Non US and Canadian documents for travelling

Gasgeber

Hallo,

I am a German going for a snowmobile trip next week. I was wondering what kind of documents (except passport of course) I would have to take (if any) if travelling from US to Canada and back via snowmobile.

I read the ice-bridge document:

I can't help to much on that.But I take it you would be renting a sled in one country or the other.If this is correct,I know for certain that the border control do not like rental vehicles crossing from one to the other.Just been my experience.Don't take this as fact,just another thing you might want to check on.

to cross the boarder you will need your passport, but on the trail you will need proof of insurance for liability and your sled (and your trail pass of course)

also need registration and proof of ownership of sleds. ski

from AAA travel. ski

Beginning Jan. 31, just showing a driver's license will not be enough to enter the U.S. from Canada. U.S. citizens ages 19 and older must present documentation that proves both identity and citizenship, such as either a passport or government-issued photo identification and proof of citizenship (a birth certificate or other acceptable documents). Travelers who do not have the proper documents may be delayed as U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers attempt to verify their identity and citizenship. Children ages 18 and younger need proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate.

The requirements also apply to Americans driving or sailing to and from Mexico, and to those traveling by sea to and from Bermuda and the Caribbean. These changes are significant as compared to the current and long-standing policy that allows CBP officers to accept oral declarations of citizenship from U.S. and Canadian citizens seeking entry into the United States through a land or sea border. Effective Jan. 31, 2008, oral declarations will not be accepted.

Additional information is available on the CBP website.

In More Passport News....

U.S. citizens may begin applying in advance for the new U.S. Passport Card beginning February 1, 2008. The U.S. Department of State expects cards will be available and mailed to applicants in spring 2008.

The passport card will be valid for use at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air.

Learn more about the Passport Cards on the State Department’s website.

I spoke to a friend of mine who works for US customs in Detroit. He said if you are not a US citizen you MUST have a passport (such as Timo) he thought as early as the end of Feb. the passport thing might go into effect for everyone, but that is not set in stone. It is much easier if you do have one.

In case you missed all of that, being from Germany and having your own sled, you will need the following:

1. Your passport

2. Snowmobile Ownership/Registration

3. Proof of Insurance on Snowmobile

4. Direct and honest answers to the border patrol agent's questions - that's it.

5. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a valid drivers' license just in case (I'm sure you require those in Germany, eh?)

#4 = No sence of humor... (Especially the women!) :wtf:

Archived