Hwy 17 Mattawa closed

Faceman

FYI for anyone traveling/ or planning on traveling Hwy 17 east of North Bay to go sledding.5 tractor trailer accident last night around 1130pm somewhere east of Mattawa. Hwy 17 is closed, OPP can not advised when it will be re-opened.

Just read in NB Nugget, closed til at least 7am Saturday.

wow,good to know,was the accident in Quebec???

Local NewsHome News Local News Highway 17 closed east of Mattawa (UPDATED at 3:30 p.m.)

More Photos

Highway 17 closed east of Mattawa (UPDATED at 3:30 p.m.)

MTO reports highway will reopen Saturday at 7 a.m.

By JENNIFER HAMILTON-McCHARLES The Nugget

Updated 30 minutes ago

OTTAWA SUN STORY - CLICK HERE

An collision involving five tractor trailers on Highway 17 east of Mattawa Thursday sent one driver to hospital with non-life threatening injuries and caused headaches and long-delays for motorists.

The driver was transported by ambulance to an Ottawa hospital. His passenger was transported to Deep River Hospital with minor injuries.

OPP said the pile up occurred shortly after 11:30 p.m. Thursday after a westbound tractor trailer jackknifed in foggy, icy and rainy conditions.

A transport truck hauling a tanker containing liquid nitrogen was among the trucks involved in the accident.

OPP closed the highway Thursday evening. The highway is expected to reopen Saturday morning at 7 a.m., according to the Ministry of Transportation.

A resident along the highway said Hwy. 17 had patches of black ice overnight and there were reports of several other less serious accidents in the region.

Some of the pictures sent to the Ottawa Sun by witnesses show trucks strewn across the highway and in a ditch. One tractor trailer has jackknifed across both lanes of Hwy. 417, while several others are sitting, upright but tangled together, in the ditch.

Police said firefighters from Mattawa and Deep River responded, along with paramedics from Renfrew and Mattawa. OPP technical traffic collision investigators are at the scene.

OPP have set-up detours for both eastbound and westbound traffic. Westbound traffic will exit at Highway 41. Motorists take Hwy. 41 south to Hwy. 60. West on Hwy. 60 through Algonquin Provincial Park to Hwy. 11. North on Hwy. 11 to Hwy. 17.

Traffic is being stopped in Mattawa and motorists are having to turn back around to North Bay and then travel south on Hwy. 11.

I hope my North Bay friend wasn't involved. He's on 17 quite a bit coming back from New England.

If I understand that detour correctly if I would need to drive all the way around Algonquin park? Why not just go through Quebec?

If anyone needs tO travel call 511 to get the latest info. You just have to talk to the operator.

If I understand that detour correctly if I would need to drive all the way around Algonquin park? Why not just go through Quebec?

If anyone needs tO travel call 511 to get the latest info. You just have to talk to the operator.

Looking @ a Quebec road map there aren't any paved roads between Temiscaming & Chapeau (across from Pembroke).

Any detour would be North Bay-Temiscaming-Ville Marie-Noranda-Val D'or-Maniwaki-Ottawa.

BTW, my NB friend say that 533 north of Mattawa is not suitable for truck traffic.

Archived