Sault north is still good...east is not good.

CjGaughan

The trails north on the Soo are still very good considering the conditions. East of the Soo is depressing. I drove as far as Iron Bridge (1 hr east of the soo) yesterday to pick up a horse... I was actually happy to come back to our lacking snow - out east there isn't enough to even think about taking the sled out.

I was out on our trails this weekend for Snowarama and they were very good still, just the odd icy spot or odd short patch of lacking snow. Not too shabby at all.

Pray for snow!

The trails north on the Soo are still very good considering the conditions. East of the Soo is depressing. I drove as far as Iron Bridge (1 hr east of the soo) yesterday to pick up a horse... I was actually happy to come back to our lacking snow - out east there isn't enough to even think about taking the sled out.

I was out on our trails this weekend for Snowarama and they were very good still, just the odd icy spot or odd short patch of lacking snow. Not too shabby at all.

Pray for snow!

That is good to hear. Our group arrived at the Watertower Inn a little while ago and we are thinking about staying the night and continuing to DRIVE! By the looks of things there is little to NO SNOW here. What would you suggest as a best route to get out of the Soo...we are headed to Halfway Haven tomorrow...or do you think we should keep the sleds on the trailer and drive to a more suitable staging area where we could leave our trucks and trailers until March 1st? A quick response to this if possible would be appreciated by anyone local.

Thanks a bunch! :wavey:

Pray for snow!

That is good to hear. Our group arrived at the Watertower Inn a little while ago and we are thinking about staying the night and continuing to DRIVE! By the looks of things there is little to NO SNOW here. What would you suggest as a best route to get out of the Soo...we are headed to Halfway Haven tomorrow...or do you think we should keep the sleds on the trailer and drive to a more suitable staging area where we could leave our trucks and trailers until March 1st? A quick response to this if possible would be appreciated by anyone local.

In the morning drive out to Searchmont and park at the Driftwood. It is $5/night to leave your rig and it is as close as you can get to the start of the bypass trail they are using this year and still be parked in a fairly secure spot. Gas before you get out there. If you need to ask just stop at the new trading post, but that is the road you take by sled to get to the trail anyway. You will cut most of the road ride off and on your return, it will feel better if the road has dried out.

Some people are leaving the rigs at the end of the plowed portion of Whitman Damn Road which is 32 Km. out, but I don't like to leave my stuff out there. The road is sanded and if there has not been a big snow you should take the groomed trail.

I have been staying the night at Blueberry Motel and Campgrounds on Hwy 17 about 5 miles north of Heyden down in Blueberry Flats and riding the north trail over to Searchmont lately. It has been pretty good. That adds about 35 miles getting to Searchmont.

Pray for snow!

.....You will cut most of the road ride off and on your return, it will feel better if the road has dried out.

Thanks for the quick response. Question: What part of the trail is road? How much road riding is there?

Thanks again,

Leanne

Thanks for the quick response. Question: What part of the trail is road? How much road riding is there?

Thanks again,

Leanne

Some of whitman dam from searchmont is road, there is a bypass trail, not 100% sure how far up it is. They are calling for some snow so you may get lucky, i dont think whitman dam road was 100% bare though but don't quote me on that....

I left you a PM but never thought to think of this section of trail. Other than that things should be fairly good considering the amount of snow. I was out around the Searchmont loop this weekend and things were excellent just be wary of icy spots.

Thanks again,

Leanne

Some of whitman dam from searchmont is road, there is a bypass trail, not 100% sure how far up it is. They are calling for some snow so you may get lucky, i dont think whitman dam road was 100% bare though but don't quote me on that....

I left you a PM but never thought to think of this section of trail. Other than that things should be fairly good considering the amount of snow. I was out around the Searchmont loop this weekend and things were excellent just be wary of icy spots.

Thanks for the quick response. I got your PM. We are having a "group PowWow" and will decide what we want to do.

Cheers!

Pray for snow!

.....You will cut most of the road ride off and on your return, it will feel better if the road has dried out.

Thanks again,

Leanne

The road is the trail during years when no logging is being done. Due to logging this year, the bypass trail (which adds about 10 miles to the ride to Halfway) is groomed and takes you around the logging trucks, sand and rocks on the road. If not for the dirt/sand/rocks on the road, you could probably ride it and save a half hour and a little fuel. It is about 100 miles to Halfway when you take the bypass trail which has been nicely groomed compared to 5 weeks ago.

The trail angles off just after the school bus turn around which is about a mile past the Driftwood and maybe 3 miles from the Searchmont store which has gas and a little eatery.

I have always wondered why this main trail needs to run a road which the locals insist on plowing down to asphalt as soon as it gets a little snow on it. It actually seems to have some snow on it this year, but I think it is because without big snows falling all the time, the plowing has been cut back. I guess the locals do not really care about the money sledders bring since very few have any way of benefitting and probably get tired of the noise.

Once out of Searchmont, the trail is great all the way to Wawa. A 0.7 mile patch of logging road 8 miles before Wawa is about the only issue still out there. It is about 75 miles to gas in Wawa from Halfway Haven.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! You should have a great time, it still surprises me how good the trails are when we've got nothing for snow. Pray for some!!

OK..thanks for that info. We just spoke with the Groomer here at Sault Trail Blazers and he has just returned from checking the trail conditions around this area. He has suggested that we drive to Searchmount in the morning and head from there due to lack of snow and bare road riding.

Any suggestion on accommodation in Searchmount and staging....thanks for all the help!

OK..thanks for that info. We just spoke with the Groomer here at Sault Trail Blazers and he has just returned from checking the trail conditions around this area. He has suggested that we drive to Searchmount in the morning and head from there due to lack of snow and bare road riding.

Any suggestion on accommodation in Searchmount and staging....thanks for all the help!

Revrnd has a list of 'motel speadsheets' (stay away from this one Wildbill :))

Good luck.

The Driftwood is $45 per person and if you stay there no charge for leaving your vehicles.

The Driftwood is $45 per person and if you stay there no charge for leaving your vehicles.

Thanks for the info...we are heading to Searchmount today to stage from there.

Archived