Weekend report - Honey Harbour to Commanda and back

Dogan

We made a trip from Honey Harbour up to Commanda Saturday and then back again yesterday. We had hoped to go straight north on the C making our way to Arbeg and Dunchurch but the C was showing as CLOSED on the OFSC website for most of that route so we opted for a route that took us East and then North on the D. With the mild weather late yesterday and today, I can't say what things are like now but here's what they were like for us over the weekend.

Northbound Saturday - Honey Harbour to Commanda (Approx 170 miles) - fresh foot of snow Friday Night to start the trip.

6 mile lake - some stakes missing spots - extreme slush

C (to C101D) - decent

C101D to Bala - not recently groomed but not bad

C114 (from Bala to C102D) - good but take the roads through Bala to avoid major mud holes in Bala along RR tracks

C102D through Port Carling to Trail 34 - very good but small nasty washout between Port Carling and Trail 34 (we came across a new Rev XP that had it's left front suspension wiped out by this particular washout)

Trail 34 to Trail 33 - decent but snow a little thin

Trail 33 to D - thin base and rough along the edges, needs more snow and then more grooming

D to Trail 37 - quite good for a Saturday morning

Trail 37 to D - south end was good, north end not groomed and a few trees down across the trail

D to Sprucedale for lunch and fuel (97 miles so far) - decent

Trail 704 to Trail 711 - twisty and rough

Trail 711 to Trail 712 - quite good

Trail 712 to C104D - good but thin on snow in a few places

C104D to NN410 - not bad

NN410 to C105D (pipeline) - quite good

C105D to NN430 (Eagle Lake) - decent but thin on snow in a few places

NN430 to Rye Rd. (Commanda area) - Eagle Lake nicely staked, NN430 road travel as good as it gets. North NN430 after road section not groomed and mildly bumpy

Southbound Monday -Commanda to Honey Harbour (Approx 190 miles)

NN430 to C105D - North NN430 getting bumpier, road travel still excellent, Eagle Lake excellent

C105D to NN410 - snow base getting thinner and a little bumpy but not bad

NN410 to C104D - good

C104D to Sundridge - bumpy

Trail 306 to D123 - quite good

D123 to Burks Falls - Freshly groomed and outstanding (Almaguin crew out working on one large washout....Those guys do a great job on their trails)

D123 (Burks Falls) to D - a little thin on snow in some spots but not too bad

D (through Sprucedale down to Trail 33) - freshly groomed and outstanding

Trail 33 to Trail 34 - twisty, bumpy and not much snow in places. One large waterhole that was not there two days before. I'm guessing that this one is impassable now as I write this. The "snow bridge" over it has collapsed and the gap is 8 feet over at least 2 feet of water.

Trail 34 to C102D - fair

C102D to C114 - still the nasty little washout before Port Carling. Road sections in Port Carling not good with the warming temps.

C114 to C101D - not bad...passed a groomer which helped. Roads in Bala now bare.

C101D to C - brutal after the weekend and in desparate need of multiple groomer passes

C to 6 Mile Lake - brutal as well

6 Mile Lake - severe slush and open water holes at the north end before and after the small dam you go around....not for the faint of heart. Lake itself was decent but stakes not all there.

Cheers.

EXCELLENT report.

Thank you.

Thanks for the report Dogan - that's great information to post.

I'll be covering the southern half of those trails in 10 days time. I'm hoping for some cold weather to tighten things up and more snow to give the groomers something to work with.

Great report, thanks!

I came across that same washout on the 102D south of Brandy lake on Sunday, there is a route around it, but it is definitely one that you do not want to try and cross, steep 90 degree banks on both sides, so I dont care what you can skip..

I hit the breakes just in time, but was halfway in it by that point and had to wrestle my machine thu it.

Great report, thanks!

I came across that same washout on the 102D south of Brandy lake on Sunday, there is a route around it, but it is definitely one that you do not want to try and cross, steep 90 degree banks on both sides, so I dont care what you can skip..

I hit the breakes just in time, but was halfway in it by that point and had to wrestle my machine thu it.

We were a group of 12 sleds (It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time) and we roughly split; half going through the big washout on the main trail and half taking the route around it. Cost us some time while we all tiptoed through the BeaverPoop and took pictures of each other dancing over the muck but, except for a few extra pounds of sludge added to each machine, we all made it OK !

Archived