that they are gone.

Ya those Cat 440s are great and reliable, Bors inlaw had 20,000km on his Jag AFS LT

But like I said in 99 Cat tried something different that one yr and then went back to the bullet proof 440 they have had since the 70s in 2000 :right_on:

Ya those Cat 440s are great and reliable, Bors inlaw had 20,000km on his Jag AFS LT

But like I said in 99 Cat tried something different that one yr and then went back to the bullet proof 440 they have had since the 70s in 2000 :right_on:

Actually the 440 has had several reincarnations since the 70s

Actually in 1999 the only real change to the crank was the size of the wrist pin brg. They also came out with the 370 engine later based on the 440. Crankshaft part number 3005-457 was used in 370 and 440s through 2001 (We had a 370 rental exceed 18000 miles no engine issues) The brg manufacturer changed for 2002 creating an updated part number of 3005-914 which at this point the 440 was gone and its little brother the 370 carried on until 2008. It now once again has a new part number of 3006-941. All three of these parts are completely interchangable. We have owned 8 engines equipped with these cranks in our rental fleet all have been awesome for dependability.

porting

I seen that on the crank being on later 370s

Looking through the part fische

There was a thread on AChat about the 99 Z440s

Archived